Good cross platform authenticator app?

Caporegime
Up until now I was using authy on my Android phone and Windows machines, however they seem to have discontinued support for the windows client, and there seems to be some concern around it not being open source.

Can anyone recommend an alternative app that works on both android and windows that doesn't use some proprietary system?

Soldato
Google Authenticator is terrible IMO. You can't backup or export your 2FA which means if you lose/migrate from your primary device you are going to be using backup codes/other means of resetting 2FA on lots of accounts.

Soldato
Google Authenticator is terrible IMO. You can't backup or export your 2FA which means if you lose/migrate from your primary device you are going to be using backup codes/other means of resetting 2FA on lots of accounts.

I didn't have a problem when I changed my phone from a pixel4 to a pixel7 the other week... follwed this: https://support.google.com/android/answer/13761358?hl=en-GB#zippy=,with-a-wi-fi-connection and it all just worked seemlessly, google authenticator was on my new device with all my accounts on it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man of Honour
I tried the MS one years ago and didn't like it vs the Google one, so continued using Google for my personal stuff. Recently I've given it another go (partly due to work stuff) and it's seemingly really good. I don't know if it's because it's got better or I'm using it differently, all I know is it's good.

Associate
think this has changed now allows you to move them to new devices

Soldato
I've wondered about this...
Google auth is basicaly locked to my phone so i'd basically be knackered if I was on holiday or something and dropped my phone in the sea.

I mean I have back-up codes etc, but that would require me to connect to my home computer, which for security reasons, I don't/cant do when traveling.

Man of Honour
I would recommend something other than google authenticator but i believe its no longer the same issue it used to be as you can save and transfer them now?
On my phone it says that they're backed up to the cloud, but there are reports it doesn't work properly, so I don't know.

Soldato
Old time Authy user here too, I moved to 2FAS. It doesn't have a proper Windows app but it does have browser add-ons. Still requires you to have your phone nearby to authenticate (via PIN or biometric) but it will fetch and autofill the code for you. It's also open source and you can freely import/export codes to another authenticator if you ever feel like it in future.

I do use Bitwarden for passwords and could have used it for 2FA as well, but I didn't like the idea of having both on the same service.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom