Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Yes - 4x the cache as well so should see a performance improvement.

Thanks dude, that's what I was thinking too. Does it contain everything I need? Sorry for being so thick, this hardware is a new experience to me...

Just trying to source the correct SAS fan out cable. Correct in saying I need mini SAS to 4 SAS? Where does power come from?

Last edited:
Soldato
You need the correct direction cable - they are wired differently if the individual connectors are for the controller end.

I've not looked how the existing drive connectors are but they must get power somewhere so same source?

Soldato
You need the correct direction cable - they are wired differently if the individual connectors are for the controller end.

I've not looked how the existing drive connectors are but they must get power somewhere so same source?

Yeah I realise I need a forward cable, but without a part number it seems tricky to pin down exactly which one I need. Some show power from molex, some SATA power connector.

Please remove if startech.com counts as a competitor, but here's a link to what I think I need:

EDIT Link to shop removed, just in case. Here's the tech sheet instead:
http://www.netstoredirect.com/index.php?controller=attachment&id_attachment=3016

Soldato
Woohoo, drive just arrived :D

It has a Mini-SAS connector on the motherboard, and confusingly, the connectors on the backpane are SAS also. I'm so confused...

EDIT: Sorry my brain obviously isn't keeping up. I reread GDL's post, so I should be good to go now when the P410 arrives. I'll simply unplug the MiniSAS connector and plug it into one of the P410 ports, and then I'll hook the SSD into the OSD SATA port. I just now need an adapter so that I can feed power to the SSD as the OSD is that small 3 pin type connector. Can I be really cheeky and ask you to check my images in the spoiler tag to double check my plan will work?

Yup, I think I used the same seller :) - FYI. The battery back cache took over a week to charge in my case. 0.o

I unhooked the SAS cable from the port on the motherboard and hooked it into that for:

A - it gets around the SATA2/3 issue.
B - Raid 5

Then I picked up a break out cable and shoved 4 SSD's in the top with some power splitters.

Last edited:
Soldato
As I put above - not sure if the microserver uses SAS connectors or not - now we know it does.

So the SATA limitation is the B120i in all likelyhood. So yes you might be good to go once the controller is installed.

Soldato
The SATA limitation is on the B120i, thats why my data drives are on my P212, my boot drive and VM storage are on the SATA3 ports on the B120i then my temp disk is on one of the SATA2 ports....

GDL

GDL

Associate
SOB.

Given the socket the Gen8 is, I took a chance on using one of the small AIO water coolers, the pipes fit, the fans fit, even found the wiring diagram to change the fan over from 6pin to 4pin.

BUT they have used a damn custom size heatsink mount points which isn't stock to 1155.

Balls.

Soldato
Server is online, just about to crack on with the roles and features. My P410 should be here today too, so will be able to get the array online tonight :D

Was really tempted to mess about with Hyper V but I think the Celeron would struggle and I don't really need two servers.

Soldato
Celeron will struggle if you put any load on the VM's, I've got 2 Celeron based units running Plex Server VM's though, granted only 1 stream at a time and the servers not doing much outside of DNS/DHCP/File so that helps but will give you enough of room to play with Hyper-V, dropping your VM storage on an SSD also helps, dont forget to format NTFS and setup deduplication, will save you loads of space as well as give you performance..
Also, might be worth checking out the stablebit stuff (drivepool/drive scanner)..

Soldato
Celeron will struggle if you put any load on the VM's, I've got 2 Celeron based units running Plex Server VM's though, granted only 1 stream at a time and the servers not doing much outside of DNS/DHCP/File so that helps but will give you enough of room to play with Hyper-V, dropping your VM storage on an SSD also helps, dont forget to format NTFS and setup deduplication, will save you loads of space as well as give you performance..
Also, might be worth checking out the stablebit stuff (drivepool/drive scanner)..

Cheers dude, very much appreciated. I totally understand that the celeron is going to have zero transcoding grunt, but primarily it'll only really ever be serving one direct stream at a time, possibly two. Then, the limiting factor would be my upload anyway, as I'm currently only on sky 17Mbps (2Mbps up).

The server OS is on a single drive RAID0 with a 120GB SSD.

The deduplication feature looked quite interesting, will read up on that.

Soldato
Both of the Celery's I setup are running single stream into the house they are in.
Depending on what device you are streaming too you can probably tweak it enough to run 2 and be fine as you can set the streaming quality on the end device from 64Kbps up to 40Mbps, should give you plenty of "wiggle" room when it comes to upload speed vs quality vs number of streams...

Soldato
Cheers dude I'll bear that in mind.

Pretty sure it's me being thick, but the P410 shows up in the bios, but not in hp provisioning tools. Should it, or does it have its own menu to use for creating drives and arrays? What about the windows driver?

GDL

GDL

Associate

Pretty sure it's me being thick, but the P410 shows up in the bios, but not in hp provisioning tools. Should it, or does it have its own menu to use for creating drives and arrays? What about the windows driver?

You can do it two ways.

Via the F8 menu on the controller at boot
F8_zpswqxivhtd.jpg

Or via F10 -> Maintenance -> SSA (Smart Storage Admin)
F10_zpsohoga5ut.jpg

If you use ESXi, remember to get the HP version as that way you get the hardware sensors for it as well.
ESXI_zpsrkqicrso.jpg

As a side note, replacing the CPU on the older bios reads the temps just fine so I might drop back on the weekend.
Temps_zpsv65olguy.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato

The 420 is the correct generation so it may be because it's an older generation card - but as above you can do it other ways.

Soldato
Thanks guys. I managed to do it using the F8 method. I had to press F8 to get into the iLO first, then back out and press F8 again to get into the P410 array. RAID5 array created and online in moments. Should I have enabled the write cache battery override?

Funnily enough, I hadn't been into the Smart Storage Admin yet, I should check that out :)

Now, do I create the share and rely just on NTFS permissions, or shall I promote the server to a DC (risky as I've no room for another DC) and fully join my PC to the domain, or just use server essentials...

Back
Top Bottom