• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 6700k Owners Club

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Associate
I received my 6700k, for the moment 4.7 at 1.38v. To get 4.8 I would have to go above 1.4 which is too much for my cooling to keep it quiet and reasonable temps (110iGT+2x noctua).

Gigabyte motherboard is not that great for the moment (I hope it's gonna improve with the new bios:/ ). I can run my memory with xmp 3200 CL16, but any changes crash the bios (I have to load optimized settings). I can't change timings or frequency (even with upped mem voltages.

Overclocking processor is also kinda weird. Setting 1.4v in bios gives you under load in windows...1.3V and instant crash lol (I read one review which mentioned the same thing). Changing LLC to high gives v drop only by 0.01V. None of the windows apps can read gigabite voltages, only their app can do it. CPUZ shows something like 1.85v with 1.38 in bios.

Increasing bus speed crashes the system no matter what, dynamic voltage...crashes the system. I think you can run this board only with everything on default:D

Fan control is still crap for gigabyte. You can setup profile in the windows app but ...you can't save it;] so every time you startup PC they run at like 80-90%. I control Noctua fans with corsair link which is ok but case fans are nightmare. Even if you want to set up fixed rpms, above 70C they will run at 100% because this is how app works. Sometimes fans just speed up out of nothing and then slow down to setup speed. Don't recommend:)

Even LED lights around sound card when setup to white look more like yellow so don't match the look:) had to switch them off.

I would probably go for Hero VIII now when I know it's that bad. Maybe in the future it'll get better.

Soldato
I received my 6700k, for the moment 4.7 at 1.38v. To get 4.8 I would have to go above 1.4 which is too much for my cooling to keep it quiet and reasonable temps (110iGT+2x noctua).

Gigabyte motherboard is not that great for the moment (I hope it's gonna improve with the new bios:/ ). I can run my memory with xmp 3200 CL16, but any changes crash the bios (I have to load optimized settings). I can't change timings or frequency (even with upped mem voltages.

Overclocking processor is also kinda weird. Setting 1.4v in bios gives you under load in windows...1.3V and instant crash lol (I read one review which mentioned the same thing). Changing LLC to high gives v drop only by 0.01V. None of the windows apps can read gigabite voltages, only their app can do it. CPUZ shows something like 1.85v with 1.38 in bios.

Increasing bus speed crashes the system no matter what, dynamic voltage...crashes the system. I think you can run this board only with everything on default:D

Fan control is still crap for gigabyte. You can setup profile in the windows app but ...you can't save it;] so every time you startup PC they run at like 80-90%. I control Noctua fans with corsair link which is ok but case fans are nightmare. Even if you want to set up fixed rpms, above 70C they will run at 100% because this is how app works. Sometimes fans just speed up out of nothing and then slow down to setup speed. Don't recommend:)

Even LED lights around sound card when setup to white look more like yellow so don't match the look:) had to switch them off.

I would probably go for Hero VIII now when I know it's that bad. Maybe in the future it'll get better.

Hi, that's one of the main reasons i went with Asus Hero VIII, i came from a gigabyte and they dont have great fan controls,

with Hero VIII i can control each fan, i have five case fans and still ver quite, , using noctua fans , there is four fan headers and 2 fans i split from 1 header

i also got the speed up and down , like it was going by the CPU usage ver annoying, i just kept manually adjusting each fan and finally its gone, also there is a delay option which even set at 50 secs it would still do it , i think its going by the motherboard temp as a little usage it can jump straight to 55c from like 28c

with you overclock does the frequency go lower when idle and voltage drop like 0.700v , as i would really prefer this to save electric

i currently have mine at 4.5ghz seems ok and on stock voltage and it lowers the voltage when idle, but would love to get more but keep the power saving

Associate
I read that people had issues with gigabyte motherboards and fans, but to be honest I thought they will fix it with new generation of motherboards. My old asrock was better to setup speed as per CPU temp:D

For the moment I have fixed voltage:/ so even though frequency drops down at idle, voltage isn't. I assume the only option is dynamic voltage (which should work like offset?) but this doesn't seem to work. Have to play with settings a bit more over the weekend.

Associate
I just got my 6700k and immediately over-clocked it to 4.6Ghz. Its under a Kraken X61, but under the high level intel stress test the temperatures were getting to the high 90s. As I hate noise the Kraken is cranked right down to minimum, so one way forward was to turn everything up a bit. I decided against this, and delided the cpu which was surprisingly easy without bending the PCB. The IHS was put back on with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, and my max temps are now 70, nearly a 30 degree drop!

