• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
I wouldnt XF 1GB card tbh, it wont be a good investment. I would have personally asked them to up for 2GB for a small charge, as 1GB barely cuts it these days.
http://tpucdn.com/reviews/Club_3D/HD_7850_RoyalQueen/images/perf_oc.gif

yeah bro, 1gb sucks 100%, sucks so much that it beats the 2gb version and "barely cuts it" to 7950 perf when overclocked, YEP... better get this card instead: http://www.zotac.com/index.php?prod...&Itemid=100281&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=100281 WAAAAAY faster, 4x faster to be precise.

Last edited:
Associate
Agreed 1gb vram is bad for cfx.
It doesn't matter if you score higher than 7970 in benchmarks, once you put 4x MSAA in games like bf3 or crysis2 , your 1gb will be your limitation.
The maldo HD mod for crysis2 consumed 1930/2048mb on my card.
Bf3 multiplayer with 2x MSAA uses 1.2gb often.

Even the old game GTA-IV need slightly more than 1gb vram to max out the details.

Last edited:
Associate
I have had no problem playing bf3 max everything inc AA with 55+fps on a 1080p monitor. The only time the extra VRAM comes in handy is when you are using resolutions >1920x1080 and I won't need to upgrade my monitor anytime soon

See here for example http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2012/11/05/msi-radeon-hd-7850-1gb-review/1

This review shows that cf 7850 1gb performs better than gtx 680's and 7970 at 1080p with being overclocked http://m.pcgamer.com/2012/11/19/hd-7850-1gb-crossfire-benchmarked-this-generations-best-multi-gpu-buy

Last edited:
Associate
Hello!
I have a problem with my MSI hd7850,when i watch a movie(media player home cinema)and press pause for drink water or something else a few time(minutes)play botom don't work,play,pause.play,pause and nothing hapening.I think there is something in ati drivers.Help me someone?
Scuze me my english

Associate
Hi everyone. I have the MSI Twin Frozr 2GB version of this card and I am trying to overclock it. Since MSI Afterburner wouldn't let me change the voltage, I installed GPU Tweak and now I can OC beyond 1050 and change the voltage. The problem is that I can't get a stable overclock past 1050mhz. Even at 1050 mhz and 1115mv, it still has problems with stability in games.

I am using the latest Beta drivers but I think that the cause of my problem is the PSU. Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500 watts which I have been told on several occasions is not good quality but should be able to handle the 7850.

What do you guys think?

Associate
Remember it's a lottery

Mine is also a bad clocker (won't go above 1050 on the core as bumping the voltage at all makes the thing crash now...) and by the looks of it yours is too!

With that cooler though, I'm sure you can put a another .1V through it

Associate
Just brought the Asus HD 7850 DirectCU II V2 2048MB, can anyone kindly tell me the best settings to use with this card & Asus GPU Tweak or anyone with this card share there settings.

Associate
Hi, thanks for the suggestions. I tried Trixx but it doesn't let me change voltage and when I try 1050 on stock voltage, it BSOD's so it looks like I need to be able to change it. Do you know of any ways to unlock it in Trixx?

Thanks.

Associate
can anyone give me a bit of insight? i've had my card running stable at 1000/5300 on stock voltages for a while now. Recently, i decided to push it a bit further by upping the voltage.. so my first attempt was to raise it to 1050/5500 and up the voltage to 1085 and it failed after about an hour of testing, so went up to 1095 voltage (a big enough jump i figured, considering what most people here have managed with those voltages) and it just still wont stay stable, and crashes after an hour or so on testing again.

Should i just keep upping the voltages until it stays stable? I figured 1095 should be more than enough for such a modest overclock, considering what i've seen other people achieve with that voltage. Would this do any harm?

Associate
Agreed 1gb vram is bad for cfx.
It doesn't matter if you score higher than 7970 in benchmarks, once you put 4x MSAA in games like bf3 or crysis2 , your 1gb will be your limitation.
The maldo HD mod for crysis2 consumed 1930/2048mb on my card.
Bf3 multiplayer with 2x MSAA uses 1.2gb often.

Even the old game GTA-IV need slightly more than 1gb vram to max out the details.
Some people get 2gb vram usage in SINGLEPLAYER BF3, I think vram functions just like the normal ram, the OS/application that uses it will always try to use all MBs of ram that are available to it, I think it would just mean that it reserves a large portion of ram so that will be readily available when the software needs it, but isn't actually used 100%. That's why some people get under 1gb vram usage, and others get 2gb or even more, while probably having comparable fps.

can anyone give me a bit of insight? i've had my card running stable at 1000/5300 on stock voltages for a while now. Recently, i decided to push it a bit further by upping the voltage.. so my first attempt was to raise it to 1050/5500 and up the voltage to 1085 and it failed after about an hour of testing, so went up to 1095 voltage (a big enough jump i figured, considering what most people here have managed with those voltages) and it just still wont stay stable, and crashes after an hour or so on testing again.

Should i just keep upping the voltages until it stays stable? I figured 1095 should be more than enough for such a modest overclock, considering what i've seen other people achieve with that voltage. Would this do any harm?
most people here agree that for a 24/7 OC anything up to 1200mV should be perfectly ok, as long as temps are ok as well

Last edited:
Associate
http://i47.tinypic.com/2airjas.jpg

** Please resize image to no more than 1280px wide before replacing image tags - thanks **

Hi, I have the R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC and these are my results at stock settings. As you can see, they are worse than others running with the same settings and this may also help me find the answer to why my card is so bad at overclocking and keeps BSOD'ing whenever I try to go above 1050 in GPU Tweak.

My PSU is Cooler Master eXtreme Power 500W (which I know is crap)

My motherboard is Asus P8Z68-V LX

I definitely have the card in the PCI 2.0 x16 slot, not the black x4 one.

Would my best bet be to buy a new PSU (Heard this one is great) so I could rule it out? Or is there something wrong with the card?

Thanks.

Associate
most people here agree that for a 24/7 OC anything up to 1200mV should be perfectly ok, as long as temps are ok as well

thanks for the reply! Unfortunately, i dropped the clock back to what use to be my safe full time overclock of 1000/5300 (stock voltages) and to my surprise today it crashed again after running Guild wars 2 for about an hour... it's the fuzzy lines all over the screen kind of crash. This has got my majorly worried that i've somehow knackered my graphics card? surely it cant be true when so many of these are having the nuts overclocked off them and still running fine? Mine is the Sapphire 7850 2Gb by the way.

Back
Top Bottom