How to getthe best out of Octopus Flux

Soldato
OP
Has anyone had their updated Flux prices yet?

It seems likely the export rate outside of the 4-7pm period will drop below the 15p rate of the standard outgoing fixed. In summer unless you charge up at 2-5am and export or force discharge lots during the peak period then it seems it wouldn't make as much sense to be on Flux now?
Only had the new gas tariff prices, not electric yet.

Will have to see what rates it brings, surely they adjust out going fixed as well, for new sign ups presuming that's a fixed price.

Associate
WOW.

Get solar and some battery storage!

Neither are in the budget currently, but will definitely be looking into this in future! The problem is I'd need a big system so would be very very expensive. I'm thinking about importing some panels from abroad as they'd be a fraction of the price.

Anyway back to my original question, why be on anything other than tracker if it's ~35% cheaper than everything else?

Soldato
Neither are in the budget currently, but will definitely be looking into this in future! The problem is I'd need a big system so would be very very expensive. I'm thinking about importing some panels from abroad as they'd be a fraction of the price.

Anyway back to my original question, why be on anything other than tracker if it's ~35% cheaper than everything else?
If you're in a house with no solar no batteries then tracker is the one to go for... the only reason against it would be thay it could spike high at any time but currently that looks extremely unlikely.

Associate
If you're in a house with no solar no batteries then tracker is the one to go for... the only reason against it would be thay it could spike high at any time but currently that looks extremely unlikely.
Thanks. I found a handy dashboard on reddit that compares the tracker with cap price on a daily basis so I'll just keep an eye on that and if it does start to spike unusually then I'll change back to the standard flux or flex or whatever it's called.

Associate
Has anybody signed up to flux yet this month, I am wondering if its a fixed erm tariff with an end date like Agile was changed to (not for duration but price fix) Outgoing Fixed for me ends 18/10/2024 and agile ends 15/02/2025 which I am assuming protects me from standing charge increases, I was wondering if flux was now the same.

Associate
Can i confirm that this on page 1 is still the way to go for a "set and forget" setting?

Set charge to 100% from 02:00 - 16:00
Set discharge from 16:00 - 19:00
For some reason my AIO runs 1m long and starts 10-20s after the minute tickover, to be safe with any conflicting schedules id end the charge 2m before you want to start discharging.

Granted not all systems act the same but I like to avoid any potential issues.

Last edited:
Associate
Flux prices from 1st April have come in for me:

Day export rate is now 14.295p down from 16.788p.

Standing charge up from 53.949p to 65.373p.

Our electricity cost up £41 per year in total. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Has anybody signed up to flux yet this month, I am wondering if its a fixed erm tariff with an end date like Agile was changed to (not for duration but price fix) Outgoing Fixed for me ends 18/10/2024 and agile ends 15/02/2025 which I am assuming protects me from standing charge increases, I was wondering if flux was now the same.
People are posting their new flux figures around now, with the increased standing charge adding about £40 over what I currently have on fixed agile until next feb, not looking good. Flux doesnt look competitive to me. Daily export rate is just over 15p and peak export rate just under 26p.

Soldato
Flux prices from 1st April have come in for me:

Day export rate is now 14.295p down from 16.788p.

Standing charge up from 53.949p to 65.373p.

Our electricity cost up £41 per year in total. :rolleyes:
Wow your figures are somewhat worse than the ones I saw for the south east region.

Associate
People are posting their new flux figures around now, with the increased standing charge adding about £40 over what I currently have on fixed agile until next feb, not looking good. Flux doesnt look competitive to me. Daily export rate is just over 15p and peak export rate just under 26p.
I am in a bit of a debate with someone, as far as I am aware all their tariffs have a fixed term now like this
image.png

I was hoping for a visual for someone that signed up to flux after Feb 14th when they started doing fixed terms for pricing, Agile never used to but I swear Flux had the ending dates before when I was on it.

Soldato
I am in a bit of a debate with someone, as far as I am aware all their tariffs have a fixed term now like this
image.png

I was hoping for a visual for someone that signed up to flux after Feb 14th when they started doing fixed terms for pricing, Agile never used to but I swear Flux had the ending dates before when I was on it.
Octopus website says it is flexible, not fixed.

Yes, it is a flexible tariff. This means the unit rate and standing charges can rise and fall with wholesale energy prices.

When the rates of our flexible tariff changes, the price of Flux will also change. We'll always give reasonable notice of any changes to your prices, and there's no exit fees or tie-ins; you're free to switch tariffs or change suppliers at any time.

There's no exit fees or tie-ins, so if Octopus Flux doesn't work for you, you're free to switch tariffs or change suppliers with no penalties at any time.

Soldato
For some reason my AIO runs 1m long and starts 10-20s after the minute tickover, to be safe with any conflicting schedules id end the charge 2m before you want to start discharging.

Granted not all systems act the same but I like to avoid any potential issues.
Thanks.

I've just seen a Timed Export option. It's definitely not that I need? I've set the Timed Discharge to 16:01-19:00

Soldato
Yep, increase in standing charge means £40 increase for me for that alone. I won't benefit from cheaper electricity costs, but will lose out from there being less income per kwh

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'll lose out as well, although cheaper gas prices will save a little bit.

Standing charge: 45.56p goes up to 54.831p, at least that's only a £33.84 rise per year.

Import:

Peak 41.134p down to 35.409p (I never use peak)
Flux 17.629p down to 15.175p
Day rate 29.381 down to 25.292p

Export:

Peak 30.134p goes down to 25.94p
Day rate 18.381p goes down to 15.652p

At least cheap rate import is slightly less than day export rate still.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks.

I've just seen a Timed Export option. It's definitely not that I need? I've set the Timed Discharge to 16:01-19:00
I misunderstood your previous post, I got mixed up with what people do during saving sessions.

If you just want to discharge to your home then you don't want any time discharges set, you want to leave it on the default option and just set a charge time before and after peak periods if you only want to export inside the peak window.

Timed discharge/export is for dumping to the grid, one option will still cover home usage and the other will save all battery power and then dump to the grid.

For example for your use case id just set a charge time of 02:00>16:00 and not alter any specific discharge settings, when your charge window ends it will just discharge to your home.

Any scheduled discharge is usually reserved for things like saving sessions or dumping to grid during peak times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom