Help with eating for weight training

Caporegime
IMO, it would be better to try and eat healthily and in natural amounts according to your appetite. Forcing yourself to eat higher calories is not a good thing to be doing.

Focus on healthy attainable eating, get enough sleep, keep fit. If you are still having self-confidence issues, then you need to give yourself a break and think of ways to address that, as it's more a psychological issue.

I was very thin in my 20s, but I can't say it ever bothered me that much. You will naturally fill out as you get older, as I did. Some people are naturally thin, it's not a bad thing, and something you should learn to accept.

Eat more, train more. Confidence issues can 100% be resolved in the gym. This is how you address those psychological issues.

Don't accept anything you don't want to, if you want to improve your body then do it. Don't just stay thin because it's easy.

Was also in the same position when 22/23. I started eating more, went to the gym pretty much everyday, ran a few times a week. Went from fat/skinny to looking above normal. Was great.

Last edited:
Soldato
Flat out calorie intake won't do you any good if you're looking to build muscle and strength. You need protein, and a good nutritional profile to go with will certainly help too.

Soldato
You need to start preparing meals and food.

We’ve heard lots of things that you don’t like. What sort of food do you like?

A picky eater that loves sweets and take away apparently.

Fish seems to work for him, protein powders should work given he's fine with milk. You can do a lot with whey or casein based stuff. If reducing dairy, I mix whey with almond milk and butter. Tons of options, but you need to make some small effort.

Going on an endless dirty bulk of crap will do nothing for you.

Even if lazy you need lean proteins more than calories and you're (op) doing the opposite.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Although not an ideal solution for each mealtime, but you may find making smoothies a good way to disguise some foods that you don't like.

So, for example, you could make a protein or energy shake from berries or fruit of your choosing. Add a raw egg, some healthy fats such as seeds or avocado.
Throw in a serving of spinach and/or carrots, and then blend up with a milk of your choosing. You can always add a little stevia or xylitol if you wish to enhance the sweetness.
Once blended, you won't be able to taste anything that you placed in it, probably aside from the fruit/sweetness.

You can add just about anything to a protein/energy shake, fats, carbs, etc.
I probably would try to include one in between meals or maybe in place of the first meal of the day,
though, I think it's still a good idea to include solid foods that give the body something to work on aside from just liquid calories.

Whatever you eat, make sure it's wholefoods (not processed), or at least as little as possible anyway.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the comments so far. Believe me when I say I know how silly it sounds when I describe my problems with food, it is frustrating for me as well. Unfortunately I have had these issues since childhood.

You need to start preparing meals and food.

We’ve heard lots of things that you don’t like. What sort of food do you like?

There's lots of things I do like which can be made into healthy meals, it's just getting the calories up and the frequency of meals, and the motivation to prep. That's why after a couple of days I fall back on easier food like milk and takeaways. Not exhaustive but sone examples of stuff I like which isn't really restrictive.

Proteins
White fish (battered/breaded cod haddock etc)
Salmon
Roe
Red meat
Chicken
Pork
Eggs

Carbs
Pasta
Rice
Bread (white, naans, pittas, wraps)
Potatoes
Chips

Veg/fruit
Apples
Oranges
Grapes
Broccoli
Carrots
Cauliflower

I like the innocent smoothies that have banana in, just don't like banana on its own. I have tried to make myself like it before and not succeeded. Its a shame because if I could snack on bananas that would be good for me.

I like spicy meals. Whether it's Cajun chicken, Indians, fajitas, spiced chicken etc - like foods with a tomato base rather than a creamy base.

I like steak, beef, stews.

Not a cheese fan really but can eat pizza if not too sloppy. Don't tend to eat many buttery sauces and don't have butter on my sandwiches.

The issue is very much about my motivation for food. Like now for example, I haven't eaten yet, am not really hungry, and there isn't much in the fridge that I can grab without having to cook it. It is very difficult for me to motivate myself to go and prepare something and believe me I know how pathetic that sounds.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is your go to snack? Do you struggle with lack of variety of food, or are you happy to eat the same things over and over?

You like spicy food. You’re talking my language!

