• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

Soldato
Thought I'd start this off, get your overclock results in here folks!

Memory used = Corsair DDR4 16GB (2X8GB) 3000Mhz C15 kit (£130 at OCUK)
Mobo used = Asus Maximus Hero VIII

Cinebench R15 6700k @ Stock:

DPffBp2.png

Cinebench R15 6700K @ 4.9Ghz, 100 BLCK, default cache (1.4V):

4QTOa5T.png

6700k @ 4.7Ghz core, 4.4Ghz cache, 100Mhz BLCK, 1.38V:

1zgyqn5.jpg

Note that this was a very basic overclock, I haven't touched the cache speed or the BCLK- I've seen others scoring 1060+ in Cinebench R15 @ 4.8Ghz but with higher BLCK and tuned cache. I'll tune my overclock at some point and push further.

4.7Ghz seems the sweet spot for my CPU in terms of voltage needed and temperatures. 4.7GHhz is stable at 1.35V and the temperatures reach 81DC in AIDA64 over a 2 hour period. Cooling is a H110I GT.

Wanted to add that I upgraded from a I7 920 @ 3.6Ghz and I'm very happy with my purchase. The majority of the games I play (Arma3, Dayz, WoW) are not very multi-threaded, so IPC is key for me. My minimum framerates are massively improved, power consumption and heat output are way down comapred to my x58 and it's very nice to have SATA3, M.2, USB3.1, PCI-E V3, NVME support etc :)

Bad quality photo of my rig, for anyone interested:
3m3ZyPz.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Is 1.35v what people are going for as a safe air-cooled 24/7 voltage on these?

That's "up there" on haswell chips, after a shrink, don't we normally reduce voltage?

As I understand it, for Skylake the CPU voltage and the cache voltage are now linked - so voltage appears higher for Skylake. Something to do with the removal of the FIVR, it was mentioned in some reviews.

The main limitation is temperatures, due to the non soldered IHS.

Soldato
OP
Already have my 6700k, ordering the rest of the build soon :)

Undecided on whether or not I will de-lid. Seeing as people are getting 4.6+ easily I might not :)

Here's the rest of the build, I'm still currently undecided
dYBR424.png

NH-D15 or H110? Tough choices :confused:

Should be great setup mate :)

Though I'd recommend trying to find 3000Mhz C15 DDR4 instead of 2400Mhz - Skylake scales really well with faster memory. The Corsair kit at £130 is a good deal IMO - though out of stock at the moment.

NH D-15 will be much much quieter than the H110. I'm actually returning my H110I GT due to the annoying pump noise (high pitched bird chirping noise, even on 'silent' mode) and getting a Noctua instead due to this issue.

Soldato
OP
Only a question so don't think I'm trolling, but what's the thought process involved here, why you bought 6700k and not a 5820k?

(Maybe this is the wrong place for such a debate :o)

Yeh I'd rather not get into this here, plenty of other threads for debating this, though I did mention my reasoning behind my purchase in my opening post :)

Soldato
OP
My i7 6700k comes Wednesday. Doing my first Mini ITX build.

EVGA Z170 Stinger board with Kingston Fury Black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 2666MHz w/ Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX case Titan X. Looking forward to the build.

Nice build by the way Dave :)

Very nice system Dave, interesting to see what clocks others achieve on theese. Enjoy.:)

Thanks guys :)

Should be a great system you're building there, Simon ;)

Soldato
OP
Dave, out of interest could you try benching at 4.7ghz please

I was going to upgrade to Skylake but went for a 2nd hand 4790k instead. At 4.7ghz it scores 940

Memory used = Kingston HyperX Grey DDR3 16GB (4X4GB) 1600Mhz C9
Mobo used = Gigabyte z97x gaming 7

Sure.

I also started playing around overclocking the cache - it seems to respond very well to this.

6700k @ 4.7Ghz core, 4.4Ghz cache, 100Mhz BLCK, 1.38V:

1zgyqn5.jpg

Thats a better score than my 4.9Ghz run - seems the cache makes a huge difference.

I need to start playing around with the BLCK also - 200Mhz seems to add some more performance.

Also note I haven't fully tested voltages yet - I may be stable at lower volts, haven't had time to fully test, so many settings to test/play with Skylake :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Very nice clock m8,

I was eagle eyeing on Skylake launch day and the competitor I bought my 6600k had the 6700k in stock for £264.

I went to read/watch some reviews of it, come back then was out of stock. Damn you TTL with your 45 min video.

