• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Has RTX Changed The Way We Game?

Soldato
'Has RTX Changed The Way We Game?'

Yes, introduce RTX and upscaling and skimp on the other just as (if not more) important other aspects of hardware.

For my last GPU purchase, I ditched NV because of the lousy vram allocation and bought AMD instead=smoother gameplay with less artifacts and no texture pop in.

Last edited:
Associate
I've definitely enjoyed it. Having a 4k oled tv makes a big justification and the impact is felt, at least by myself.

It's definitely not been cheap but playing some big budget games where it's done well I can't go back now.

I now don't really look at single player story driven games that don't have it.

Soldato
In many examples I've seen the implementation of it in games are exaggerated to point of unrealistic level.

The wet floor or puddle in real-life DO NOT reflect objects to clarity of a brand new/clean mirror level. It reminds of of the excessive PhysX effects in the Batman games :cry:

Caporegime
In many examples I've seen the implementation of it in games are exaggerated to point of unrealistic level.

The wet floor or puddle in real-life DO NOT reflect objects to clarity of a brand new/clean mirror level. It reminds of of the excessive PhysX effects in the Batman games :cry:
they do if its cold like in winter and if its cleanish water

Last edited:
Associate
Bought my lads 1 year old system from him for £750 and at £50 a month(£150 deposit) and I know it was lightly game on. He bought it from here and built it so all good!

I did ask him if he used RTX in the early days and he was like no why strain the GFX card for no reason.

I haven't used RTX yet but have seen some screenshots over the years. The puddle comment above might be the most valid point, though.

5800X3D CPU 5800X3D - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060Ti Gaming OC V2 LHR 8GB - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz AMD Ryzen Tuned DDR4 - Gigabyte b550 Aorus Elite AX V2 1.1 - WD_BLACK SN850 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe - Corsair Hydro Series iCUE H100i ELITE LCD XT Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - 240mm - iCUE 220T RGB case(Monitor /PSU were a gift from me new.

My Issue that I keep swinging between atm is: Do I pair the 3060ti with current rig 5950x or the 5800X3D.

I really don't think I'd see much difference gaming wise in a notable way.

Associate
It depends on how well the devs have implemented it.

Some of the RT effects in Control can look stunning, but some of them are only noticeable on the FPS counter. Arguably a well modded vanilla Witcher 3 looks better than the RT version.

If it's a choice between disabling RT and dropping to performance DLSS, RT is the first thing to go.

Caporegime
This thread just goes to show how little people know about RT and RTX and have fallen for nvidia marketing and it's no wonder RT gets such a bad rep on here :cry: Nvidia marketing team have done wonders here.

RTX is not just simply ray tracing...... Nvidia have got methods via their RTX umbrella to implement certain RT methods but this is not a nvidia specific thing in terms of end result i.e. gamers using RT, amd can still use RT even if the game devs use nvidias RTX technology to implement RT.

RTX is a variety of features:

- DLSS
- DLDSR (I believe this is RTX now but could be wrong)
- HDR injection for videos and now games
- reflex
- frame generation
- video resolution/upscaling
- rtx voice for background removal in calls/recording etc.
- remix

etc.

It's not going to change the way you game..... but what it can do depending on your needs/wants is improve your game experience in one way or another.

Man of Honour
Been "RTX"ing since my 2070 Super. £470 for ray tracing at 60fps? Yes please..... Sold it for £460 to buy the 3080 Ti, which I then sold for £725 and bought the Zotac 4090 at FE price for only a bit extra cash.

So yes the whole RT experience has been a finely crafted one of wise purchase decisions at the right time :p

Associate
For me, Rtx is a positive package but no where near game changing. I'm getting on now, but I'd rate 3dfx, the jumps between some of the earlier dx's, 3d vision, and more recently vr much higher. Ray tracing is a nice feature and I'm happy about the innovation as it had been a little stagnant for a decade. Dlss and fg are nice but as I have high end gpu, they are only really useful for the ray traced games.

Back
Top Bottom