Help with eating for weight training

Soldato
OP
4 lots of Cajun chicken and a rice pouch s a lot though isn't it for one day, it doesn't sound feasible.

I've just been to Sainsbury's and bought 1.6kg of chicken breast (8 pieces), a pack of peppers, a pack of mushrooms, and 2 packs of cook in the bag Cajun spice mix.

That came to £14.50 and will be enough chicken for 8 portions so just under 2 quid a portion plus 50p for a rice pouch so around 2.50 a portion.

But if I eat 4 of those a day that will only last me two days!

Last edited:
Soldato
Get some dairy in as well. Full fat yoghurt is great and porridge with full fat milk also awesome.

It’s hard to eat clean and eat a lot. Up your snack game. Nuts are very calorie dense if you like them and actually decent nutritionally. Kvarg yoghurt from Sainsbury’s seems to be on offer currently. Good protein snack that!

If I’m not going out for meals or takeaway I totally get where you’re coming from in terms of calorie intake. I make up the deficit with ice cream! Don’t sweat having a bit of junk. As long as you’re keeping your protein intake up, you’ll be fine.

Soldato
OP
I don't like nuts at all, not a fan of dairy (cheese, yogurt) but can drink milk. Have never liked porridge because it's so plain and although I know you can add things to it, the effort especially at breakfast has been a problem for me.

Realistically I think 2 portions of the Cajun chicken and rice per day is reasonable. I can't be eating 4 portions of the same thing every day. Its 200g chicken per portion plus the spice mix has some calories in so it's probably 600-650 calories per portion that gets me to 1200-1300.

If I then have a different meal in the evening, curry, spag bol or maybe a pizza, that will be another 800 so I'm at around 2000. A couple of pints milk on top of that gets me to 2500 plus a couple chocolate bars or biscuits gets me to 2700+

It sounds like a hell of a lot of food though, I don't know if I can manage it.

Damn I could do with someone inventing a 500 calorie food cube.

Last edited:
Associate
No i don't like nuts at all, the taste makes me wretch.

Peanut balls are worth a try as they're cheap and easy.

I use honey instead of the syrup, and don't bother with the oats, but they help to bulk them out more. I also don't use the chocolate, I use a mix of seeds and raisins also.

Fig rolls calorie dence and cheap.

Edit.
I've just reread your OP. I dunno, but i kinda feel you might be too pressuring on yourself for a body which you won't have without a serious routine. I'd focus on ditching the fast food first, then the heavy sugar and just exercise to tone up. As mentioned, cooking well and with variety is practise which i'm learning to do also. It's going to take some time.

I will add what nobody else has said is fibre. Fibre, we all don't get enough of it. A better diet will increase your positivity too, frequently undervalued.

Last edited:

pre

pre

Associate
I've just been to Sainsbury's and bought 1.6kg of chicken breast (8 pieces), a pack of peppers, a pack of mushrooms, and 2 packs of cook in the bag Cajun spice mix.

Unless you specifically prefer white meat, you can go for chicken thighs for more flavour/calories. Even then you can then add a spoonful of olive oil to your rice/pasta or marinate for meat just before cooking if you need more calories when not hungry.

Be good not perfect - by all means in your situation you can eat still higher calorie treats or meals. But if you are doing it when you havent met your protein goals for day but aren't reaching for a tuna/salmon salad wrap then it's probably not out of actual hunger.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't like nuts at all, not a fan of dairy (cheese, yogurt) but can drink milk. Have never liked porridge because it's so plain and although I know you can add things to it, the effort especially at breakfast has been a problem for me.

Realistically I think 2 portions of the Cajun chicken and rice per day is reasonable. I can't be eating 4 portions of the same thing every day. Its 200g chicken per portion plus the spice mix has some calories in so it's probably 600-650 calories per portion that gets me to 1200-1300.

