I got me 3D printer, awesome!

Soldato
They only work on plastic at the moment dont they?

I read in a Chemical Engineering magazine the other month (unfortunately not featured on Have I Got News for You!) that people have also used them to print out chocolate and other "molten" foods. Funky shaped chocolate, although I shall echo the above and say that a penis-/breast-shaped chocolates would be the first printed :p

Associate
Omg that is so cool damn!!! I want one..how tough is the ABS plastic then?

How does the software work then, can you copy 3D models into the software and it prints it out? for example..importing a 3D model of a car (the 1/24 scale ones or whatever)?.

I'm amazed at this! You could make some good money of this too, making various models and selling them on ebay or something!

Associate
these look really interesting but i have to admit i dont fully understand them - what exactly can and cant it produce?
What kind of things are you using it for?
Would love to know a bit more about them from someone who actually has one and uses it

Man of Honour
If only I had £1700 lying about.....

Less than 1/3rd that for a reprap. Although you need to build it yourself. But not hard following plans. Still currently to much money for not enough scope. Come on reprap 3.

Could make some cool moulds to do glass/carbon fiver models with.
One would be sweet and your combo is awesome can print stuff out then laser it, sweet.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yoda!

yodaj.jpg

Still working out the settings for best results, but in reality that yoda is sweet, you can see all the bumps and detail of skin.

My camera is not that good, I should go and get the DSLR out really.

Associate
OP
At my local hacker space we are building a rep-rap mendal.

As much as I like the DIY route, I need to prototype products that I design, so I use the 3D printer to make bits my laser or hand making are too tricky to do.

So rather then get a DIY one, I opted to go the prefab route. At the end of the day I do the work in CAD then hit print - simples! No mucking about.

Associate
saw a program yesterday where he took a 3d scan of an adjustable spanner then printed an exact copy. all the moving parts worked straight out of the printer. no assembly or anything. he just pulled it out then tightened up a bolt with it.

This is incredible, do want!

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom