Hyundai W241D-PVA

Associate
Has anyone had a chance to see/review this monitor yet? Its available from OCuk tomorrow and I'm thinking of getting one as I can plug my PC, PS3 and 360 in at the same time. I currently have a Dell 2407, but the Hyundai has PVA technology which I hear is pretty good....

Associate
OP
Sounds pretty conclusive to me!

I'll be giving my 2407 to my brother and getting this monitor mainly as it has HDMI and is not a downgrade on my current 24" (if I only knew I'd need HDMI when I spent £550 on my Dell monitor a few months ago, doh!).

Thanks for taking the time to post the pics, you probably are the first reviewer in the UK *famous*

Associate
OP
Right, I've just splashed out on the 240D-PVA, should be delivered on Friday (just in time for the weekend Crysis session). I'm going to hook it up to my PS3 and will post pictures on Sunday all being well.

All I need to do now is figure out where to put my 'old' Dell 2407.

Associate
OP
Gibbo, what is the dead pixel policy on these monitors?

I tried Jscreenfix but there's a couple of pixels which are stuck still.

Otherwise this monitor is much more vibrant than my Dell 2407 A04 (which didn't have any dead pixels btw!)

Associate
OP
Also got a bit of a problem with this monitor and the PS3....

When watching Blu-Ray movies, the screen keeps going crazy and back to normal every 2 seconds, this is via the HDMI port and makes Blu-Ray movie watching impossible. I know the PS3 is working as movies play without issue on my Dell monitor using a HDMI>DVI cable. Games also work without a problem so its just Blu-Ray movies for some reason.

This, combined with the three stuck pixels makes me not happy. The monitor looks very nice and the picture IS good, but using my PS3 on this was one of the main reasons I bought it...

Any advice on why blu-ray isn't working welcome.

Associate
OP
I've just call OCUk to see about getting a replacement. They said to contact Hyundai directly for a replacement, but unfortunately they are not open today. Will try on Monday but as I've only had the monitor for a day I can at least return it under the distance selling act if they start messing me around! I've read other posts where Hyundai take ages to come around to swap monitors and I'm not in the mood to wait as I dished out over £400 on this yesterday and its not working properly!

Its even more annoying as I recently deployed about 100 x HP1940 monitors at work, these 19" monitors cost about £100 and there were NO dead pixels or problems on any of them. I spend £400... Just my luck.

Associate
OP
I'll see what Hyundai say on Monday, they could come over on Tuesday with a new replacement, thats how good Illyama was when I had one of their monitors (I had to swap my original 17" a couple of times over the 3 years but at least they did it quickly! Plus it died, none of this dead pixel nonsense and if they could make reliable screens years ago why not now?).

Frankly, if I dont get a quick turn around then DSA is the way to go.

I do like the screen, ignoring the dead pixels, PS3 games look great and Crysis does look better than on my Dell 2407 (revision A04), plus the stand is much more adjustable than on the Dell, plus the integrated speakers are 'ok' for when I dont use my headphones. The colours are vivid and even the icons on my desktop look sharper, I watch a lot of DivX tv from the internet and can say that I prefer watching stuff on this panel.

So I want to try and get it sorted as I like the monitor minus the pixel issues and dont want to be out of pocket by returning it via DSA incurring delivery costs.

Associate
OP
Here are a couple of pics of the 240D and the PS3:

I dont think the pictures really do the screen quality justice, its just my rubbish camera.

For some reason the Blu-Ray playback now works without problems today, weird.

Associate
OP
Its the picture taking, the plastic around the screen is also really reflective, perhaps thats what's doing it, but sitting infront of the panel I cant see any uneven blacks. I will try to get better pictures tomorrow/monday if I can, I just wanted to let you all know that it does work with the PS3, I'll put last night's experience down to gremlins or photo it for evidence next time!

Back
Top Bottom