If I then have a different meal in the evening, curry, spag bol or maybe a pizza, that will be another 800 so I'm at around 2000. A couple of pints milk on top of that gets me to 2500 plus a couple chocolate bars or biscuits gets me to 2700+

You sound like you are already staring defeat in the face! Like the great Matt Fraser says - Don't be disappointed by the results you didn't get for the work you didn't do. :)

200g of uncooked chicken really isn't very much. As someone says above, swap it for skin on thighs which are more calorie dense and way more tasty.

Use myfitness pal app to monitor your current intake per day. Take that as your base then use all the great advice in this thread to start ramping it up. Even if you aim for only an extra 30 cals per day to start, by the end of the first week that's already a 210 increase. Set a plan. I think habit forming for you is going to be a key as it seems whenever you go off script or left to your own devices you find it easier to just grab a pack of biscuits or worse still, not eat at all.

Don't discount liquid nutrition either. As I mentioned earlier you can get a great tasting high carb workout fuel to have while training, a protein shake post training, a meal replacement type shake in the afternoon and casein shake before bed will give you about 7 - 800 cals without you really noticing. Way better than milk, chocolate bars and biscuits!

Soldato
4 lots of Cajun chicken and a rice pouch s a lot though isn't it for one day, it doesn't sound feasible.

That came to £14.50 and will be enough chicken for 8 portions so just under 2 quid a portion plus 50p for a rice pouch so around 2.50 a portion.

But if I eat 4 of those a day that will only last me two days!

Fussy bulking isn't cheap. Eventually you'll need to buy bulk meat (butcher?) and make your own rice.

There is no simple or easy solution to your problem.

Last edited:
Soldato

Do you really need to eat 2700 calories? How often are you working out?

Soldato

pizza and milk isn't really a great start... Clean, health high calorie food....

Bulking/Eating lots of clean calories isn't a cheap thing.... It costs money to eat clean and lots....

Porridge/Overnight oats in the morning with peanut butter in it is a great calorie dense start to the day - loads of ways to flavour them up... See previous post with recipes. 700/800 calories there for breakfast.

Make the oats the night before - in the fridge - then eat in the morning. Simple no hassle food.

Ultimately you need to create something that is sustainable over a period of time. If it's something your going to do for a few weeks and then get bored... Forget it.

Not everything has to be tasty etc - Sometimes you just need to eat for the sake of eating....

Soldato
OP
Use myfitness pal app to monitor your current intake per day. Take that as your base
I have been using it, my intake is all over the place. Can be sub 1500 calories one day, 2500 the next. It just depends what I can manage to find to eat and how I am feeling mentally, and other pressures on me/my time.

Do you really need to eat 2700 calories? How often are you working out?
Twice per week doing the main strength training lifts of squat, bench, overhead press and deadlift, plus a few chins/dips if time/fatigue allows.

I based 2700 on needing 500 calories a day extra to gain 1lb per week.

I just ate my first cajun chicken and rice portion. Tough going tbh. A 200g chicken breast and a 250g pouch of microwave rice, only about 500-600 calories total but loads more filling than a couple of basic hamburgers from McD. Portion 2 due around 5pm before training at 6pm. I didn't eat any breakfast either, just not hungry when I wake up. Im not naturally much of an eater.

Soldato
I have been using it, my intake is all over the place. Can be sub 1500 calories one day, 2500 the next. It just depends what I can manage to find to eat and how I am feeling mentally, and other pressures on me/my time.

Twice per week doing the main strength training lifts of squat, bench, overhead press and deadlift, plus a few chins/dips if time/fatigue allows.

I based 2700 on needing 500 calories a day extra to gain 1lb per week.

I just ate my first cajun chicken and rice portion. Tough going tbh. A 200g chicken breast and a 250g pouch of microwave rice, only about 500-600 calories total but loads more filling than a couple of basic hamburgers from McD. Portion 2 due around 5pm before training at 6pm. I didn't eat any breakfast either, just not hungry when I wake up. Im not naturally much of an eater.

Start off slow.

