Graphics Welder

Soldato
This is an odd start to a project log as I'm going to have to go backwards before I go forwards; by that I mean that the PC itself is already built but not as I originally planned. I always intended to water cool it but once it was assembled to test the components before water cooling, I started to use it :). Of course I did!

embed

Roll on many months later it's now time to finally get the water cooling installed and hopefully before Santa comes, so that gives me 2 weeks. First I have to disassemble it down to individual components, talking of which this is the system specification:

GPU - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE
CPU - Intel i7 13700K
CPU AIO - DeepCool LT520 (with Phanteks T30 fans fitted later)
Motherboard - MSI MPG Z790I EDGE WIFI (ITX)
RAM - Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB 6600MHz (32GB x2)
Storage - WD_Black SN850X 2TB NVMe (x2)
NVMe Cooler - ThermalRight HR-09 (x1)
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower SFX 1000W (ATX3.0, PCIe 5.0, 80 PLUS Gold and SFX-L size)
Case - Phanteks Evolv Shift XT Black (ITX)

I know what you're thinking, that's a lot of power to cram in to such a small case and you'd be right! The 4090FE just about fits in the Shift XT:

embed

The fans of the LT520 AIO had to be changed to Phanteks T30's later on as the DeepCool fans were just too noisy and not quite as efficient. Temperatures at idle were okay (CPU 42C, GPU 36C depending on ambient) but as soon as the system was put any sort of testing load those temperatures would increase (especially the 13700K) and so would the fan noise. The PC was always stable though, just too hot and noisy as I knew it was always going to be with such a case and components.

For example, here's the stats from AIDA64 control panel during a Cinebench R23 multi-thread run, the 13700K reaching 96C at 230W:

embed

Here's the PC as it's been for a while and how this project log got its name, it looks like some sort of compact welder. It's quite apt as it will indeed be welding graphics in a manner of speaking, whether that be game graphics, rendering in DaVinci Resolve or 3D modelling.

embed

embed

How hot does it get in it's stock configuration? Here's some thermal images showing just that during an all thread run of Cinebench R23.

As the AIO at the top of the case is configured to draw the air through the side panels and out through the top of the case it's no surprise that the top section gets the warmest.

embed
embed

With the top and side mesh panels removed:

embed
embed

The keen eyed amongst you will have noticed the LED strips at the front of the case produce some heat but more interesting is the temperature delta between the radiator inlet and outlet. The images below illustrate this clearly, look at the temperatures marked as "Cen" (for centre) and it's corresponding white crosshair. The image on the left is the outlet on the left of the radiator, right image is the inlet on the right of the radiator. That's a 3.1C temperature delta between them, pretty good. I should add that these temps were taken with the Phanteks T30 fans fitted to the rad and at about 80% fan speed iirc.

embed
embed

Perhaps I should have called it Video Toaster ... who's old enough to remember that?!

Soldato
OP
Time to get this rig stripped down.

embed

embed

embed

See the ThermalRight NVMe cooler in the image above, immediately above the LT520's pump cover? It's name plate always annoyed me with it being upside down. Just to note, this NVMe drive being the primary SSD was always hotter than the secondary as it was always in use by Windows. It really needs this cooler.

embed

It was easy to remove with it only being held on with double-sided sticky tape so came off easily. The name plate won't be going back on, I reckon it looks much better without it. The first mod of many :).

embed

An image of the components laid out taken way back at the start of the build.

embed

Now to the water cooling plan - the only way to properly water cool this level of hardware in such a small case is with an external radiator to move as much heat out of the case as possible. I'll be using a MO-RA3 4X180 PRO from a previous build (Parallel In The Black) that's now being decommissioned after 8 years of service.

Here's a comparison image showing the size of the Phanteks Evolv Shift XT compared to the previous build's SilverStone FT02 behemoth:

embed

It's what happens when you jump from an E-ATX motherboard to ITX, things shrink!

The peak power consumption of both computer's CPUs and GPUs are surprisingly comparable with 13700K + 4090 = ~750W versus 4790K + 1080Ti SLI = ~780W so I'm certain the MO-RA3 will perform just as well again.

I'll be keeping the SilverStone AP181 Air Penetrator 180mm fans on the MO-RA3 as they are pretty good so no reason to replace them at present.

embed

Instead of using the previous build's pump and reservoir combo (Aqua Computer Aqualis, shown above) I've opted for the Aqua Computer Utilitube 150 Pro with it's D5 Next, which can control the pump and fans without a need for an Aquaero which I don't want to fit this time around.

