Hard Butter

Soldato
Has anyone else found that butter - even the good stuff is rock hard - It never used to be and sticking it on your toast was easy - Now I have to put a lump on one slice then put next slice on top to try and melt the butter. - I can sharpen the knives on it.

We have tried a few other good brands as well as Lidl and Aldi and all seem to be the same - What have the makers taken out to save money.

We normally have Kerrygold.

Ok, the mrs is French and an expert in butter and cheese spreading (camembert) on toasted baguette dipped in her morning coffee. Being lactose intolerant I gave up on butter/cheese/milk many moons aog.

She simply puts the butter (French President brand) unsalted butter in an air tight container outside of the fridge. Only in extreme summer heat does it go in the fridge. Same with eggs. That's week(s) of time on the counter next to the oven..

If you're eating it on a regular basis or live in a greenhouse then won't have the chance to go off.

Last edited:
Soldato
I made my own butter a few weeks back.
I was in my local Morrisons and grabbed a reduced 2L bottle of whipping cream for £1.
Put it through my my stand mixer in 2 batches.
Added 1/2 tsp salt per batch.
It came out really nice, deep yellow colour and nice and buttery :p
Iirc i got about 700g of butter for £1 :)
Stored half in the fridge in greaseproof paper, the other one in an air tight container at room temp which was easy to spread onto toast or even bread.

Back
Top Bottom