Greenlizard0 Premier League & FA Cup QF Football Thread ** spoilers ** [16th - 17th March 2024]

Caporegime
Chelsea have nothing else to play for and they easily have the players if needed to take it to City. City have Madrid and League games to worry about.

Chelsea will be preparing for City like a kid sitting their GCSE's in the summer.

Last edited:
Soldato
Calmed down a bit now.
Thar was a strange game. Decent start for United and a deserved lead but a horrible and all too familiar collapse. Second half Liverpool should have been out of sight. I think we saw the shortcomings of Klopp's team in that they kept the chaotic nature of the game when they were clearly on top. The 5 vs 2 break was pivotal and no-one would have grudged them being 3-1 up. It's the sort of moments in the game where 'pool miss a Henderson or Milner to just calm the game down.
Our subs were just weird but for some reason it bamboozled Liverpool and actually gave us some energy. Hard to be too critical of our team today but I thought Garnacho is a constant threat in the way that Rashford should be. He's single handedly leading the line. Him and Dalot have huge engines and both are putting in week in week out. Mainoo continues to develop - he looks a player that any of our rivals would love to have.

Been a long time since we put a performance in like that.

Soldato
There is no jeopardy in it that's why. I can walk into work and meet a Villa fan, Newcastle, Spurs etc but have met two City fans in my whole life. My year 6 teacher and a old work colleague. There is nothing to talk about with other people so when City win anything it is forgotten in an instant.

I know more fans of Championship clubs like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Wednesday etc.

Even my daughter is a United fan and the only City fans in her school are basically kids who parents don't like football.

Maybe City will be relevant in 15 years time but something that is artificial and hasn't been grown organically will be harder to keep up.
My neighbour is a City fan, hes about 65 years old and has been a fan for donkeys years, the other fan I know is my cousin from Stockport. Hes been a fan of City since day 1. Hes in his late 50s. Actually make that 3 City fans, his brother, my other cousin, is City fan too.

Soldato
There is no jeopardy in it that's why. I can walk into work and meet a Villa fan, Newcastle, Spurs etc but have met two City fans in my whole life. My year 6 teacher and a old work colleague. There is nothing to talk about with other people so when City win anything it is forgotten in an instant.

I know more fans of Championship clubs like Leeds, Middlesbrough, Wednesday etc.

Even my daughter is a United fan and the only City fans in her school are basically kids who parents don't like football.

Maybe City will be relevant in 15 years time but something that is artificial and hasn't been grown organically will be harder to keep up.

That’s the weird thing for me. Out of a group of 12 close mates that I’ve been friends with since early high school (outskirts of Bury) the majority are city fans.

Think I’d say
3 United
1 Liverpool
5 City
2 Bury
1 Sunderland/Everton (no one knew why!)

Caporegime
That’s the weird thing for me. Out of a group of 12 close mates that I’ve been friends with since early high school (outskirts of Bury) the majority are city fans.

Think I’d say
3 United
1 Liverpool
5 City
2 Bury
1 Sunderland/Everton (no one knew why!)

Obviously City has a loyal fan base but is limited to the surround regions of greater Manchester. Those two people I knew were from that area. The spread of City fans away from that area was always tiny because of how Utd has been the bigger club for 90 out of 100 years.

Where I spent my youth there was a large contingent of Ipswich and Norwich fans because they were the closest big clubs who at the time were Premier League teams.

Carrow Road was the first ground I went to as part of a school trip so even though to me Norwich City fans are common within my circle to the vast majority they are non existent.

That was the point I was making that old historically big teams you bump into fans all over the country. Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Forest, Ipswich etc. They are all down in the doldrums now but historically have been up there at some point in time whereas Cities history only really began 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Soldato

Yah, basically expanding on my point. Unless you’re from/living in Manchester I can’t see anyone having any sort of banter.

Based on how Gakpo has been for us I doubt Utd even regret not getting him probably glad they avoided it

He’s pretty rubbish but no one notices it due to Liverpool being good and winning games. If he was at Utd he’d look the exact same but would be getting more stick, probably because the wages and fee would be more as well. Then again he may just fall into the shadow there as well because of bigger fish being rubbish there.

Caporegime
Yeah that’s fair. I guess growing up near Manchester there’s always going to be more city fans.
Luckily my mates are all generally respectful so there’s no twisting the knife. Even on days like this!

Yeah for me losing to City doesn't really matter but when we lost to Spurs or Forest in the season it was worse because of my extended family and my closeness to Nottingham.