Summary of the water cooling parts:

External Radiator - Watercool MO-RA3 4X180 PRO
Reservoir & Pump - Aqua Computer Utilitube D5 Pro Combo (D5 Next)
GPU Block - Watercool Heatkiller V Pro RTX
CPU Block - EK Quantum Velocity2
Hard Tubing - Corsair XT Hardline 10mm OD
Soft Tubing - EK Loop Soft Tube 13mm OD
Quick Disconnects - Koolance QDCs Bulkhead Male x2, 10/13 Female x2
Various fittings

The CPU retention bracket/contact plate fitted before installing the EK Quantum Velocity2 CPU block.

embed

This water block looks massive when installed on an ITX motherboard, and probably doubles it's weight.

embed

The fittings loosely fitted to see what they look like. I should really remove the protective film on the CPU block, trying to keep it smudge fee as I can :D.

embed

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A slight detour from the water cooling to my intentions with the case.

The front of the Evolv Shift XT is okay with it's infinity mirror and LEDs but I reckon it was always meant to have some sort of screen. I contacted Phanteks a while ago asking if they would ever release a screen mod for this case and they said they were "working on it". This case has been released for over a year now and as it gradually fades from the peoples minds the chances of a screen mod from Phanteks seems ever so unlikely.

I've seen other modders put screens in this case and they definitely look brilliant and I researched my options and decided not on a 3.5" or 5" screen, but instead to replace the whole front end with a 10" 1920x1080 IPS panel.

Some bits removed from the front of the case shows the glass for the infinity mirror and power on button.

embed

The component parts of the infinity mirror.

embed

I'll definitely be reusing these LED light strips later in the build.

embed

Putting the shell back together.

embed

This is my intention but with the case sitting on it's feet as usual.

embed

Soldato
OP
Turning my attention back to water cooling, the motherboard and it's block are test fitted in the case.

embed

Not quite sure if this will be the blocks final orientation, it all depends on where I mount the quick disconnects on the vented back panel and the best routing for the hard line tubing.

We've all seen images of a 4090 disassembly and water block installation, so here's some more :D.

embed

embed

embed

embed

A slight modification to the case as the sponge padding gets in the way of the blanking plugs of the waterblock. A bit of dusting required too from where the 4090 drew in dust when being used before.

embed

The 4090 and it's block and fittings installed.

embed

embed

embed

embed

I did consider modifying the case and fitting bulkhead passthrough fittings to use the ports at the back of the Heatkiller, but even then I think it would be too tight with the PSU installed so discarded the idea.

embed

embed

Now I need to carefully consider where I'm going to install the bulkhead quick disconnects on the back panel, paying close attention to the inlets and outlets of the CPU and GPU blocks.

embed

Thanks for reading.

Soldato
Lets goooooo looks smashing so far! Reminds me of my now retired Dan A4 H2O build, this looks way better though. I love the Aesthetics of this case with the display at the front.

Don't you wish Heatkiller put ports at the bottom of the block instead of exiting out of the side like that. Would be so much cleaner.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lets goooooo looks smashing so far! Reminds me of my now retired Dan A4 H2O build, this looks way better though. I love the Aesthetics of this case with the display at the front.

Don't you wish Heatkiller put ports at the bottom of the block instead of exiting out of the side like that. Would be so much cleaner.

Told you I'd eventually get my finger out of my bum and install the Heatkiller that was sat on my shelf for ages :D.

I'm not sure if the ports on the bottom edge of the block would help me here, certainly would keep the profile lower but make a longer card. If you had the hardware (3D printer, G1/4 thread tap) you could make your own "end cap" for the block. In fact, that would be a good idea for Watercool to provide the option but would add to the cost of an already expensive block.

Soldato
Told you I'd eventually get my finger out of my bum and install the Heatkiller that was sat on my shelf for ages :D.

I'm not sure if the ports on the bottom edge of the block would help me here, certainly would keep the profile lower but make a longer card. If you had the hardware (3D printer, G1/4 thread tap) you could make your own "end cap" for the block. In fact, that would be a good idea for Watercool to provide the option but would add to the cost of an already expensive block.

About bloody time too :cry:

Not a bad idea tbh, could 3D print one and reuse the oring tbh. It certainly wouldn't be too difficult to do especially if you used something like ABS plastic.

Associate
Really interesting build, looking forward to seeing it come together. That before setup really was cramming a lot in a small space. It's no wonder the fans had to work hard.

I'm gonna have to go back and have a read through the previous build log as well. Looks really well done in the background there.

Soldato
OP
Really interesting build, looking forward to seeing it come together. That before setup really was cramming a lot in a small space. It's no wonder the fans had to work hard.

