Custom Worktop Desk

How did you cut the worktop? Have you scribed it to the wall?

Just measured in the corners of the wall along the same height it was going to be sitting and chopped the end off with a hand-saw. Didn't bother scribing it to the wall because they're surprisingly quite a square fit already.

Carpenter visited today. :D

This was what I had before, threw it up when the extension was finished (and our newborn on had just come home from hospital):

ZXthQKs.jpg

It's not the biggest room, managed to convince the Mrs to carve off a corner of the extension for a man cupboard. Space is at a premium, so off the peg desks weren't going to cut it. Needed to maximise it, so this is what I ended up with:

D0mLF9m.jpg

9QIPAEn.jpg

Ran through umpteen samples of varnish and oils, ended up using the one on the right. It's not the closest of matches, but it'll do (because I plan of changing out the floor, as I want carpet. :D) for now.

QuXm8g1.jpg

mwn3BLi.jpg

Love the way the oil brings out the grain.

77ZNq3e.jpg

All in all, well pleased at that lump of Oak. :)

I've drilled cable holes and the mounting for the Ergotron MX, will get another couple of coats on tomorrow and hopefully get everything back in there tomorrow night.

can we see a leg shot too ?

and .... how did the carpenter join the two pieces ?

Are these desk secured to the wall at all? or just resting on those cabinets underneath ?

You usually use biscuits and worktop clamp bolts.

Yep, exactly that. Routered out for the bolts with a jig, standard worktop fitting fare. Desk sits on the Ikea Alex units, screwed in. Then running around the wall I've got 74x30mm spans, which the worktop is secured to with L brackets.

ze9hqvD.jpg

Here's the leg, I will be moving it back to the other side of the second bolt as it's right in the way at the moment. I'm using the desk as a corner desk, so definitely going to need to shift it. Ultimately though I think I'll end up replacing it for a steel bracket or plate if I can get away with it.

nCCcif3.jpg

Yep, exactly that. Routered out for the bolts with a jig, standard worktop fitting fare
OK - I am out of touch - a router, jigs, biscuit attachment is a reasonable investment (but I guess useful elsewhere)
how long does it take to do the cuts and recesses for bolts.?

with the robust battens you have, sounds as though a diagonally placed steel tube, embedded in those, could support the corner. ?

Back
Top Bottom