Soldato
Been a long time since we put a performance in like that.
Aye, not had me on the edge of my seat like that in a long time.
Bruno is still the weak link, all the spite but none of the fight. Feigning an eye poke after being muscled off the ball and giving the defender the chance to clear just shows lack of heart/desire.

Last edited:
Soldato
Aye, not had me on the edge of my seat like that in a long time.
Bruno is still the weak link, all the spite but none of the fight. Feigning an eye poke after being muscled off the ball and giving the defender the chance to clear just shows lack of heart/desire.
He so needs a rest. As I said on the United thread I'd be tempted to cash in on him. Hopefully Mount can get some game time and Bruno can be rested. Mount is also weak on the ball but e has a good engine and can play a pass plus he won't give it away as often. He's not really a great captain in my opinion. Sell him and make Martinez captain. .

Soldato
He so needs a rest. As I said on the United thread I'd be tempted to cash in on him. Hopefully Mount can get some game time and Bruno can be rested. Mount is also weak on the ball but e has a good engine and can play a pass plus he won't give it away as often. He's not really a great captain in my opinion. Sell him and make Martinez captain. .
He’s a luxury style player we aren’t in a position to be able to afford on the pitch in our current state. Bruno’s fine when (rarely) we can dominate a team, especially in midlfield. When we need the spine of the team fighting (most of the time) not feigning eye pokes or whingeing, he’s pretty much worthless apart from the occasional ‘hero’ pass that comes off here and there.
Shame as he has undoubted skill and an engine on him.

Soldato
Catching up with yesterday's match of the day. Who is the woman presenting and why? Another woman who really struggles to speak is offerering insight and its left to Glen Whelan of all people for some actual experience of the men's game. What is going on?!

Soldato
Catching up with yesterday's match of the day. Who is the woman presenting and why? Another woman who really struggles to speak is offerering insight and its left to Glen Whelan of all people for some actual experience of the men's game. What is going on?!

I didn’t think she was that bad as a presenter, didn’t really take any note of it to be honest.

Don’t think it really matters who the presenter is as long as they’re engaging and able to present well. Kate Abdo, Kelly Cates, Sue Barker, Gabby Logan etc to name a few women who are excellent regardless of the sport they’re doing and whether it’s a female/male match/game.

The pundits though, it’s a huge meh for the vast majority of them. Male or female. They’re all pretty useless and can’t all be as funny or box office as Keane. They need to start making it more fun and enjoyable, a bit less serious. Look at the difference between Carra on CBS and Sky, he’s good on both although he some times takes it a bit too far on CBS. I don’t watch CBS but my SM feeds are full of him, Titi and Big Meeks just having a laugh.

Soldato
Based on how Gakpo has been for us I doubt Utd even regret not getting him probably glad they avoided it
I think this and other posts slating Gakpo are so harsh. Did he play well yesterday when he came on? No. Did Liverpool? Not really. We dont win the league cup without him this season and hes still got 13 goals and 5 assists across the comps. That isnt a bad return. At the end of the day he's the 5th choice forward and even then his return is impressive.

Caporegime
He’s a luxury style player we aren’t in a position to be able to afford on the pitch in our current state. Bruno’s fine when (rarely) we can dominate a team, especially in midlfield. When we need the spine of the team fighting (most of the time) not feigning eye pokes or whingeing, he’s pretty much worthless apart from the occasional ‘hero’ pass that comes off here and there.
Shame as he has undoubted skill and an engine on him.

When we get to that point when we can dominate a team then Bruno will come into his own though. I disagree with him being a luxury player though. He is the only world class player we have and he put a shift in yesterday. If he was in Man City he would be getting crazy numbers.

I didn’t think she was that bad as a presenter, didn’t really take any note of it to be honest.

Don’t think it really matters who the presenter is as long as they’re engaging and able to present well. Kate Abdo, Kelly Cates, Sue Barker, Gabby Logan etc to name a few women who are excellent regardless of the sport they’re doing and whether it’s a female/male match/game.

The pundits though, it’s a huge meh for the vast majority of them. Male or female. They’re all pretty useless and can’t all be as funny or box office as Keane. They need to start making it more fun and enjoyable, a bit less serious. Look at the difference between Carra on CBS and Sky, he’s good on both although he some times takes it a bit too far on CBS. I don’t watch CBS but my SM feeds are full of him, Titi and Big Meeks just having a laugh.

Kate Abdo is the best presenter out of all of them really. Gabby Logan/Sue Barker is up there too but yes far too many are tick box employed. Just like far too many are tick box employed because they played for a big team. Although what happened with Robbie Savage is anyone's guess.

Back
Top Bottom