iRacing

Soldato
Yeah, that should be good, GPL was my first experience of sim racing, although I would've preferred they did the Eagle Weslake, as that's clearly way better than the Lotus

The Eagle is about half a second slower on most tracks. It's a smidgen faster at Monza and Spa but 4-5 seconds slower at the Nordschleife. It is far easier to drive than the Lotus though.

Soldato
Yeah, I know that, although in my hands back then the Eagle was faster everywhere (compared to me in the Lotus, not to anybody else), because as you say it was that bit more stable and easier to drive.

I also think it looks better personally :)

I'm also kicking myself for not pre-ordering the L49, I knew/know I'm gonna buy it but I generally don't bother doing any of the pre-orders, I wait for it'll be released, still at least I get the 30% discount for owning all the content, something at least :p

Associate
Been watching the thread - trying to get back into iRacing - used to race a lot in the Skippy. Got reasonably consistent - iRating now around 1950.

Bought the McClaren and Kia and Interlagos. I am used to a tricky car in the Skippy but am really struggling with the Kia for some reason - can barely do a lap in it.

Recently switched to Linear FFB mode and it feels pretty different been working at setting the FFB to the right level on my Fanatec Turbo S wheel. On a side note no issues at all with that wheel or my Clubsport V1 pedals. I had a GT3 v1 wheel which did have issues but since then Fanatec have become much a much bigger more professional company - got my eye on a club sport wheel at some point.

For those struggling to find extra pace from nowhere - this video is superb - Skip Barber "Going Faster". Get past first couple of minutes and it demonstrates what carrying a few more mph onto a straight means to the time down the straight - add those sections together and there you go ....

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, you've got the whole lot? :o

Yep, been at 100% for a long time now, once there it's pretty cheap really with the 25/30% discount and they only release one or two bits of content at a time.

It does mean I have some cars I really dislike, and knew I'd dislike before I bought though, notably the Jetta and Kia, both hateful cars :p

Associate
Im 4 road cars short but I cannot bring myself to buy them when I know that I dont like them(tried em on a mates account) - V8,Lotus 79,HPD and F1 .Total $35.84 with the magic 25% off

Man of Honour
I hate this game at the moment.

Driving the McLaren around Sebring is like driving on ice compared to races I've done at Zandvoort, Interlagos and Spa.

I've been using a Silverstone setup because I don't like the Sebring ones I've tried. I actually broke 2:04 in practice today with race fuel and felt confident enough to actually race.

I reckon I managed 6 laps at best before I had absolutely no front end grip at all. In the end I just raged quit and forfeited the race.

I think I'll just have to accept that I just don't have the skill for this game.

Associate
I think you might be relying too heavily on setups... I've happily raced for months on the default setups (in all cars) and I'm almost always in the top 5.

It is an unforgiving sim if you over-drive the cars.

Man of Honour
I think you might be relying too heavily on setups... I've happily raced for months on the default setups (in all cars) and I'm almost always in the top 5.

It is an unforgiving sim if you over-drive the cars.

Even if I use default setups, it's not going to magically give the skill to keep the car on the black stuff. :(

I genuinely feel I'm just not good enough and I don't have the time or the patience to practice until I might be.

Associate
That's a shame. Are you all set up as good as possible with your hardware? Specifically I'm talking about running at least 60fps and v-sync off... input lag is a killer in such a twitchy sim like this.

Soldato
Sebring is a challenge. It's big and flat and featureless and low grip. Took me a few months to get the hang of it in Forza. I've just bought it for the Jetta TDI comp in iRacing, and there's much more detail. Bad and broken bits of track all over the place, at least the massive bump in the final corner isn't as bad!

Best tip I have is not to over drive it, the place bites.

Man of Honour
That's a shame. Are you all set up as good as possible with your hardware? Specifically I'm talking about running at least 60fps and v-sync off... input lag is a killer in such a twitchy sim like this.

Running with a GTX 580, 6GB RAM and an i7 920 @ 3.8Ghz. I'm getting over 80 FPS maxed out at 1920x1200.

I do think that a triple monitor setup will help me because, from the videos I've watched, the FOV the triple screen provide means it's easier to set up the game to more realistically represent what you actually can see out of the car in real life.

Maybe a better set of pedals or at least a load cell for the T500 pedals I have might help also.

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm. How about visible driver hands and wheel? I always disable them because I find it distracting. It helps me to visualise my real wheel as being attached to the car on screen.

Soldato
Starting to race in 2000+ SoF races now and the close racing from start to finish is so intense...

I can't do back to back races because I need a break after constantly being under pressure for the whole race :p

I tried Sebring for a bit in practice and gave up but I'm going to be learning it in the Skippy this next week... oh the joy.

Back
Top Bottom