I'm gonna have to go back and have a read through the previous build log as well. Looks really well done in the background there.

I've just had a look at my other project and see that all the images are missing, doh! Give me a little time and I'll restore them.

Associate
I've just had a look at my other project and see that all the images are missing, doh! Give me a little time and I'll restore them.
Very kind of you, didn't mean to cause you more work! Gives me something to browse while eating my lunch though :)

Edit: OK I've read through most of the previous project log and it sounds* like you went above and beyond on the mods there, even more keen to see how this turns out now!

*I say sounds as the images aren't loading for me beyond the first page but please don't feel the need to go back and fix them just for me!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Haha this legit looks like a welder! I lioke I lioke :D Once the screens displaying the knobs/gauges it really will look 1:1 like one haha, amazing!
More so with a handle installed :D.

embed

embed

The handle is a metal kitchen drawer/cabinet handle from B&Q and fits in perfectly, however the weight of the PC is just too much for the plastic lugs of the case top, I think they'd give way at some point. I won't be fitting the handle in the final build.

Soldato
OP
Not much progress has been done lately <insert life excuse here> but a little few bits that may be of interest.

Since I'd decided on clear hard tubing instead of copper tubing that I've used on past builds, I had to learn the ropes. It's much tricker than I thought it would be and in some respects working with copper is a bit easier - no need to heat it up and judge the right time to bend, doesn't mark as bad as plastic and relaxes differently after bending. After a bit of practicing I worked out the best heat gun temperature (320C), when to decide the tubing is pliable enough and to chuck those bending gauges away and just bend by hand with the silicone insert. I'm getting there....

I made many quick and dirty plans in Sketchup to determine the best routing for the tubing.

embed

Originally I wanted both QDCs to be on the same vertical plane such as the image below but in reality it wasn't ideal.

embed

embed

Later I found the best way would be to have the CPU block rotated 90 degrees and have the inlet and outlet QDCs on either side.

embed

embed

Reality looks so much different :D.

embed

embed

I think the tube routing I've finalised on is the most ideal and now I'm just perfecting the tubing to get the best finish. The piece with five bends is tricky!

Soldato
No thought about moving the gpu out 1 slot and running the tubes round the back with double 90's?

Would look a lot cleaner too.

Great job so far, looks a beaut!

Soldato
OP
No thought about moving the gpu out 1 slot and running the tubes round the back with double 90's?

Would look a lot cleaner too.

Great job so far, looks a beaut!

I hadn't looked at moving the GPU, not sure if the riser would have enough length. I've come to a final solution anyway, just about to post it.

Soldato
OP
So Christmas has been and gone, as had any hope of having this completed by the time Santa had eaten all the mince pies. Life got busy over that period and I ran in to an issue that caused me to delay progress.

That delay was caused by the tubing going from the output of the CPU block to the input of the GPU block, I just wasn't happy with it. That single bit of tubing had 5 bends in it - 90*, 135*, 90*, 100* then an in-turned 90*. It was a pain to make and once I'd got it dialled in it was a pain to fit without putting a lot of stress on the acrylic.

embed

The more I looked at it the less I liked it.

I decided to scrap this approach and try something different which meant ordering some new fittings from OCUK and with it being just a few days after Christmas I didn't get the parts until after the New Year.

While waiting for the parts to arrive I decided to have a play with making the tubing out of some 10mm chromed copper tubing and numerous fittings I had left over from a previous build. Who knows, I might actually like it and keep it that way (spoiler, I don't ;)).

First, the input to the CPU block using a 90* rotary fitting - too close to the IO of the motherboard.

embed

Using a straight fitting - too close to the edge of the case.

embed

Using a 90* rotary fitting with a slight kink on the tubing - works but will need to be centred a bit better on the back of the case.

embed

The 90* rotary fittings for the 4090's Heaterkiller block. These fittings just don't look all that nice do they?

embed

After a lot of bending and cutting of scrap copper tubing I arrived at what would almost be my desired tubing routing.

embed

Not bad, but the fittings are heavier than you'd expect and cause a degree of sagging due to the way the copper tubing is held inside them. See if you can spot my anti-sagging device in the picture below :D.

embed

I didn't have enough chromed tubing for the GPU outlet to make the end so I cheated with some couplings.

embed

It was fun working with copper tubing again. I find you can be quite precise with it and it's not as brittle as acrylic tubing and doesn't need to heated up to 300C just to bend it. I might look in to copper again in the future if I can find better 10mm push fittings. Until then, it's time to make the move to acrylic.

Back
Top Bottom