how many cases have you had ?

Man of Honour
built my first PC in 1994 :eek: it's hard to think as i was the resident PC builder and IT for all my friends and family for many years but personal cases probably 20ish, my longest serving one is still housing my racing rig my trusty Corsair 780T which is about 10 years old now i think :cry:

Soldato
Current case is a Corsair 750d airflow.
Before this it was:
CM 690 II
Some Coolermaster case I can't remember the model.
Some Lian-Li case I can't remember the model.
Can't remember anything before that.

Can't see me changing the 750d airflow anytime soon unless I want to downsize. Plenty of space to work in and most importantly, solid side panel. It came with a window but you can replace it with a solid panel. New airflow cases drop the 5.25 bays but are tempered glass and often hinged as well so you can't replace it with a solid panel.

It's really annoying, so many nice cases but no solid side panels. I wouldn't even mind buying the panel separately like I did with my 750d, but the cases are often designed in a way that you can't swap it either :(.

Last edited:
Associate
Only 4 cases.

I had an ITX build for almost 8 years. Wouldn't go with ITX again. Far too restricted and changing parts was a ball ache.

Currently have a 7800X3D/7900XT housed in the Antec Performance 1 FT.

Great case, loads of room, excellent air flow and very easy to swap/replace parts.

Last edited:
Caporegime
A fair few, but by far the WORST was the original Coolermaster cosmos, looked good but it was like a heat trap, my components jumped up about 10-15c vs my previous case due to the virtual non existent airflow in the case even with more fans added. Also had the Cosmos S which was much better due to so much mesh and the big side fan.

Associate
Three in the last 15 years, I tend to just swap components in/out.

Antec 300
Corsair CM 690 II
Corsair 570X RGB

USB-C front panel or a 420 radiator support would be nice, but not enough reason to otherwise upgrade.

Soldato
in over 25 yrs i can say i've only ever owned 2 cases the first one was a https://www.reddit.com/media?url=https://preview.redd.it/4xuyhzu9ri061.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=411fdfcf983a2b127bb8926b8999466d9cb77665 lian-li pc70
which lasted 10-11yrs started falling apart as i added to many rads ..
and the second is https://www.ldcooling.com/shop/atx-hptx/173-ld-pc-v8-atx-hptx-red.html which will last me until i die ..lol
I owned a LD case, and it lasted me around 3 years.

I get so bored and swap my case usually every 12-18 months. So for over 20 years of PCs I would say 15 cases.

It goes as far as my CPU/GPU change.
My GPU history is:

8800GT
X1650XT
X1950XT
GTX280
GTX480
GTX690
GTX780
GTX980
GTX980ti SLI
GTX1080
GTX1080ti
GTX1080ti SLI
RTX3080
RTX4090
I would say most of these involved a case swap at the same time.

Associate
I built my first PC in December 2016. In that time I've been daft enough to change cases 8 times. I've had the current case now for nearly 18 months and have no intension (at the moment) of changing it.

Soldato
I built my first PC in December 2016. In that time I've been daft enough to change cases 8 times. I've had the current case now for nearly 18 months and have no intension (at the moment) of changing it.

Same here only a little later. I think you find "the one" and settle down eventually lol.

Associate
I think I've had about 6-7 cases over a 25 year period. My current case is the Lian-Li O11 Dynamic which I've had since 2019 and love - if it starts to fall into disrepair I'll just get another one.

Soldato
Some generic Dell case
Antec Mini P180
Parvum Systems S1.0
Parvum Systems S2.0
Corsair Carbide 500R
NZXT H440
Lian Li O11D
Phanteks Evolv Shift X
Dan A4 H2O
Silverstone Sugo SG13
Xtia XProto L
Xtia XProto Mini
Streacom BC1 Mini

From 2012 to recently

Might have missed a few but from the top of my head.

Soldato
Hadn't spotted this thread originally. My 2500k is still in the OP's Lian-Li case! Well, not his, but an identical one. I used to rotate alternate year upgrades between that and an earlier traditional beige case that went in a skip, finally, last year. Hated getting rid of it, but... all good things come to an end. That case was from the mid-90s!

The only other cases I had were the original "IBM-style" Tiny Computers case from my sx25 start to PC computing, and an experiment with a small factor Shuttle XTC for a friend. It was so noisy he didn't want the system I built for him and had to keep it. As you do. :D

So, er... four in 30 years, but mainly two in 25. But I have contemplated a shiny new Ryzen 5600X system and wondered if modern layouts (I am so out of touch!) would benefit from a new case. Then I give myself a good talking to! They'll pry my 2500k out of my cold, dead hands! Unless the CMOS battery fails again and I'm too senile to remember what to do. Which is an increasingly likely scenario.

Soldato
Not had as many as some here, even though I've been assembling PC's since my first one, a 486x33!

Had a huge beige (only colour you could buy at the time) Chieftech (?), a HAF 932 (still have it, with the remnants of an old build), and a Phanteks P600S (current build), which has been the best case I've ever used, personally and professionally.

Associate
i had a Zalman z11 ( ithink case ) hideous thing that i bought complete from a friend.
quickly bought a phanteks luxe to swap to. was awesome, but a bit big.
sold the case and ended up making my own portable case from a Makita tool box. worked perfect and was really fun to use.
then my cousin gave me his old pc which was an upgrade for me, so i bought a Fractal meshify case, the smallest atx that i could find that supported a 280 rad. love it, really nice and compact. though id love to grab a smaller mobo and go even smaller.

so 3 cases, and 1 diy case.

Back
Top Bottom