How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

Associate
We're on -£8 on the electricity since we joined Flux on 21st July, but its getting eaten up by about £1.50 a day now with this relentless rubbish weather.

Soldato
OP
Had my most expensive day of £2.33 for electric on Monday since joining Flux back in April, however we are still negative for the last week as a whole. Gas usage is now rising as well, but we've still got a very nice reserve built up in credit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Moved over to Go now, unfortunately my internet died on the 5th of October which was the day i went on holiday so not made the most of it as my HA mode changing stopped working as well at the time, but managed to get it working and adjust the charge period now to the 4 hour window. With the wifes car being charged daily (12-13kwh) and the lower generation Flux just wouldn't work as well financially, plus means I can have dinner a bit earlier :D Hopefully the car/charger will be intelligent enabled sooner so I can fully charge the home batteries during the 6 hour period. Damn the slow Givenergy v1 inverter.

Associate
I see Octopus have announced a new "Octoplus" loyalty scheme, noticed it had appeared on the app today and then just came across a news article. A lot of it seems to just be rolling various existing features together, seems to be based around the "Octopoints" that they used for the Saving Sessions last year so will include those, also looks like the referral bonus will switch to points as well, as will the wheel of fortune. You can then convert points to bill credit, or apparently in the future other discounts and things from other providers i.e. cinema tickets and the like.

Most interesting thing is that will apparently also give access to free electricity sessions where they announce free periods and you get a bill credit for all the electricity you use during that period. I assume those will occur at times that the energy price goes negative, so similar to the Agile plunge periods, obviously not quite as good as Agile as you won't get paid for the use but will be available with other tariffs without the uncertainty of Agile pricing. Obviously great news if you have a battery, though could require a bit of faffing about depending on how the free period lines up with existing cheap rates i.e. if the free period is 00:00-00:30 and your cheap period is 02:00-05:00 then you're going to need to do two separate charge periods if you want to fully charge the battery.

Last edited:
Soldato
Most interesting thing is that will apparently also give access to free electricity sessions where they announce free periods and you get a bill credit for all the electricity you use during that period. I assume those will occur at times that the energy price goes negative, so similar to the Agile plunge periods, obviously not quite as good as Agile as you won't get paid for the use but will be available with other tariffs without the uncertainty of Agile pricing and obviously great news if you have a battery, though could require a bit of faffing about depending on how the free period lines up with existing cheap rates i.e. if the free period is 00:00-00:30 and your cheap period is 02:00-05:00 then you're going to need to do two separate charge periods if you want to fully charge the battery.

This was what they were doing in some areas, not sure if it will be Nation-wide yet, I hope so because MKW told me had like 15 power up sessions of free energy since they announced it, and it's not in my area yet.

Associate
The timing hasn't made any sense to me so far.
They apply it to all the enabled postcodes as well, even if there could be some doing well and some not.
I wonder if they're running them more regularly and at more accessible times in order to drum up more interest for now (having them in the middle of the night is fine for battery owners, but not so good for everyone else) and possibly taking a hit on the electricity costs. Like last year with the saving sessions, I'm sure they were running those on more days than the official saving days.

Associate
This is the article:

Seems to suggest the free electricity periods will be a general thing, though doesn't explicitly state it, so guess we'll have to wait and see. Would certainly be a nice little extra bonus over the winter.

Associate
Typical dodgy report I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Many of us would dispute this "Customers will earn between 800 and 1,000 Octopoints per session by taking part"

None of that report gives me a its going to be a general thing vibe tbh.
Its always possible but I am not convinced.
Yes, did read a different article that didn't mention the free sessions, wonder if the story was combining information about the Octopoints scheme with info about the free sessions they are running in some areas.

The points per session may be accurate (though more likely the suggestion of the average being badly reported), depending on how it's organized this year, last year they gave points just for taking part in each session (200 I think), so may be a higher initial payout but a smaller, or capped, bonus for the amount saved. Last year there were people on here apparently completely gaming the system and earning some pretty silly amounts, so could be they're trying to stop that and spread the payments out, though considering 200 points is only worth 25p that does seem to make saving any more than the minimum to qualify not very worthwhile.

Associate
Typical dodgy report I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Many of us would dispute this "Customers will earn between 800 and 1,000 Octopoints per session by taking part"

None of that report gives me a its going to be a general thing vibe tbh.
Its always possible but I am not convinced.
Actually, just looked at the Octoplus section of the website here: https://octopus.energy/octoplus/ (you may need to be logged in) and it does specifically state this:

Free electricity when the grid is greenest​

Yup you heard us right. We will let you know anywhere from a few hours to a day ahead when the Free Electricity Sessions will happen via email, you let us know you’re taking part by clicking the opt in button in the email and use as much energy as you can (safely) during the session, we will then credit this back to your Octopus balance.

Actually, just looked at the Octoplus section of the website here: https://octopus.energy/octoplus/ (you may need to be logged in) and it does specifically state this:

I already get them and have done some for some time. (16 sessions so far!)

Its no indication its going to be any wider than the existing customers who receive it.

Associate
I already get them and have done some for some time. (16 sessions so far!)

Its no indication its going to be any wider than the existing customers who receive it.
It is listed amongst the standard benefits of Octoplus, admittedly, they could never announce sessions for people outside of the current areas but it would seem a bit misleading to publicize it as a benefit of Octoplus if most people never got access to it.

It is listed amongst the standard benefits of Octoplus, admittedly, they could never announce sessions for people outside of the current areas but it would seem a bit misleading to publicize it as a benefit of Octoplus if most people never got access to it.

Actually your right. Earlier on it sounded like powers ups rebranded but this seems to clarify

Yes you can join Octoplus, if there is a 'power ups' session at the same time as a 'Free electricity' session, you'll get the free electricity as standard, you won't be paid for both. You do need to 'opt in' to the free electricity session which you will be able to do via the email invite we send you.

Back
Top Bottom