Greenlizard0 Premier League Football Thread ** spoilers ** [2nd - 4th March 2024]

Soldato
Wonderfully brutal and barely disguised dig at Man Utd from the BBC match report.
It seems a long time ago now that Guardiola was having to defend his treatment of a player he was accused of be holding back while contemporary Jadon Sancho was excelling at Borussia Dortmund having decided he would not wait to develop at City.

Soldato
You’re joking right ?
He got the striker he wanted
He got the winger he wanted
He got the midfielder he wanted
He got the goalkeeper he wanted
He got the players he wanted
Whilst it's hard to disagree with this the other side of matters is the management of squad outgoings also. The club has been terrible at moving out players that have been seen as not good enough for many seasons. Its recruitment criteria has also been awful. The jury is out on ten Hag's signings, Martinez is decent albeit perma-injured, Hojlund looks good, Mount is the right type of player but we have Bruno Fernandes in his position. Onana....hmmm. Casemiro is not who he wanted but who the club delivered after de Jong turned us down.

The problem I have with ten Hag is that there is no progress in a style or key characteristics that we can see after nearly two seasons. We haven't closed the gap to any of our rivals and show low resilience in too many games. He has nailed his colours to a chaotic style with Bruno Fernandes as the determinant of style of play because the squad isn't good enough. He's also, at least publicly in denial about how good we are.
Could anyone else get more out of this lot? Possibly.
Will he be at Old Trafford next season - highly unlikely.
Do I want him as manager? Not really but I don't know who offers better outcomes.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wonderfully brutal and barely disguised dig at Man Utd from the BBC match report.

Really? I wouldn't have said that has any reference to United at all. They are both the same age and both came through the City academy at the same time. Foden decided to stay and back himself to one day get into the City first XI and Sancho left for Dortmund. One is likely to have a brilliant career and the other is floundering through his own choices/attitude.

Not sure there was any dig at United in there. Maybe I am being naive.

Associate
I fear that we've too many injuries at this moment in time, I'm saying a city win
Nah, haven't you heard, every ref wants Liverpool to win the league so I'm expecting 16 pens, 4 sending offs for City, Liverpool to start with a 2 goal lead and to play on until Liverpool get a winner in the event the previous hasn't already helped

Soldato
There wasnt anything wrong with Sancho's choice to leave man city for Dortmund, the wrong one was leaving Dortmund to go man utd - thats where he was badly advised.

Man of Honour
Nah, haven't you heard, every ref wants Liverpool to win the league so I'm expecting 16 pens, 4 sending offs for City, Liverpool to start with a 2 goal lead and to play on until Liverpool get a winner in the event the previous hasn't already helped
Yeah but the flip side of that is that every ref loves to get the enormous bank transfer deposit payments from Abu Dhabi, so its going to be a tough choice for them.

Man of Honour
OP
Glad to see Partey finally back on the bench, that's the strongest our subs have looked for a while.

I don’t know what Henry’s talking about half the time as a pundit.
I was just thinking the same watching a clip of him explain our defensive strengths, he has a way of saying absolutely nothing in the most complicated way.

Caporegime
Glad to see Partey finally back on the bench, that's the strongest our subs have looked for a while.

I was just thinking the same watching a clip of him explain our defensive strengths, he has a way of saying absolutely nothing in the most complicated way.
I’m hoping Timber isn’t too far away now. Bloody gutted me that injury, he was class from the first game

Back
Top Bottom