• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** GPU Hierarchy ***

Don
OP
Umm, I seem to remember that there used to be ultra wide comments on the chart. I'm I misremembering, or...?
Not on this chart, mainly because "ultrawide" is such a variable term, but generally most ultrawide resolutions fall somewhere between 1440P and 4K in terms of performance required.

For example various manufacturers describe all of the below as ultrawide:

2560x1080 (2.76 MP)
3840x1080 (4.1 MP)
3440x1440 (4.95 MP)
3840x1600 (6.1 MP)
5120x1440 (7.37 MP)
5120x2160 (11.06 MP)

In comparison to:
1080P 1920x1080 (2.07 MP)
1440P 2560x1440 (3.69 MP)
4K 3840x2160 (8.29 MP)

Soldato
Thanks for keeping this updated. I personally think tier d needs splitting out though. A 6900xt and equivalent NVIDIA (3090 and 3080ti) shouldn't be in with a 3080 and 6800xt. The performance difference is too great. If you took tier a and renamed that to simply elite tier, then shuffled the tier abc names down one level You'd be able to split this group out and call them tier c.

Caporegime
Thanks for keeping this updated. I personally think tier d needs splitting out though. A 6900xt and equivalent NVIDIA (3090 and 3080ti) shouldn't be in with a 3080 and 6800xt. The performance difference is too great. If you took tier a and renamed that to simply elite tier, then shuffled the tier abc names down one level You'd be able to split this group out and call them tier c.

3090 is barely any better than a 3080 so makes sense to have them in the same tier, at most, there is a 15% difference, on average it is about 10% and in some titles it is even less than 10% e.g.

X3qQW1f.png

rehwjbh.png

P00jWCi.png

As for rdna 2 gpus, given their lacklustre RT performance, this drags them down a tier or so, given how prevalent RT is nowadays, I would even put them a tier below ampere counterparts tbh.

Soldato
3090 is barely any better than a 3080 so makes sense to have them in the same tier, at most, there is a 15% difference, on average it is about 10% and in some titles it is even less than 10% e.g.

X3qQW1f.png

rehwjbh.png

P00jWCi.png

As for rdna 2 gpus, given their lacklustre RT performance, this drags them down a tier or so, given how prevalent RT is nowadays, I would even put them a tier below ampere counterparts tbh.
I disagree mate, it depends how we're classifying the cards. Are we doing raster vs raster, or RT vs RT or overall package? Are we doing 4k gaming performance or 1440p gaming performance. Are we looking at a 15 gaming average or specific titles. Etc etc. I know it's tough and there'll always be nuances in how it could be sliced and diced. What @Armageus could do is two sets of table. One where it lists gpus in tiers for raster. And other that then includes RT. Down the rabbit hole we go haha.

Caporegime
I disagree mate, it depends how we're classifying the cards. Are we doing raster vs raster, or RT vs RT or overall package? Are we doing 4k gaming performance or 1440p gaming performance. Are we looking at a 15 gaming average or specific titles. Etc etc. I know it's tough and there'll always be nuances in how it could be sliced and diced. What @Armageus could do is two sets of table. One where it lists gpus in tiers for raster. And other that then includes RT. Down the rabbit hole we go haha.

Armageus stated further back in the thread it is taking into consideration raster and RT.

But agree, would be better to have separate tables for raster and RT especially since it can be the difference between nvidia or amd being on top.

Associate
It's a rough guide, it's good of @Armageus to have created it as it is. I don't feel the tiers are particularly wrong, they provide a target res, with Gpus capable of doing it.

For the purposes of helping newbies, or people out of the loop, it's fine. If we're talking about a few particular percent, it's a good starting point for someone to research from.

Soldato
It's a rough guide, it's good of @Armageus to have created it as it is. I don't feel the tiers are particularly wrong, they provide a target res, with Gpus capable of doing it.

For the purposes of helping newbies, or people out of the loop, it's fine. If we're talking about a few particular percent, it's a good starting point for someone to research from.
Aye don't get me wrong. I think it's a good stab at it and a lot of effort to maintain. More you discuss it more you could slice n dice it. I was just sharing my thoughts.

Soldato
Armageus stated further back in the thread it is taking into consideration raster and RT.

But agree, would be better to have separate tables for raster and RT especially since it can be the difference between nvidia or amd being on top.
Ahh nice, I didn't see that. Yeah two separate to give a per manufacturer overview and then one combined for a complete overview. Food for thought if @Armageus wants to take it further.

Soldato
Shouldn't the 4070ti be in the D tier as its actually closer to a 3090 than a 3090ti when averaged across all reviews while the 7900XT and 3090ti should be C tier.

Screenshot-424.png

Screenshot-425.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Wow, 1400 posts since joining in January! Do deleted posts count too? ;)

Thanks for this list Armageus. It was quite helpful in choosing a price for my brother's 780Ti now he has just upgraded to my old 3080 :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom