HP Microserver+XPEnology

Associate
I've just ordered my HP N54L Microserver to put this on after testing it out on a virtual machine, surprised how much I liked it.

Associate
I swear I'm being thick here, but how do I install on an ESXi host. Have an SSD installed (using modded bios) that will be for all host OS's. I just cant figure out how to install XPEnology

Associate
I swear I'm being thick here, but how do I install on an ESXi host. Have an SSD installed (using modded bios) that will be for all host OS's. I just cant figure out how to install XPEnology

It's very easy to install you can follow this guide.

http://xpenology.com/forum/download/file.php?id=168

Download this image

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1939

If you want it even simpler download this OVF file and just go to file menu on Esxi and deploy template you will up and running in about 5 mins.

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1737

Top post see download link.

Although you will also need this tool to know what IP the Synology install is on.

http://global.download.synology.com...9/Windows/SynologyAssistantSetup-4.3-4359.exe

If you haven't already installed ESXI

Download image for Micro Server here

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/vmware/esxi-image.html

Get licence here if you can navigate their crappy site.
http://www.vmware.com

Last edited:
Associate
I have it all setup now, transfering a test file from my current server to the ESXi box and only getting 11.4MB/s on a 1GB network, I need to check the cables but could anything else be giving poor performance? It is setup to use SMB as W8 doesnt have nfs mounting (Why MS, you had it in W7!)

When it comes to installing my 3tb disks, I have read RDM is the best option. Am I able to merge these into some form of pool, then configure as RDM and present them to the synology OS?

Associate
I have it all setup now, transfering a test file from my current server to the ESXi box and only getting 11.4MB/s on a 1GB network, I need to check the cables but could anything else be giving poor performance? It is setup to use SMB as W8 doesnt have nfs mounting (Why MS, you had it in W7!)

When it comes to installing my 3tb disks, I have read RDM is the best option. Am I able to merge these into some form of pool, then configure as RDM and present them to the synology OS?

Yes but before you do that first just RDM one drive and test throughput. With one drive you should be able to practically saturate your network or close to it around 90 to 100 or more. Then once you know everything is OK then RDM all drives you wnt and create your raid.

Associate
Done abit of testing today after work, Transfering large files (4-12gb a piece) seems to be going at around 11.5MB/s. Now this is from a Windows 8 box with storage spaces and the ESXi box with Synology installed. I have both machines stating that they are connected at 1Gb however this is only to the next device.

Excuse the crude diagram below :p

CurrentServer<--1Gb-->HP_Switch<---->Generic_GB_Switch<--1Gb-->NL54

Router is attached to the HP Switch

I suspect a cable as it should be going quicker, more like 80+ so is there anything else I can tweak and mess with before i go hunting down a cable fault :(.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Tempting to try XPEnology but wondered does it support encryption and Jbod mode ?

Freenas looks good but in order to use there encryption you must loose quite a fair amount of hard drives and space just to use ZFS...

Soldato
OP
Done abit of testing today after work, Transfering large files (4-12gb a piece) seems to be going at around 11.5MB/s. Now this is from a Windows 8 box with storage spaces and the ESXi box with Synology installed. I have both machines stating that they are connected at 1Gb however this is only to the next device.

Excuse the crude diagram below :p

CurrentServer<--1Gb-->HP_Switch<---->Generic_GB_Switch<--1Gb-->NL54

Router is attached to the HP Switch

I suspect a cable as it should be going quicker, more like 80+ so is there anything else I can tweak and mess with before i go hunting down a cable fault :(.

Are the lights on the switch showing that you have a 1GB connection?
I don't use ESXi at all so I'm not much help sorry.

Tempting to try XPEnology but wondered does it support encryption and Jbod mode ?

Freenas looks good but in order to use there encryption you must loose quite a fair amount of hard drives and space just to use ZFS...

I would just search synology site after all it is the same software.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I would just search synology site after all it is the same software.

Yup tried just that but even in the live demo you cant use it fully ie load volumes or remove them etc.

Think ill have to install XPEnology and just test run it to find out.

Associate
Has anyone done an upgrade from 4.2 (keeping settings and data intact)? Is it has fonix232 mentions HERE (seems a little too simple)?

Upgrading from 4.2 to 4.3 was pretty simple to do but scary at the same time when it came up with the message formatting and installing new os, however my data was still intact as were the shares. All other settings were wiped though.

To upgrade you need to write the 4.3 image to the usb flash drive which will wipe it, boot up and go through the process as if you are installing for the first time, I'm not sure if I got any options to select the type of raid I want to setup. (please make a note when you update to 4.3 and post in the forums)

After all the options have been selected it goes through the motions of installing (this is when the message about formatting the hard drives comes up) mine did not reboot it self when the countdown got to 0 so I ended up rebooting it my self, when it came backup i logged in as admin and noticed it restored all the shares that had been setup previously.

Then follow the instructions to auto update!

Once that is done then just go through the settings of adding users/permissions and so forth.

Back
Top Bottom