Good cross platform authenticator app?

Soldato
I still use Authy. I installed the windows app but never used it so dont feel the need to migrate when it's pulled.

The multi device and backup options of Authy still make it a suitable solution for me. I dont use auto fill as feel its a little step backwards in security if someone was to get physical access to one of my devices.

Soldato
I have been using Microsoft Authenticator for a while now. I haven't had any issues with it and it works as one would expect. It has a back-up functionality which is good.

Soldato
... so installed the google authenticator as a chrome extension and will use that rather than twilio

[had to install it from the old legacy app store https://chrome.google.com/webstore/old
since am not using the latest chrome version - who wants to update chrome very week/month
https://www.reddit.com/r/chromeos/comments/18ivwpl/how_to_access_legacy_chrome_web_store_that/
also
]

Soldato
I'm fairly sure when I switched from my pixel 3 to pixel 7 when you login to your Google account on the phone it sets up all the 2fa in the authenticator. I don't remember there being much of a fuss.

Soldato
Soldato
I use Google Authenticator and everything gets backed up to my Google account and restores everything as soon as you log in to the app for the first time.

Soldato
Google Authenticator is terrible IMO. You can't backup or export your 2FA which means if you lose/migrate from your primary device you are going to be using backup codes/other means of resetting 2FA on lots of accounts.
Pretty sure it does back up. That's what the green tick in the top right is for isn't it.
You log back into your Google account and hey presto all your codes are there.

Soldato
Pretty sure it does back up. That's what the green tick in the top right is for isn't it.
You log back into your Google account and hey presto all your codes are there.
Must be a realtively new(ish) thing then. When I migrated away from Google Authenticator backup didnt exist.

Back
Top Bottom