Our goals are somewhat different, but I meal prep my lunches and have a microwave at work. I’m not sure what your work setup is like, but I do roasted chicken breast, rice and broccoli. Boring until I add a banging hot sauce and then it goes down a treat. Luckily I sit in an office with a load of people who love chilli and tend to experiment with different sauces. This also works well with cod (and is better calorie wise), but I don’t do that regularly as I quite like my coworkers :cry:

If you can’t use a microwave at work, then chicken in a spicy marinade in a wrap with raw spinach (and mayo if you really want calories!) is a very good way to get protein in.

Pack a boiled egg or two in your lunchbox as well!

Curry is super calorie dense if you are eating naan and rice. The tandoori meats are what I’d be packing in when bulking.

Getting your diet sorted is really hard and it’s taken me decades to realise my mistakes. I’m not close to being perfect, but I am lucky that I enjoy food and cooking. Without a degree of motivation to prepare your own meals it’ll either be too hard, or too expensive to get things right.

Last edited:
Soldato
With the list above you can easily make a lot of very healthy meals, and reach you goals. I was expecting a smaller list of stuff you like! It's just getting the motivation really. How much do you want it.
Could you rope your partner into helping you to prepare stuff, make it a fun thing to do spending time together and coming up with different meals?
I've no idea how good things like hello fresh would be calorie wise, and obviously there's an expense involved (60% off on the first order though, so potentially an option)
:)

Soldato

This is currently £28 on subscribe and save for a 2.5kg tub, I actually buy it for breakfast purposes as I often feel sick if I eat solids first thing. It recommends mixing with water, but I use almond or skimmed milk personally as it tastes better and you get certain added nutrients.

It's not bad flavour wise, the "two scoops" bit isn't entirely accurate as my last batch only required one for the 50g serving so be wary of that.

I know people swear by the likes of Huel or more "popular" meal replacement options, but tbh I find them no better overall while being significantly more expensive.

You can actually do a lot more with the powder than just mixing drinks, you can bake or add it to oats, any number of things really.

Last edited:
Associate
With the list above you can easily make a lot of very healthy meals, and reach you goals. I was expecting a smaller list of stuff you like! It's just getting the motivation really. How much do you want it.
Could you rope your partner into helping you to prepare stuff, make it a fun thing to do spending time together and coming up with different meals?
I've no idea how good things like hello fresh would be calorie wise, and obviously there's an expense involved (60% off on the first order though, so potentially an option)
:)
Anywhere between 600 and 1100 calories depending on what you pick, plenty of options that involve spicy food, rice and chicken.

I was very lazy almost a year ago but starting Hello Fresh (and swapping with Gousto to consistently get a discount) really helped get me back into the routine of cooking - I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who struggles with cooking.

One other thing I'd suggest is using an air fryer, no faffing about with preheating and you don't have to worry about letting the hot air out with how many times you check on your food.

Soldato
The issue is very much about my motivation for food. Like now for example, I haven't eaten yet, am not really hungry, and there isn't much in the fridge that I can grab without having to cook it. It is very difficult for me to motivate myself to go and prepare something and believe me I know how pathetic that sounds.
I think you've nailed it there. A coach used to say to me how you do one thing is how you do everything. Do you approach your training with the same lack of motivation? If you can motivate yourself to train well then you can motivate yourself to fuel well.
There's loads of ways you can make yourself healthy and nutritious food from the list provided. From your earlier posts I thought the list would be much smaller!
Personally my mrs and I, after gym on a saturday morning, get to the task of prepping all of our meals for the week and we eat different stuff.
I make 15 meals. Takes about 90 minutes. Breakfast, lunch 1 and lunch 2 (I eat one at 10am and one at 2pm) and put them in containers in the fridge then they are ready to go each morning for me to pack, ping and ding in the micro for 2 minutes.
Evening meal is always lean protein (chicken, kangaroo, fatless pork steaks and an eye fillet on a Wednesday as a treat) with salad and mashed sweet potato and pumpkin (300g which she also makes and puts in containers at the weekend). Lots of options these days for sugar free dressings and sauces to accompany.
This way you always have something to eat, know exactly the macro content of it and also saves a load of money, prep time and thinking time. I do however eat the same thing every day, which I don't mind. Through trial and error I have my intake perfectly balanced and the food is super tasty. I haven't changed it up since about october I think.

Soldato
OP
. I do however eat the same thing every day, which I don't mind.

I wouldn't mind this either. I could eat something like chicken fajitas or Cajun spiced chicken every day no probs.

When I have tried batch cooking in the past with things like rice and pasta it has been very bland and after a few mouthfuls I'm bored of it. Also it's hard to get the right portion sizes - I tend to go too big then can't finish it.

