HTC Vive

Soldato
Still confused over the problem with my brother-in-laws vive. We just can't work out what the problem is. After trying everything we can think of settings and vive wise, I re-installed his OS and drivers this eve to rule that out. It still happens.

Uploaded this vid of the issue. You can see everything runs smooth and there are no frame rate drops, it is purely the controllers blipping but is enough to ruin immersion. It happens in a few of his games but is smooth as anything in steamvr etc :( :( :(

Had to add link as it doesnt seem to like it when i embed it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9Z-zklXUU

Last edited:
Associate
Still confused over the problem with my brother-in-laws vive. We just can't work out what the problem is. After trying everything we can think of settings and vive wise, I re-installed his OS and drivers this eve to rule that out. It still happens.

Uploaded this vid of the issue. You can see everything runs smooth and there are no frame rate drops, it is purely the controllers blipping but is enough to ruin immersion. It happens in a few of his games but is smooth as anything in steamvr etc :( :( :(

Had to add link as it doesnt seem to like it when i embed it :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy9Z-zklXUU

All I can suggest is repositioning your light houses, look for possible interference, and potentially try disabling your headset's camera.

Just looks like dodgy tracking to me... no mirrors or anything like that?

Soldato
Tried all of that already, disabled btooth, camera, reprojection, hueristic thingy, we even took down pictures off the wall, the shade for his light (because it had a couple of shiny surfaces) and put the lighthouses on sturdy surfaces :(

The tracking of the controllers feels 1:1 still and works perfectly when not in game. It just jumps/stutters in a few games. We keep switching between thinking it is hardware then software. He has already contacted support but we are kinda hoping someone has had the same problem and knows what it was lol

Soldato
Tried all of that already, disabled btooth, camera, reprojection, hueristic thingy, we even took down pictures off the wall, the shade for his light (because it had a couple of shiny surfaces) and put the lighthouses on sturdy surfaces :(

The tracking of the controllers feels 1:1 still and works perfectly when not in game. It just jumps/stutters in a few games. We keep switching between thinking it is hardware then software. He has already contacted support but we are kinda hoping someone has had the same problem and knows what it was lol

Have you wiped all the sensors? Both lighthouse and controllers.

I had a bit of a head judder and wiped the sensors in the helmet and it was gone.

Soldato
I found a demo for 0.9 version of oculus bit it doesn't seem to run in vive. Which version are you playing?

And yes I'm looking for that kind of experience. Still not replicated the fear of doom 3 in a darkened room at night with the speakers up very loud.

Installed Occulus Home, bought Dreadhalls and then used the Revive injector to run the Dreadhalls exe.

It was the motion that eventually causes some uneasiness but that mixed with the jump scare tension adds to a properly masochistic experience :)

Soldato
Beta version of Vorpx released last night (with Vive support). Allows you to play a number of standard games in VR. Performance hit is pretty hefty though.

Also has a nice theatre mode which can be used to play videos/games (inc 3D) on a big virtual screen. I'll give a good test later to see how sick I feel :p

I keep thinking about selling mine then you go and post this and I have to spend the rest of the day tinkering!

Soldato

Have you tried setting the camera to 30hz. I keep reading this on Reddit.

Associate
The fact that it's super smooth in steam VR but not in games now maybe makes me think that perhaps his rig isn't up to processing the game world and track the controllers at the same time... Could that be it?

Soldato
Have you wiped all the sensors? Both lighthouse and controllers.

I had a bit of a head judder and wiped the sensors in the helmet and it was gone.

yea, unfortunately we have tried that.

Have you tried setting the camera to 30hz. I keep reading this on Reddit.

Yea,, we tried disabling the camera too.

The fact that it's super smooth in steam VR but not in games now maybe makes me think that perhaps his rig isn't up to processing the game world and track the controllers at the same time... Could that be it?

Well it could be, but the same games worked fine for around 3 weeks. We thought an update of some kind may have caused it but as no one else seems to be reporting it, have kind of disregarded this.

Thanks for your replies guys

Soldato
yea, unfortunately we have tried that.

Yea,, we tried disabling the camera too.

Well it could be, but the same games worked fine for around 3 weeks. We thought an update of some kind may have caused it but as no one else seems to be reporting it, have kind of disregarded this.

Thanks for your replies guys

Does Frame Timing show any indication (spikes etc) of a problem? I don't have mine yet but perhaps some others here could replicate your video on the last page??

Check here - few ideas. If I see anything else i'll add it in this thread.

I've read things like mirrors/windows/reflective surfaces can effect it too. Just thinking out loud.

How are the lighthouses mounted?

Temps of CPU/GPU?

Rolled back and controller updates?..if possible.

Edit: I think you've answered/tried most of these looking back a page.

Last edited:
Associate
Here's a much better video.

I'm sure others out there have made much better stuff that I have, but even at the basic state I really like what the Vive is capable of in terms of importing 3D models into Unity.

I'm looking forward to learning how to texture my objects, or g=making multi-part pieces that can be manipulated together. Plus make the environment more appealing so I can get an even better sense of scale. Perhaps I will replicate my real life desk/room so it really feels like the objects are real!!

Soldato
I'll keep thinking. Have you done the drastic OS reinstall.

Yep, I re-installed his OS and drivers yesterday :(

Does Frame Timing show any indication (spikes etc) of a problem? I don't have mine yet but perhaps some others here could replicate your video on the last page??

Check here - few ideas. If I see anything else i'll add it in this thread.

I've read things like mirrors/windows/reflective surfaces can effect it too. Just thinking out loud.

How are the lighthouses mounted?

Temps of CPU/GPU?

Rolled back and controller updates?..if possible.

Edit: I think you've answered/tried most of these looking back a page.

Frame time is perfect yea, and we have tried your other suggestions too. Will check that link out though thank-you, in case there are somethings we haven't tried.

I feel awful for him and annoyed with myself that I can't fix it for him lol. He has very little of pc knowledge so atm feels like he has wasted over a grand (as he bought 980ti etc too). I keep telling him it will get sorted and this is norm (not common but things pretend to break sometimes)for pc gear hehe. Doesn't help that HTC won't seem to ring him back. When mine comes tomorrow I might take my controllers and lighthouse round there to rule that out (or not if they are the problem).

Last edited:
Associate
I feel awful for him and annoyed with myself that I can't fix it for him lol. He has very little of pc knowledge so atm feels like he has wasted over a grand (as he bought 980ti etc too). I keep telling him it will get sorted and this is norm for pc gear hehe

Maybe try running with only one lighthouse in 'A' mode. My controllers track just fine like that when I'm at my desk. Might see that one lighthouse is busted and not the other?

Back
Top Bottom