• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 580 Review

Soldato
Seems underwhelming, where it's faster the FPS is either still too low or too high with the other cards to really make a difference anyway.

No point in upgrading for people who already have a card from last year

Caporegime
lol 580 gets a good review now enter the haters, the guy has all the top demanding games benched, AvP, BC2, metro2033, SCS and farcry 2.

# Substantial performance improvement over GTX 480
# Large reduction in power consumption vs. GTX 480
# Quieter than other cards in this performance class

Music to my ears.^

I await your next youtube video with some of those quotations added to it.

And i think you're missing the point, plenty of those benchmarks and resolutions were completly pointless. We're coming into 2011 and he's using 3dmark 03,05 and 06 and a res of 1024x768 for a high end card? What high end card today isn't going to tear through those?

Last edited:
Associate
i'm sure there will be a volt mod out for this sooner or later so we can really push it i'm very tempted but 400 notes seems abit much when we dont even know what 6970 performance will be.

Soldato
^^^^who cares if he benched at 1024x768 look at the resolution you run your games on; jesus....................

^^^^I care thank you very much :p he could have made far better use of his time testing other games or perhaps some 3D vision fps results.

But no he decides instead to bench at a resolution that no respectable gamer has used for at least 7 or 8 years, and 3D benchmarks from back when dinosaurs still ruled the world.

it's just utterly pointless; jesus....................;)

Last edited:
Soldato
580gtx is 33% quicker than 5870 in 1900x1200.....

I dont think 6970 can catch that.

Actually amd should be able to do this given most people keep saying that the 6 series architecture is 35% more efficient than the 5 series. I am not saying they will but it stands to reason that they could but amd over the last 2-3 years has all been about efficiency over speed but for me if they can do it nows the time.

Associate
So 15% faster and 10% less power compared to the 480 which was as expected. Seems decent but we won't know until the release of the 6970. Here's hoping that the 6970 gets released this month

Caporegime
i dont understand gerard the ati cards can run at that res so whats the prob

:confused:

That its pointless? Whos going to go out and buy a 5970 or a 480 or 580 and then play at 1024x768? Its like he just added those to the review to fill it out and make it look more comprehensive. It makes no sense for a reviewer to still be playing about with archaic benchmarks at tiny resolutions for high end cards.

Soldato
OP
Just noticed they are using the Cat 10.7 drivers for the 5970, isn't that the driver that broke crossfire scaling?

Techpowerup really need to get themselves sorted in regards to driver versions.

Back
Top Bottom