How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

Soldato
Excuse my stupidity here, but I'm wondering how Home assistant and flux timings are going to deal with the clocks changing tonight? I don't want to miss the cheap window..

Soldato
OP
I've set my scheduled charge to start at 2:01, from what I've just read the off peak period will still be 2am to 5am. Also checked that my Victron system will automatically update when the clocks change.

If you're on a cheap rate that overlaps the clock change, say midnight to 3am, then tonight youd get an extra hour of cheap rate, but when the clocks go forward you'd lose an hour, so evens out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm scratching my head over this one. GivEnergy system with home assistant.

This evening I've noticed that home assistant GivTCP doesn't seem to be able to change inverter mode (eco, timed export etc). I can select it, but it doesn't seem to initiate and when I refresh, the mode remains how it was (the entity history doesn't show any change either)

All that's happened is a couple of power cuts and (consequently) a new ip# given to the inverter which I have updated in the GivTCP integration.

The sensors are all reading ok but I just don't know why I can't change this setting!

Does anyone have any idea??

Edit: restarting HA didn't solve it, but a full system reboot seems to have done it ..

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to move away from flux as i cant export after 4pm now and don't have batteries to force any export.

So i am now on Tracker for electric and Fixed outgoing 15p for export. I will lose around 6p max for export, but gain around 9p/kwh for import as tracker is currently 18p for me in south wales. Also the standard charge is also 5p cheaper per day too.

Will look at going back on flux at around the end of February.

Soldato
OP
We've actually had to pay some money for our October bill :(

We were credited £86 for exported electric, which means net cost of electric is £70, and then there was £39 for gas, I think that's the first bill since we switched to Flux back in April that's actually cost us money.

Soldato
We've actually had to pay some money for our October bill :(

We were credited £86 for exported electric, which means net cost of electric is £70, and then there was £39 for gas, I think that's the first bill since we switched to Flux back in April that's actually cost us money.
Im still in credit for summer export. May not get a bill that i need to contribute too until january. Which will be my first one since february.

Soldato
We're still nearly £700 in credit as well, I've also been paying £50 a month DD, but did 'withdraw' £500 earlier in the year. I'll see how much is left come next April, and probably withdraw the excess then.
I dont pay any DD, only pay for what i use. But as you know im pretty power light compared to most.

Associate
Just had panels installed and everything appears to be working (although I'm kinda struggling with the terrible Sunsynk app)
Spoke to Octopus who recommend Go for the winter months and switch to Flux in the spring.
But they say they can't do it over the phone and I need to use the website.
Problem is their website won't let me switch/sign up for import or export.
I'm currently just on the Flexible Octopus tariff.

Last edited:
Soldato
You can't switch to Go unless your export tariff is changed first, if you're on 15p/export or agile export currently then you will need to ask Octopus to change your export tariff first to the basic SEG one for Octopus Go, then you can do the Go switch online yourself usually.

Associate
Having recently (October) had a 5.9kWh array installed along with an 11.6kWh battery I'm undecided about which tariff to go on. I am currently with Octopus Outgoing on their Flexible Electric and Gas. I have an export MPAN set up and running.

Whilst I'm okay with the inverter settings, like charge and discharge times, I'm not proficient in writing or running any scripts on a pi or the like. Over this winter, I expect our electric usage to be between 15-25kWh per day. We don't have an electric car or charger.

Reading the above posts, I am torn between staying where I am until March or changing to Agile or Flux. I discounted Tracker as looking at the historical tracking prices over the winter period they seem much higher than Flexibile. However, having read that Welshman is moving from Flux to Tracker, it obviously is that straightforward.

Tracker rates for my area.

Flux looks good, but I'm conscious as my battery is installed outside, its charge rate is reduced when the internal battery temp is low to protect the battery. So, during the reduced 3hr Flux rate between 2am and 5am, I may only be able to charge say 6kWh. Even if I hold this back I'm not sure this would be enough to cover the Peak rate period. I must add that this is a best guess, as the temps haven't been that low recently to do a trial run.

Agile, looks better, if I am able to keep a daily track of the prices and adjust our charge times accordingly.

That's where I'm at at the minute, grateful for any advice.

PVOutput

Having recently (October) had a 5.9kWh array installed along with an 11.6kWh battery I'm undecided about which tariff to go on. I am currently with Octopus Outgoing on their Flexible Electric and Gas. I have an export MPAN set up and running.

Whilst I'm okay with the inverter settings, like charge and discharge times, I'm not proficient in writing or running any scripts on a pi or the like. Over this winter, I expect our electric usage to be between 15-25kWh per day. We don't have an electric car or charger.

Reading the above posts, I am torn between staying where I am until March or changing to Agile or Flux. I discounted Tracker as looking at the historical tracking prices over the winter period they seem much higher than Flexibile. However, having read that Welshman is moving from Flux to Tracker, it obviously is that straightforward.

Tracker rates for my area.

Flux looks good, but I'm conscious as my battery is installed outside, its charge rate is reduced when the internal battery temp is low to protect the battery. So, during the reduced 3hr Flux rate between 2am and 5am, I may only be able to charge say 6kWh. Even if I hold this back I'm not sure this would be enough to cover the Peak rate period. I must add that this is a best guess, as the temps haven't been that low recently to do a trial run.

Agile, looks better, if I am able to keep a daily track of the prices and adjust our charge times accordingly.

That's where I'm at at the minute, grateful for any advice.

PVOutput

Can you cover your batteries outside (ie insulate them)
When I added insulation to mine it made a massive difference.
Just some 50mm poly and some offcuts of PIR that I had. In a shiplap covered wooden frame.

Mine do half self heating, but that is switched off right now. But if you create a small insulated box and the internal resistance of the batteries is not enough to heat them, then you can easily add a small tubular heater or heat pad people use for cats/dogs/reptiles.

My batteries dropped to 12C last night even though outside temp was proper nippy. Rose to 23C at the end of charging and had dropped to 15C by mid morning this morning. They are now at 16C since the sun has come out and they are getting about 1kw of charging.

I think they are gaining heat over time and that the sensor is quite volatile in its readings.
Over 100kg of batteries I struggle to see gaining 11C in a couple of hours just from the conversion loss generating some heat internally.

Back
Top Bottom