How is this for a WC setup?

Associate
OP
I'll have a fiddle. The top rad is on a slide out tray. Access above that is impossible with the tray in place and I'd need some much longer top rad hoses to allow wiggle room. I'll have a play and see what I an come up with.

Rad clearance.

Associate
You want all the rad fans to be intakes,as it stands your pulling the warm air displaced from the front rad through the top rad,this is extremely inefficient and will have a noticeable impact on your loop performance

I disagree.

Drawing air into your case through the radiators will significantly raise the overall system temperature. That single fan at the back will have to run at warp speed to remove all the hot air.

If you can provide sufficient fresh air intake into the case, exhausting air through the rads may be more beneficial for your system.

You should experiment and see what works best. I suggest trying front rad fans and single rear fan as intake and top rad fans as exhaust.

Associate
I disagree.

Drawing air into your case through the radiators will significantly raise the overall system temperature. That single fan at the back will have to run at warp speed to remove all the hot air.

Not as much as you would think.Not only are you dissipating the heat more efficiently,but pushing a higher volume of cool air through the case at the same time.

I Have played about with fan configs with a similar set up to the OP,All rads as intakes with a single exhaust yields the best water temperatures and best case ambient temps and in turn leas noise!

Right now its,21c in this room,water temp is 23.5c and case ambient is 27c,5 rad intakes and one exhaust all at 650rpm.Under gaming load fans will hit around 1000rpm case ambient will still be within 4-6c of water temp :)

Edit:Is that UV green or UV lazer green in the pics posted above?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That's frustrating. I've no idea why I'm seeing such drastically different temps.

I'm going to change the exhaust to inlet, change the top fans for something with balls and re-mount all the blocks with artic paste. If that doesn't do it I'll just not look at the temps anymore!

Associate
OP
I fitted some f3 vardars to the top rad pushing air through the rad and out the top.tgey definitely changed things as it took a lot longer for the cup to heat up but temps are still high.

I disabled sli next to see temps on a single gpu but guess what,still hitting the 60's...

Associate
Is an of your kit overclocked? In my opinion you should be aiming to have a minimum of 120x120mm rad space for every 150watts plus 120x120mm as buffer. This is a minimum requirement.

A 1080 stock has a TDP of 165w. You have two so that's 330w. An i7 6700k has a TDP of 91w. Combined total in 421w. You easily have enough rad space.

Try:

1) moving fans on top rad to push air rather than pull.
2) changing pump speed
3) increasing fan speed.

Associate
OP
Well, running all three oc'd or at stock speeds makes no difference. Fan speed, makes no difference. Pump speed is roughly 3100rpm and as far as I know is not adjustable. I ran the rear fan as an inlet but that made no difference. Maybe 1080's are just hot?

Associate
Well, running all three oc'd or at stock speeds makes no difference. Fan speed, makes no difference. Pump speed is roughly 3100rpm and as far as I know is not adjustable. I ran the rear fan as an inlet but that made no difference. Maybe 1080's are just hot?

You have a lot more rad space than me but you also have a more powerful CPU and a second 1080. Try different fan configurations and see what happens.

Associate
OP
Well, the vardars are considerably more powerful than the Akasas in there previously and pushing air. I can actually feel air exhausting from the top panel vents now. The remaining fans are the original Phanteks 140mm static pressure jobbies. They seem OK.

I've just swap the gpu water feed to parallel instead of in series and I'm currently bleeding it again. I may get some 140 vardars in place of the Phanteks fans. I may even squeeze a thicker 280 front rad too.

Associate
Well, the vardars are considerably more powerful than the Akasas in there previously and pushing air. I can actually feel air exhausting from the top panel vents now. The remaining fans are the original Phanteks 140mm static pressure jobbies. They seem OK.

I've just swap the gpu water feed to parallel instead of in series and I'm currently bleeding it again. I may get some 140 vardars in place of the Phanteks fans. I may even squeeze a thicker 280 front rad too.

Thicker rads benefit from push pull. If you only have space for push you might not see a performance increase.

Check out the Radiator Round Up 2015 on xtremerigs website.

Associate
OP
I have been. The hw labs gtx/sr2 280 rads work well with push only. I can't find a gtx280 anywhere though. It's 45mm thick and would just about fit.

Back
Top Bottom