HTC Vive

Soldato
It will be the longest damn wait ever I bet, enjoy it though my games list is getting longer with each day that passes lol up to 29 VR titles now.

29! blimey lol.

I have bought 6 games so far, more to come no doubt :) The wait hasn't been 'too' bad as I have been able to have a couple of goes on my brother-in-laws. I'm just glad it's nearly here but feel for those who have early order dates and still no news.

That said, my brother in law has had a problem arise in the last few days we can't fix where when you move the controllers in certain games they stutter. Frame rate is fine, and the headset itself is smooth as butter. The tracking with the controllers seem 1:1 too but there is this annoying stutter.. can't work it out.

Soldato
Tinkering with Revive and grabbing all the free stuff. I'd like to give Dreadhalls a shot but it's a tenner. Happy to pay if I know I can keep it, but I fear the cross-platform compatibility will get squashed at some point. Is there a demo somewhere?

It's good for laugh but of all the titles I've tried so far that's the only one that after 20 mins I feel hot and uneasy and had to stop for a break before continuing.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
It's good for laugh but of all the titles I've tried so far that's the only one that after 20 mins I feel hot and uneasy and had to stop for a break before continuing.
I found a demo for 0.9 version of oculus bit it doesn't seem to run in vive. Which version are you playing?

And yes I'm looking for that kind of experience. Still not replicated the fear of doom 3 in a darkened room at night with the speakers up very loud.

Soldato
Beta version of Vorpx released last night (with Vive support). Allows you to play a number of standard games in VR. Performance hit is pretty hefty though.

Also has a nice theatre mode which can be used to play videos/games (inc 3D) on a big virtual screen. I'll give a good test later to see how sick I feel :p

Associate
Not sure if this is the right place, or if its been answered before (cant be bothered to read 43 pages).

Sometimes when I start the vive and jump into DCS, the default "straight ahead" view is around 45 degrees to the left. Even when I re-do the setup procedure it will be that way.

After multiple attempts at the setup, it will suddenly be working correctly. It's driving me up the wall.

Has anyone else come across this?

Associate
Has anyone tried the Apollo 11 experience yet?

Aye....it's pretty good. At times it looks simplistic, and at times stunning, but its always immersive.
More of an edutainment title, though it does allow you to 'control' certain sections. Some lovely touches during these control sections though and the cramped nature lends itself to a smallish room-scale area.
Worth a run through at least once IMO for anyone interested in the subject matter.

plus
the 'monolith' easter egg on the lunar surface is a nice touch

Soldato
Anyone else whose delivery is Tuesday checked their bank to see if the money has gone out?

It was reserved in my account last week as my available balance was showing £700 less than my current balance.

Now I have tracked the parcel and it's somewhere in Germany so it has been sent out. Checking my bank balance again and my available balance has gone back up £700 and is now the same as my current balance. It's as if they have cancelled the charge.

Maybe it's just me being silly and the charge will come out anyway or they have made a **** up which i doubt.

Associate
Been messing around today learning the basics of Unity...

IT'S AMAZING.

And its a fantastic way to inspire you to learn to code/make programs even if tis just using Unity and its tools. I don't have much programming experience compared to the pros, but still a bit more knowledge than a complete noob, so I know that has helped a bit. I think it helps that I'm pretty decent at looking at problems, testing random things and seeing how they work..

In any case, have downloaded it and am trying to get my head around it all. I've just followed a walk through on how to set up a VR scene in Unity http://learn.vrdev.school/courses/vive-developer-mini, and at first all I managed to get was a ball that I can throw around with one controller...

Fast forward and in about another half an hour I have made it so that I can use both controllers, and have now figured out how to import 3D models I have created into the virtual scene and pick them up properly. I am having some problems the objects not being released from the controller every once in a while. It's probably easy enough to figure out, but I am stumbling around blindly haha. It's part of the fun though!

It's really incredible to create a world on your screen, then put the headset on and be inside it all, and able to pick bits up and move them around.

The best part is that I am importing models that I have created myself. I have a 3D printer, and taught myself to design CAD files for a startup I'm working on, plus things I want to make around the house.

zmtrOFm.jpg

Just made this mount for my headphones the other day, and it's already amazing to think that I just stared at a monitor, played with some shapes and geometry until it seemed right, hit print and a few hours later its up on my wall.

Now I can add a VR aspect to it all, inspecting my models in virtual space before I print them!

The Vive is great! :D I know I could still visuale them with the Rift, but at the moment the Vive is the only way to pick my models up with my hands.... well I guess there is the Leap motion as well, but that's probably a nightmare to code in proper collision and physics for!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom