Help with eating for weight training

Caporegime
Yep, last night a quick trip to Morrisons - a small steak pie, chocolate cake and pint of semi skimmed milk saved my day. And loads easier to eat than heavy going portions of chicken and rice.

Yeah I have lifted in the past, worked my way up to a 120kg squat around 8 years ago, but then hurt my knee. I was pushing really hard to get to this and wasn't eating well at all.

Training session last night Im at 70kg squat (my bodyweight). I don't want to go really hard this time. If I can get back to 100kg squat I'd be happy tbh. And I want to try and improve my upper body strength which is disproportionately poor.
It’s not a diet I would like to have for too long, but once I get to a comfortable weight, maintenance should be a lot easier

Soldato
I wouldn’t waste your time with whole pouches of rice at each sitting.

Sounds like you’ve made a start, get the snacks into you and rather than make yourself bloated before training, have a protein shake before and after.

Last edited:
Associate
It's hard to eat junk and eat a lot too. Even if I had a McDonald's every lunch time and an Indian every evening I'd still not reach 2700 calories very easily.
It's not difficult at all; 20 nuggets, a Big Mac meal, and a double cheeseburger totals around 2500 calories.

I would recommend using the MyFitnessPal app to track your calorie intake for a week or two. This way, you'll gain a more accurate understanding of what you're consuming. Aldi offers protein pancakes that provide 20g of protein and approximately 400 calories on their own. When you add chocolate sauce, honey, and peanut butter, you're looking at a snack totaling around 500-700 calories, which is quite substantial.

There are numerous ways to "bulk up"; you don't necessarily have to stick to plain chicken and rice. However, consuming Kit Kats, Indian food and other junk to pad out your intake won't provide the necessary micronutrients your body requires either. It's important to monitor your sugar intake. Additionally, caffeine acts as an appetite suppressant, and the more you exercise (properly), the more your body will demand fuel to sustain your efforts.

Soldato
@OP. I just flicked through the first page of this near 20 year old thread. First few posts tell you everything you need to know. Stickied for a reason!

Back
Top Bottom