Then just settled for an 6600k and bought my motherboard and ram @OCuk

Haha yeh his videos do go on a bit :D

How are you getting on with your 6600k?

Soldato
OP
Thanks. How do you overclock just the cache?

By overclocking BLCK that also overclocks memory doesnt it?

I tried with 2400mhz memory (2x4gb) instead of 1600mhz (4x4gb) and the score went from 940 > 940. I imagine memory increases will help but 200 x 23.5 will be a lot more unstable for me i imagine than 100 x 47

Skylake separates the BLCK from the other buses, it's different from Haswell in that way.

To overclock cache, I had to set the cache multiplier limit to the desired value, so max = 44 and minimum = 44 for 4.4Ghz cache.

Next up I'll try BLCK overclocking to see what the impact is :)

Soldato
OP
I see the prices are starting to creep upwards! Certainly way above the original estimate of around £270. Glad I got mine when I did.

Same. I'm curious to know how many OCUK have sold, since they ran out of stock of the 6700k a few days ago, had another batch in, now that batch is nearly sold out also.

Still really enjoying my upgrade, the jump from Bloomfield to Skylake is simply huge, and I still can't get over how cool and quiet it runs compared to my overclocked i7 920 :eek:

Soldato
OP
Hi guys, add me to the club.

Mine is running nicely at 4.7GHz at the moment with the cache still at 4GHz, didn't know I could up that too. Currently at 1.35 vcore in the bios.

ROG Maximus Hero Mobo
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz
980Ti
Samsung m.2 SSD 256gb

All water cooled.

Excuse the power supply lead colours, my AX1200i stopped working and is being RMA'd at the moment, back to my trusty ST1000.

Nice setup dude :) The Hero VIII sure looks the part :D

What did you upgrade from btw?

Soldato
OP
Z77 UD5 with a 3770k and a 7970...

This is a nice little upgrade, should see me through the next 3 years or so!

Nice upgrade, should last you quite a while for sure :)

I also noticed the M.2 slot on the Maximus Hero VIII (and other Z170 mobo's) have a very long M.2 slot, which supports 2242/2260/2280/22110 sizes.

I can only assume Samsung and the like will be releasing new much higher capacity M.2 SSD's in the future - most likely using the 3D V-NAND etc.

The older Z97 platform seems to only have 2260/2280 size M.2 slots available - so I assume Asus know something big is coming?

Soldato
OP
Waiting 8 days still no stock anywhere except Asus cheapest on Matx motherboards for Skylake starting get on my nerves got everything else just the good board I need.
Looks like end of the this month what a joke.

Seems the demand was quite high, since everywhere sold out at least once already.

Stock should be stable in September, apparently.

Soldato
OP
im having a nightmare since i updated bios on mine

with everything on auto my cpu is 1.248v , and its not dropping when in idle was before 0.764v , but the speed drops to 800mhz

with yours you got it set when in idle to drop speed and voltage ?

before bios update i had it at 4.5ghz, auto volts which were around 1.36 and idle 0.764v was more then happy not cant get anywhere, and flashing back older bios aint giving me what i had before , its like the newer bios updated something even flashing older bios aint the same as before

Thanks

I'm using the same motherboard, I set mine manually to 1.28v with adaptive voltage of +0.05v as I remember (the lowest increase possible) and mine reduces voltage at idle etc. Worth a go.

Soldato
OP
I think i read somewhere, there is a setting to make your cpu run at boost all the time ? to be sure your getting maximum out of your cpu all the time.

It's to be assumed that the majority of 'k' CPU owners are overclocking well past the turbo boost mode of the CPU.

For example on this forum, aptly named 'overclockers.co.uk' 99% of 'k' owners are overclocking their CPU, making the standard turbo of 4.2Ghz pointless.

Soldato
OP
Out of all you owners, would you lot recommend i upgrade to Skylake from a 4790k, i have means to use the mobo/processor in another guest rig so it wont go to waste, but DDR4 and Skylakes lower power usage and such seem like a good way of future proofing.

Will there be a 4790k equivelent of skylake one day or is the 6700 pretty much it?

I'd only recommend this if you had a burning need of the 4790k/z97 to be used in your guest system.

You won't notice the difference between a 4790k and a 6700k in games at all, maybe in rendering/productivity benchmarks you'll see a difference.

The Z170 chipset is indeed more futureproof than Z97 though. DDR4 as you said, DMI 3.0, native NVMe, 20 PCI-E V3 lanes on the PCH for high speed PCI-E SSD's etc.

Back
Top Bottom