Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
I got rid of my gen 8 a while back, replaced it with a little beelink mini pc and a HDD dock. My gen 8 ran a xeon and 16gb of ram but was really showing its age, especially running vm's

Yeah, same reason mine went, I have a friend running my old Gen 7 N40L and another running an 8Gb Gen 8, there's plenty of life left in them depending on usage but for me running VM's was killing it, I waited for ages for HP to do something worthy of replacing the Gen 8 but it never came so I did a Frankenbuild into a Node 804, then shrank that into a 304, now it'll be going into an NR200 when I get home...

Associate
Did you just run the Microsoft software to convert it? Are all drivers OK - including the Matrox sound card?
I created Win11 USB media with Rufus and installed. This has configuration options to help on older platforms. I don't have the system anymore as moved to a more modern platform with more RAM (Dell 3630 with Truenas Scale).

Associate
Yeah, same reason mine went, I have a friend running my old Gen 7 N40L and another running an 8Gb Gen 8, there's plenty of life left in them depending on usage but for me running VM's was killing it, I waited for ages for HP to do something worthy of replacing the Gen 8 but it never came so I did a Frankenbuild into a Node 804, then shrank that into a 304, now it'll be going into an NR200 when I get home...
The small footprint of the beelink make it perfect for my almost silent lab (5800U with 32gb ram, 1tb m2 and added a 2tb ssd) It has ran everything I have thrown at it so far, my only niggle is the virtual nic's are a little funky but nothing that cannot be fixed with a workaround.

Associate
Same here with an N54L, been wanting to replace it for years but nothing cost effective and the old thing just keeps on ticking.

Ditto, I ended up building an i5 10400-based machine as a replacement, as there were no suitable off-the-shelf alternatives. My N54L is now purely for backups and stays powered off most of the time.

Soldato
I have got a N40L in the attic. One day I'll get around to doing something with that. As it is, it has remained as a sort of doner system for the N54L, if ever needed. I'm reminded of the old Ariston commercials.......

.....it just keeps on going.........

I did recently swap out a couple of drives for two shucked recertified WD's. In fact, I have just bought 2 x 16TB WD's, for shucking at some point.

lcg

lcg

Associate
I have two Gen8 Microservers running TrueNAS Scale. One is a backup server that's only powered on for replicating data from the main server.

The main server has a couple of small Docker containers running in a Debian VM.

I also have an N54L running Debian which holds data that isn't often accessed and so is rarely powered on.

Soldato
Well, my n40l died today. I had been using it as a zfs replication target but today I noticed it had powered down. I tried to power it up and it went pop with magic smoke. It didn’t go quietly, taking out the ring rcbo and the plug fuse :cry:

I know it’s just the psu but I’m not going to replace it, so off to the dump it goes to be replaced with a raspberry pi

edit - it was 11 years and 2 months old and was in 24/7 service for a large chunk of that
Some people are still after parts for the microserver so dont just bin it.

Associate
I still have N36l, N40L and Gen 8.

All of them have been great.

I find the Gen 8 is still not a bad machine but to upgrade any parts is so expensive & HP crippled it with too many limitations which is a shame.

I am looking at replacing mine because of started having issues with iLo and both fans are making loud noise.

Which beelink mini pc and a HDD dock are most people using?

lcg

lcg

Associate
I am looking at replacing mine because of started having issues with iLo and both fans are making loud noise.
Are the iLO issues due to NAND failure? Mine developed that failure a few years ago but I found it hasn't affected anything I've used the server for. iLO web UI is a little slow to load, and Intelligent Provisioning doesn't work, but I very rarely used that and you can boot into it from an ISO. Thankfully the fans on mine are still OK.

Associate
Are the iLO issues due to NAND failure? Mine developed that failure a few years ago but I found it hasn't affected anything I've used the server for. iLO web UI is a little slow to load, and Intelligent Provisioning doesn't work, but I very rarely used that and you can boot into it from an ISO. Thankfully the fans on mine are still OK.

Not sure if it's nand failure I know it's a very common issue with these HP models.

Intelligent Provisioning appears to work.

Only error I notice is when it boots it comes up with loading settings from backup.

Soldato
Anyone on here with a Gen7 that wants any of the drive bay things for the Gen7?

Just cleared the garage out and found 4 of them.

Also got a bag full of 8Gb sticks that'll run in the Gen7 and 8...

Back
Top Bottom