• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gtx770 on i5 2500k stuttering laggy

Caporegime
Do me a favour plox,

start up battlefield 3 multiplayer, 64 man server, join.

Once in game press the console key ( ` that one) the one to the left of 1.

Then type

Render.perfoverlayvisible 1

Hit enter.

Now drive out of base a few yards and take a screenshot and show me the graph. Do one with settings at default and this core parking trick you talk about.

Caporegime
Do me a favour plox,

start up battlefield 3 multiplayer, 64 man server, join.

Once in game press the console key ( ` that one) the one to the left of 1.

Then type

Render.perfoverlayvisible 1

Hit enter.

Now drive out of base a few yards and take a screenshot and show me the graph. Do one with settings at default and this core parking trick you talk about.

This is what your lines should look like at default. Pretty much straight lines, maybe some small spiking during intense moments but more or less straight consistently.

ewjPsgg.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
You shouldn't be getting stuttering with an i7. What is all this talk of core parking? I don't remember having to do anything like this when i was on Windows 7 to get smooth performance in Battlefield 3. The game is not demanding at all any more, even at 1440p.

I know I shouldn't be getting it - my i7 920 @ 3.6 did not experience it at all (although the average FPS there was on the whole, lower than my new setup at stock, when using the in-game FPS counter).

This "core-parking" thing is something I have frequently read about with regard to SB, so I was assuming it is the cause. I still need to play enough different maps and scenarios to be sure about stutter - and to be fair, it is very minor stutter, not a lag-fest but more like jitters in certain scenarios where the FPS seems to drop right down (to 44 or so) and stay there for a few seconds.

Caporegime
I know I shouldn't be getting it - my i7 920 @ 3.6 did not experience it at all (although the average FPS there was on the whole, lower than my new setup at stock, when using the in-game FPS counter).

This "core-parking" thing is something I have frequently read about with regard to SB, so I was assuming it is the cause. I still need to play enough different maps and scenarios to be sure about stutter - and to be fair, it is very minor stutter, not a lag-fest but more like jitters in certain scenarios where the FPS seems to drop right down (to 44 or so) and stay there for a few seconds.

If that was the case i would have got something like that on my previous i5 2500k or my current i7 2700k i would've thought. Though when i had my 2500k i only had a single card. I don't think ive ever experienced what you describe though with fps dropping down that low. :confused:

Soldato
Matt,
Just out of interest, does that overlay show us bottlenecks?
Just gave it a go and mine's the opposite, cpu bar is higher than gpu.
Would make sense i assume seeing as my gpu is the limiting factor in my system.

Caporegime
Matt,
Just out of interest, does that overlay show us bottlenecks?
Just gave it a go and mine's the opposite, cpu bar is higher than gpu.
Would make sense i assume seeing as my gpu is the limiting factor in my system.

Exactly. In an ideal world both should be fairly close together. As you can see in mine my gpu is a bit lower. I'd probably need a third 7950 to get my bars closer together. Unfortunately i believe the game is not coded perfectly as sometimes my gpu usage will drop but my bars stay the same amount apart. This would indicate some form of cpu bottleneck. Often seen when you leave base on caspian and firestorm and look across the whole map. Gpu usage will drop. This only happens with two or more gpu's i find. However overall cpu usage does not rise over say 60%-65%. I guess its the games way of saying it would benefit from even more than 8 threads.

Soldato
No mate im on balanced power setting. Never touch any of those things other than to stop my hard drivers turning off after 30 minutes.

Interesting, is it only the hard drive setting you defo change? Dont touch PCI or CPU?
I always used High performance so CPU min/max power state was always 100%.
Going to give Balanced a try for couple days. See if I notice any change from cpu min 5% and max 100%

Lol ok so there's me hacking the registery and all I had to do was the above :rolleyes:

Yer setting the CPU on the power to min/max 100% stops the cpu cores switching off.

Caporegime
Interesting, is it only the hard drive setting you defo change? Dont touch PCI or CPU?
I always used High performance so CPU min/max power state was always 100%.
Going to give Balanced a try for couple days. See if I notice any change from cpu min 5% and max 100%

Yer setting the CPU on the power to min/max 100% stops the cpu cores switching off.

Why would you want to turn off the power saving functions when it does not affect performance. :)

Caporegime
Leave the high performance at 100%, turning any power saving functions in in windows isn't worth it for gaming systems.

This is probably because you using High performance power setting... a lot of people forget this also disables core parking :D

Wrong

Clipboard03.jpg

Soldato
Leave the high performance at 100%, turning any power saving functions in in windows isn't worth it for gaming systems.

Wrong

Clipboard03.jpg

No you wrong lol

That's just reading the Reg setting and that's it.. Because the Reg setting is still enabled the program is saying there parked.

Setting the min/max at 100% stops the cpu from hitting low power state and dropping into core parking.

I never touched the Reg and I never get cores parked.

Caporegime
No you wrong lol

That's just reading the Reg setting and that's it.. Because the Reg setting is still enabled the program is saying there parked.

Setting the min/max at 100% stops the cpu from hitting low power state and dropping into core parking.

I never touched the Reg and I never get cores parked.

Then why would windows have a seperate setting for cores parking in registry if min/max 100% stops the cores parking anyway. So far your post is the very first i've heard of it.

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

Back
Top Bottom