Last edited:
Associate
I just got my 6700k and immediately over-clocked it to 4.6Ghz. Its under a Kraken X61, but under the high level intel stress test the temperatures were getting to the high 90s. As I hate noise the Kraken is cranked right down to minimum, so one way forward was to turn everything up a bit. I decided against this, and delided the cpu which was surprisingly easy without bending the PCB. The IHS was put back on with Coollaboratory Liquid Pro, and my max temps are now 70, nearly a 30 degree drop!

Very nice! Did you use adhesive when putting the IHS back on?

Soldato
Out of interest selected the third step in the auto overclocking switch on the board and hey presto... 4.6 on the core and even slightly OC's the memory.

Usually sceptical of these auto OC tools on mobos. But this one seems pretty good (core ratio 45 with a small increase in blk). Checked the other settings in the BIOS and it's pretty much what I would have done eventually manually.

Core voltage in BIOS is actually lower than what it sets for running stock.

Temps are actually lower running the OC than for stock (voltage I suppose). The board (like most I suppose) does tend to go over-board (sorry for the pun) when running a dynamic voltage. IBT on the over-clock only hits low 60's temp wise, as apposed to low 70's at stock). Not bad running on air cooler (Noctua NH-U14S in push/pull). Pretty impressed really :)

Soldato
Well decided to jump in as well and got a 6700K. Still not got a MOBO yet as the ones I like are not in stock anywhere. Really looking forward to getting it all sorted out and playing around to see what the 6700K can do.

I bought the mini itx evga z170 stinger 2 weeks ago. It's ok, but miss all the things you get with a full ATX board. Might wait for the asus tuff board? When ever that gets released??

Associate
Nice result :)

I'm really surprised at how cool running these CPU's are, compared to my X58 system.

Overclocking seems to be great too, lots of people getting 4.5, 4.6Ghz on stock (or less) volts :)

yea surprised it ran, just put vcore to 1.280 and bam worked straight away, got a 980ti and 144hz 1080p screen and games are running so very nice :D also had a i7 970 which used to be the opposite, dam that thing got so hot

Soldato
Nice result :)

I'm really surprised at how cool running these CPU's are, compared to my X58 system.

Overclocking seems to be great too, lots of people getting 4.5, 4.6Ghz on stock (or less) volts :)

Indeed.

Mine will also do 4.6 quite happily on Vcore slightly lower than set for stock in the BIOS.

Makes you wonder why the VID is set so high for stock on this chip. They commented on this very thing in the Anand article.

Soldato
Hi, wondering what is the max cpu temp, cant see it on specs, just so i know what max i can set on bios , also ou get temps for cores and also CPU, which one do you go with, cores seems much higher temp

playing gta 5 for 2 hours, max cpu temp was 45c, but the cores reading is around 67c

Thanks

Associate
Hi, wondering what is the max cpu temp, cant see it on specs, just so i know what max i can set on bios , also ou get temps for cores and also CPU, which one do you go with, cores seems much higher temp

playing gta 5 for 2 hours, max cpu temp was 45c, but the cores reading is around 67c

Thanks

on mine after about 4 hours on witcher 3 max temp was core 1 at 61 core 2 at 60 then 3 was 56 and 4 54 :)

Soldato
on mine after about 4 hours on witcher 3 max temp was core 1 at 61 core 2 at 60 then 3 was 56 and 4 54 :)

yeah the highest core was 67c, but others 54c etc, also my cpu fans are only going at 800rpm, so its quite, can increase that,

im just wondering what are the max temps ? you go by the CPU temp or the Core Temps ?

THanks

Associate
yeah the highest core was 67c, but others 54c etc, also my cpu fans are only going at 800rpm, so its quite, can increase that,

im just wondering what are the max temps ? you go by the CPU temp or the Core Temps ?

THanks

I just go off the individual cores :) as long as the highest core never goes over 68 im fine with it :) try lowering your voltage too these chips are insane, if you didnt see my post earlier im at 1.280v but got it overclocked to 4.6 lol

Associate
You've got pretty good chip:) mine needs 1.32v to get 4.6. Still happy, as some people get only 4.5 at this voltage.

I can't stabilise offset though on my motherboard. Voltage is jumping like crazy. Even with offset -0.060V it can jump up to 1.38-1.40 (with some testing apps). The other time (with the same settings) it's below [email protected]. It gives me constant spikes (which I can see with temperature jumping up) even at idle. So I prefer to keep it at manual all the time, temperature is about 27C idle anyway and I don't see annoying 1s changes in temps. In addition with offset many times PC is just not going past bios:rolleyes: not worth it for me.

I checked power for manual 1.32V and offset -0.060V , difference is at idle about 15-20W more power drained with manual setting. While gaming witcher3 more less similar (maybe manual a bit less by ~5W).

Back
Top Bottom