Hard Butter

Soldato
If something in your mind was spreadable it wasn't chilled or it wasn't butter.

Butter out of the fridge needs cutting not stroking. A big wodge for cooking and a cheese slicing impression to get something that will melt acceptably on toast.

Associate
I’ve been using a butter bell for a while, not 100% sure how hygienic they are (change the water every few days) but you don’t keep it in the fridge

Soldato
OP
Wife put a new pack of butter in the butter dish -same as before and this one spreads - Perhaps the kitchen is slightly warmer I don't know but it's great to be able to spread butter on bread and not have bread disintegrate.

Soldato
proof that lurpak is good - >
lurpak (no salt) is Lome, president prme is good too, at 20min out of fridge, and 20C - twice as spreadable as some alternatives.

if you are using a pat of butter a week, you don't leave it all out of the fridge, just decant what you need every couple of days into (Genx thing ?) butter dish

Currently have lurpak + Aldi + farmfoods butter (pats not spreads) on the go -
lurpak is always a lot softer and easier to spread despite cooler spring temperatures, and reserved for bread/toast,
but costs more, had frozen a lot of lurpak when they sold off the 250g's pre-shrinkflation to new normal 200g.

Soldato
proof that lurpak is good - >
lurpak (no salt) is Lome, president prme is good too, at 20min out of fridge, and 20C - twice as spreadable as some alternatives.

if you are using a pat of butter a week, you don't leave it all out of the fridge, just decant what you need every couple of days into (Genx thing ?) butter dish

Currently have lurpak + Aldi + farmfoods butter (pats not spreads) on the go -
lurpak is always a lot softer and easier to spread despite cooler spring temperatures, and reserved for bread/toast,
but costs more, had frozen a lot of lurpak when they sold off the 250g's pre-shrinkflation to new normal 200g.

Honestly, try Grahams if you can get it. I don’t know if it’s just a the placebo effect as I’ve been to their factory but it tastes great and is easier to spread.

I get their gold milk as well. Tastes so good in a brew. It’s roughly the same price as lurpak but it’s usually on offer. It’s I can’t get it i’ll use yeo valley - whose yogurts I get! :cry:

Brand loyal :D

Soldato
I use it as a handy excuse to put more butter on. I'm like "Oh, no! I can't thinly spread this butter in a fashion similar to average marg without risking tearing this bread slice, so I will instead chisel large chunks off and cover the same area, but in large chunks."

Associate
Totally down to the time of year.

We never store the 'in use' butter in the fridge, it's always on the counter.

Sometimes when it's been a roaster of a day in the summer it starts to liquefy which is the opposite kind of Ballache.

Like most others.... shave off pieces but I pop the oven on and let them soften... doesn't take long.

Soldato
OP
I have found that, as it's well into spring the butter has sofened a bit and can spread it on soft brown bread.
I have stopped having white bread toast as all versions of white bread now to me, taste like wet cardboard.

This week when shopping I put a malt loaf in basket as I haven't had one for years (Soreen I think) - it was like cutting a brick in half - so unless it was past it's eat by date they have now become uneatable. I used to love those soft squidgy covered in butter slices of malt loaf.

Soldato
I have found that, as it's well into spring the butter has sofened a bit and can spread it on soft brown bread.
I have stopped having white bread toast as all versions of white bread now to me, taste like wet cardboard.

This week when shopping I put a malt loaf in basket as I haven't had one for years (Soreen I think) - it was like cutting a brick in half - so unless it was past it's eat by date they have now become uneatable. I used to love those soft squidgy covered in butter slices of malt loaf.

Pro tip... Soreen do packs of pre-sliced malt loaf which is much better as you don't end up squishing it when trying to slice it.

Soldato
It's not perfect as the sliced tend to stick together, so you have to prise them apart gently, but it's much less hassle than dealing with a solid loaf.

Soldato
OP
The good thing about two sticking together is you can eat two at once -But only if they are soft and squidgy.

Those I had today were dry and hard.

Soldato
Soreen aren't what they used to be - over sweet processed food, now, best as a memory

Airing cupboard / system boiler tank, are ideal for warming butter - unfortunately currently have a combi.

can't justify paying the lurpak premium over Aldi's best

Back
Top Bottom