Could you help guide me to an example batch cooking process with say Cajun chicken or fajitas? How much should I make and aim for on the portion sizes?

Soldato
Peanut Butter/Nuts etc as snacks - easy calories and good fats. Get the natural peanut butter - not the added sugar stuff.

Overnight oats are easy breakfast - make the night before in like 2 minutes - leave in frigde and eat in the morning. Calories can be adjusted with more oats/protein power/peanut butter etc.

Eating for gym/performance can be a chore at times. I was up around 4k calories a day a few years back when I was lifting / squating 2/3 times a week - it was hard work eating that much.

Without the right "fuel" (food) - you can't won't be able to train to the level you are hoping.....

Prep/Prep/Prep.... Number 1 thing if you want performance at the gym.

You can't out train a bad diet....

Soldato
If you train hard 3 to 4 times a week your hunger levels will increase massively.

I reckon that's your starting point/trigger for change

Then eat lots of chicken, veg and rice.

I previously mentioned Huel as an easy meal option, worth exploring, healthier than most takeaways.

Last edited:
Soldato
I wouldn't mind this either. I could eat something like chicken fajitas or Cajun spiced chicken every day no probs.

When I have tried batch cooking in the past with things like rice and pasta it has been very bland and after a few mouthfuls I'm bored of it. Also it's hard to get the right portion sizes - I tend to go too big then can't finish it.

Could you help guide me to an example batch cooking process with say Cajun chicken or fajitas? How much should I make and aim for on the portion sizes?
Loads of helpful posts on here. Three helpful posts immediately above this also.

You can probably pay for some professional advice and a trainer that will set up a meal plan and training plan for you however if you want to do it yourself, you need to first know what your calorie intake aim is. You can estimate your energy expenditure here https://www.verywellfit.com/how-many-calories-do-i-burn-every-day-3495464

To gain weight you'll need to increase that by 350 - 500 cals. Then break that down into macros - protein, carbohydrates and fat. Start at 2.2g of protein per KG of bodyweight, 3g of carbs per kg of BW and 0.5g fat although in your case you may want to increase this.
Use my fitness pal and other sites like it to come up with what you need to hit your goals, takes some trial and error and everyone is different but with some perseverance and a simple self calculating excel spreadsheet you'll get there. As above though, get some scales and some containers.

I think the key for you is to eat smaller but often and supplement it with drinks. Either protein shakes or those meal replacement shakes. I presume this is what Huel is. Two scoops is about 250 cals. Aim to have something every two hours. I posted what I do below but I'm dropping 0.5kg per week currently at 2,200 cals so don't copy me :D

Do you train morning or evenings? I think morning would be best for you as it will make you hungrier through the day.

For me I get up, have a coffee head to the gym.
I drink "Sports fuel 101" as I train - its awesome for energy. Its an Australian site but there is bound to be alternatives in UK. There's 140 cals before you've even noticed. Amazing for endurance sports too.
https://www.bulknutrients.com.au/products/sportsfuel-101
Add a protein shake after. WPI best imo.

Breakfast is my take on a sausage egg mcmuffin - I have one but you can have two. 500g pork mince (makes 5 patties) chuck in a bowl, crack an egg in it, chuck in a load of salt and pepper and some spices. Mexican chilli powder works really well. Mix, make into 5 patties, fry in a pan with no oil. Place on a muffin. Use silicon egg rings to fry up 5 eggs, stick on top of the patty with a slice of cheese and a squirt of 50% reduced sugar tommy sauce. 536 cals. Microwave 40 seconds then put in a sandwich press.

10am - lemon chicken and rice. Skin off chicken thighs (you could use skin on to increase fats) put in a bowl, grate the zest of two lemons on it then juice them over the top, chop up a couple of cloves of garlic fine and add. Lid on and give it a shake. Heat up a pan or one of them french casserole dishes with some oil, brown the chicken for couple of minutes then remove. Add a chopped onion to brown, chicken back in, half litre carton of chicken stock, oregano, cup of rice (you could go extra). Oven at 160 for 40 minutes. Divide equally into containers. I have mine with one of them small packs of birds eye steamfresh veggies - corn, peas and broccoli. 2 mins in the microwave. 490 cals

12 - fruit - im into watermelon at the moment as its super low cal. Apple for you or two if can.

2pm - Chicken and chips. kilo of potatoes chopped into chips. Lay em on a baking tray, salt, pepper, paprika, spray of olive oil. Put em in the oven with the lemon chicken. Will take just over an hour. Chop up an onion and couple of peppers, fry them in a pan with no oil until onion is brown. Add to containers. Chicken breasts, chopped into a bowl. Soy sauce, squid sauce and Worcester sauce in. Loads of salt, pepper and paprika. Stir. Add cornflour stir more. Fry on a hot oil less pan. Add to same containers. Add the chips too when they are done. I use low carb and low calorie potatoes so only 390 cals there. Use normal potatoes to raise that or you could use batch prepper pasta.

Dinner - Cook up some potatoes while doing the above. Mash em and separate them into containers. Microwave them in the evening while you steam some veg and dry fry any of the proteins of your choice.

Pre bed - Casein shake. https://www.bulknutrients.com.au/products/micellar-casein-protein
One scoop, big dollop of peanut butter, banana, almond milk, blender. The less milk the thicker it becomes like a pudding and you can eat it with a spoon. Likely 350 cals. Love it but no room for it these days. :(

But to add to other peoples thoughts - do you have a slow cooker? Loads of options there. Make a chilli, or casserole or stew type thing. Container it up, boil up a load of rice or pasta and divide it up. Remember to track and weigh all the ingredients though - its important to know what you are taking in. Keep your portions relatively small so you don't get sick of it part way through. For me eating little and often never has me full. I like being just a bit hungry all of the time - keeps me sharp :)

Soldato
I think to start off with you need to avoid perfection. To go from takeaways and chocolates to clean eating is going to be a gradual thing.

Packet/ready made rice/cous cous/whatever, with flavoured chicken and maybe even packet/pre cut veg, is probably an easy step to take. Then work out the rest from there.

You can experiment with many different chicken flavours, piri piri, BBQ, Korean, Indian, Chinese, Jamaican etc etc. Alternate between chicken, salmon and steak.

Yoghurt for breakfast is an easy one.

This thread has actually made me make some tweak to my diet so thanks OP.

Last edited:

pre

pre

Associate
I think to start off with you need to avoid perfection. To go from takeaways and chocolates to clean eating is going to be a gradual thing.
Yep - perfection is the enemy of progress. Consistency is the starting goal long enough to build good habits in any long term endeavour.

@danlightbulb Pre-packaged food is a good half-way house between prep and convenience. It'll be a more expensive than full meal prep but having your cupboard have something like a quick tasty carb source to go with a reheated protein and just some frozen but filling veg will avoid you leaning for the takeaway when you CBA or are too tired from a bad day.

Soldato
OP
will avoid you leaning for the takeaway when you CBA or are too tired from a bad day.
I used to lean to the takeaway very easily when I was single. Now I often go without completely, because takeaways aren't as easy an option any more with the missus around. She eats very healthily but the quantity of calories the food we eat together contains is insufficient for me, and Im not a fan of the kinds of foods she eats really. Im not in a good place nutrition wise.

I think I will start by trying to bulk cook some chicken breasts in some sort of spice mix and buying some microwave rice pouches.

From previous experience/attempts though, I will still struggle to reach my calorie goal without introducing junk. A chicken breast and rice pouch is only say 500 calories. 3 of those a day still only 1500. In the past that's why ive ended up eating a pack of biscuits at the end of the day when Im still 1000 calories short.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used to lean to the takeaway very easily when I was single. Now I often go without completely, because takeaways aren't as easy an option any more with the missus around. She eats very healthily but the quantity of calories the food we eat together contains is insufficient for me, and Im not a fan of the kinds of foods she eats really. Im not in a good place nutrition wise.

I think I will start by trying to bulk cook some chicken breasts in some sort of spice mix and buying some microwave rice pouches.

From previous experience/attempts though, I will still struggle to reach my calorie goal without introducing junk. A chicken breast and rice pouch is only say 500 calories. 3 of those a day still only 1500. In the past that's why ive ended up eating a pack of biscuits at the end of the day when Im still 1000 calories short.
Eat 4 of those meals a day plus a 400cal Huel drink takes you to 2400, that's if you even need 2400.

Edit - just re-read the OP, you need approximately 2700 a day? 4 meals plus 1.5 Huel should do it. Do that for a month and see what happens :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom