How is this for a WC setup?

Associate
OP
Sorted! I've remounted all 3 blocks using some Arctic thermal paste, changed some tube routing and used some blue berry pastel coolant. Now the gpus top out at 51c max and the cpu hovers around 50c.

Associate
OP
I may have been hasty in judging things to be sorted. I'm still seeing high 50's on a regular basis now. The gpu back plates, pump housing and reservoir are all becoming very hot to the touch. The top panel which gets hit with the exhausted air from the 360 rad gets very hot so I'm happy the rads are receiving the full heat from the blocks.

I'm awaiting some f3 Vardars for the 280 rad which acts as an inlet and another for the exhaust (or inlet if that functions better) as the phanteks fans they'll replace don't seem to move much air.

Leaving the side panel off makes a noticeable difference to tempts to I'm guessing airflow through the case is not the best.

I was thinking of changing the coolant flow as the pump does add heat to the coolant which then goes to the gpu blocks. I was thinking of putting the pump between the cpu and 280 rad as the 280 rad has some cooling capacity in reserve as its never seemed to be particularly hot and cooling the coolant from the pump might improve things. Maybe.

Associate
A pump will generate very little waste heat in the big scheme of things.

You mention one rad gets very hot but not the second, is it airflow related or maybe a bad rad ?

Its really hard to see what your issue is here, I personally thing your temps don't seem "Too" bad considering one rad is dumping its heat into the case yes ?

Associate
OP
I can't help but feel it has more to give and compared to many setups similar to mine my temps are definitely higher hence seeking to trouble shoot and optimise the arrangement I have.

The front, post cpu rad doesn't seem to get particularly hot. Flow is fine, the garden hose helped confirm this. It comes out with as much force as it goes in.

The reason for changing the 140 rads as I can barely feel any air being moved by them especially when compared to the excellent Vardars. They have an annoying noise too, not pleasant.

Associate
OP
Final update, I have fitted a Hardware Labs Nemesis GTX 280 at the front (following some angle grinder action). I've also plumbed the pump between the cpu and the hw labs radiator.

Now playing rss for a few hours results in gpu temps mostly in the 40's, rarely I see a 50. Playing swbf with res scaling up at 150% to really push the gpus I see 54 max. Cpu temp is always in the 50's.

Its a beauty now, quiet yet packs a punch and I'm really happy with it now knowing there's little more I can do to get any further improvement. Nevertheless, I'm now really pleased with it.

Sorted.

Soldato
Final update, I have fitted a Hardware Labs Nemesis GTX 280 at the front (following some angle grinder action).

Theres nothing like a bit of Grinder action to make for a happy weekend.

Pc is looking good, theyre nice little cases, i bet that things got some power too. Scaling does really push the GPUS, when i used to scale 1440p to 2x on my 290x crossfire setup it used to raise the GPU temps by about 10 degrees over normal. Res scaling kept my house warm last winter. :)

Associate
OP
Its a great case for sure. An extra 10mm here or there would have helped though!

I'm moved from console about a year ago and progressed through several setups (starting with the jackfrags budget build) and now I'm at this monster! I've always played games though and using this along with an x34 is a dream come true. Gaming on this is how I always daydreamed it to be, superb!

Last edited:
Associate
Oh I am so glad you got it sorted m8, was really bugging me how it seemed ok but not quite there ok.

So the final conclusion is a dodgy rad?

Associate
OP
I don't think anything was wrong it just wasn't working as well as I had liked. I'm starting to feel that fe 1080's are just hot. The blower cooler seems to keep plenty of other cards cool except for the 1080.

The other radiator was fine, I replaced it with what was the only real worthwhile upgrade option.

Back
Top Bottom