Train 3 times a week, strength would imply low reps? Increase reps if you want mass/size. Aim for 2000 calories a day. Monitor for a month and then reassess.

Your lunch was way more filling for a reason, it's not full of fat, salt and crap carbs. It's proper food. Protein makes you feel full.

I'm not expert but it doesn't sound like you need 2700 calories at the moment. Your body is telling you as such.

Last edited:
Soldato
Targeting an arbitrary calorie figure and then trying to achieve it through eating crap is not a good idea. I agree with @sigma that if you're finding it a chore to eat then you probably don't need that much food. Bodies are very good at self regulating if you are putting the right things into them. I would start trying to eat decent, homemade meals for breakfast and lunch and work your way up from there. Find something that works for you for breakfast and do simple variations on that.

It also sounds like your diet is lacking in good fats which will not help you when you are trying to up your calorie intake. You might not like nuts but it's very simple to add some olive oil or seeds in to your rice to bulk that up a bit and they're pretty inoffensive. Similarly eating things like chicken thigh rather than breast will up your calories and is way nicer than breast.

And, while not strictly linked to calorie intake, the meals and foods you've referred to basically have zero fibre in them so it wouldn't surprise me if your gut is moving like the North Circular at rush hour.

Soldato
OP
Sorry if this is turning into more of a diary thread now, but just an update - two things.

1. COuldn't finish the 2nd portion of food I made for today. I ate most of the chicken but only 2/3rd the rice. A whole pouch of rice twice a day is going to be too much I think, and for the volume of food that it is, its not calorie dense enough. Im not going to be very hungry tonight after that high volume food today and aren't even at half my RDA calories let alone the amount extra I was aiming for.

2. Its now past 5pm and I only just realised I hadn't had anything to drink all day. Ive been at work, working on something and never even felt thirsty. There must be something wrong with my brain.

Soldato
3 litres of water and 10,000 steps per day Dan lad. Two of the easiest and cheapest things we can do to improve health and they are very easy to monitor regardless of your fitness goals.

Soldato
3 litres of water and 10,000 steps per day Dan lad. Two of the easiest and cheapest things we can do to improve health and they are very easy to monitor regardless of your fitness goals.

agree - keep it simple for now.

Whilst your starting out - nail/think about your lifting techniques, NOT the weights for now. As the weights go up, add in a few 100 calories a day.... trying to jump from an "average" diet to a clean and high calorie one is probably too much at this stage.

Add in some nuts/peanut butter once a day.... But clean up the pizza/sugar intake etc

Soldato
Sorry if this is turning into more of a diary thread now, but just an update - two things.

1. COuldn't finish the 2nd portion of food I made for today. I ate most of the chicken but only 2/3rd the rice. A whole pouch of rice twice a day is going to be too much I think, and for the volume of food that it is, its not calorie dense enough. Im not going to be very hungry tonight after that high volume food today and aren't even at half my RDA calories let alone the amount extra I was aiming for.

2. Its now past 5pm and I only just realised I hadn't had anything to drink all day. Ive been at work, working on something and never even felt thirsty. There must be something wrong with my brain.

Don't be disappointed by the results you didn't get for the work you didn't do.

Soldato
OP
Steak, chicken, eggs, pizza and Ben & Jerry’s

The weight will pile on. It’s working for me.
Yep, last night a quick trip to Morrisons - a small steak pie, chocolate cake and pint of semi skimmed milk saved my day. And loads easier to eat than heavy going portions of chicken and rice.

Whilst your starting out - nail/think about your lifting techniques, NOT the weights for now
Yeah I have lifted in the past, worked my way up to a 120kg squat around 8 years ago, but then hurt my knee. I was pushing really hard to get to this and wasn't eating well at all.

Training session last night Im at 70kg squat (my bodyweight). I don't want to go really hard this time. If I can get back to 100kg squat I'd be happy tbh. And I want to try and improve my upper body strength which is disproportionately poor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom