How fast can you run 2.4km (1.5 miles)?

Soldato
That's a very sweeping statement you're making there.

I am a much faster runner out in the real world than I am stuck on a treadmill. I don't know what it is about running on real terrain, it tires me out less. It might be something to do with air movement.

Not a sweeping statement at all. You are the only person I know of that states they find running on a treadmill harder than outside. Even extrapolating that out would indicate 95% of people find treadmill running far easier than outside running.

If you think 95% is sweeping then fair enough. I , on the other hand, don't think it is.

May I ask your 5K time outside V treadmill and also what kind of terrain it is outside (flat, uphill, downhill etc)?

Soldato
You should really be pushing for 23 minute 3 milers if you can do 10m30s 1.5 milers. I know the extra distance means you will be at a slower pace than your 1.5 miler, but an extra minute should do you. You'll likely be hanging out though :p

Yeah I'd probably be like that if I even tried 1.5 at a good pace now to be fair. I haven't run in ages!

I've been cycling ~6 miles a day for the past 6 months on a mountain bike, and will soon be moving onto a road bike. Looking forward to the change in pace.

Soldato
Alright just got back from my run outside, this time armed with a watch to time it. 1.5 miles in 8.46

Fairly decent mud paths with a few hills, and a slow wind against me.

Quite happy with that :)

Man of Honour
Alright just got back from my run outside, this time armed with a watch to time it. 1.5 miles in 8.46

Fairly decent mud paths with a few hills, and a slow wind against me.

Quite happy with that :)

The 1.5k in 6m45s you did the other day must have been a complete walk in the park if you can manage 1.5 miles at that speed with hills.

Soldato
The 1.5k in 6m45s you did the other day must have been a complete walk in the park if you can manage 1.5 miles at that speed with hills.

Well it was my first time on a tred since school, never really used them much and I'm not used to them. So it was a bit of a mess about with the speed settings at first. It was quite easy though I suppose yes.

I was far more tired after todays run than I was after the tred run put it that way.

edit: and when I say hills I don't mean anything major, just a few ups and downs.

Last edited:
Soldato
i just did 13min 40 for 1.6 miles.

fastest ive done it.

quick question rather than starting another thread.

ive started running again to lose weight/get fitter.

at the moment im just running 1.6 miles a day and getting faster each day.

for best results is it better to stick to the same distance and go for speed or increase the distance and run at a slower pace?

thanks.

Soldato
I hear that short fast runs are more beneficial than slow long ones when it comes to building up your fitness levels. I don't know if it also applies when losing weight though, I'm sure someone else will confirm.

Man of Honour
I hear that short fast runs are more beneficial than slow long ones when it comes to building up your fitness levels. I don't know if it also applies when losing weight though, I'm sure someone else will confirm.

Depends how you define fitness and how you define losing weight.

Soldato
Bumpage.

Ran back in Feb a 5mile series, put in a 34min 55s PB, but also a 5km PB of 21min 11s.

Which gave me my quickest 2.4km of 10min 03s!

Looking to beat that again at the end of the month.

Soldato
im actually bizarrely tempted to try this, id hope to hell i was sub 10 minutes maybe sub 9, but ive not ran more than a few hundred metres in a single hit for years and years so might be a bit shocked. Will have to map a route near me and give it a go a day ive not got a game

Soldato
2 miles (13:02)
1 mile (6:02)
1k (3:35)
1/2 mile (2:44)

All the times are on roads and are snippets of longer runs; never set out to run 1.5 miles so don't know what I could do that in if I pushed, sub 9 would be probably be realistic. Roll on calm days with no headwind.

Soldato
Hmm I did a half marathon some weekends ago, I wasn't brilliant because I didn't spend enough time training on hills. However, my best time for 1.5 miles was 7 minutes and 30 seconds. Not the fastest time here but still fairly good :)

Back
Top Bottom