iRacing

Soldato
If you ever need info, go to reddits iracing forum. Great place for extra tips and all codes are always on the right hand side of their page..

Associate
MarkR, those pedals sound awesome! I know Fanatec can get some hate on the iRacing forums but in my experience they've always been great and make amazing products.

I finally got my diy build working last night for the first time after an agonizing wait for my wheel to be released from UK customs!

WOW...

Coming from a CSW V1 it's an unbelievable improvement. The fidelity and immediacy of the feedback is light years ahead of what I've experienced before, catching slides become like an instinctive reaction almost like I have a 6th sense and I feel far more connected to the 'road' than I ever have before, the compression through Eau Rouge is incredible and feeling bumps and kerbs that I never knew existed previously. I'm only using the stock settings at the minute (100% in MMOS, 40nm in iRacing, this equates to about half the available power and it's easily 'enough') so I'm sure I can improve it further with a little tweaking.

I fired up Assetto Corsa too and after nearly shaking the house apart when I never changed the FFB down from 150% that I used to run it on I set it to 40% and found it to be vastly improved from what I remembered, I will have to spend a little more time tweaking but I know I'll be spending more time than before in this Sim. I've never felt that any piece of equipment for sim racing I've bought would ever make me faster, with this I feel like there is a possibility it could. The feel from the car is so much clearer, I can push my beloved C-Spec to drifts without losing the back end so driving on or close to the limit I think I'll have a better idea of what the car is doing. I guess I'll have to wait till I can race properly again to find out...

All in (without a wheel rim) this project has cost about £900 which seems expensive but I have not scrimped on parts, the quick release alone cost just over £100 but it will last a lifetime, just like the other parts, our application for this equipment is much lower than what it's built for and to date, no one has reported a problem with an OSW once it's built correctly.

I could say a lot more about the Sam Maxwell rim, his workmanship and attention to detail really are first class. I'm now one of 'those' guys who races in gloves. so I don't damage the suede, honest... :cool:

My Obutto Rev is, I would say, adequate at the force levels I'm running. I still need to get a larger plate to mount it to but big crashes where you have to let go of the wheel vibrate the whole rig a fair amount, so next on my list now will be a change to a full 8020 rig.

So far, in my experience, the hype for DD wheels is real. I'll post a picture or two later if anyone's interested.

Associate
MarkR, those pedals sound awesome! I know Fanatec can get some hate on the iRacing forums but in my experience they've always been great and make amazing products.

I finally got my diy build working last night for the first time after an agonizing wait for my wheel to be released from UK customs!

WOW...

Coming from a CSW V1 it's an unbelievable improvement. The fidelity and immediacy of the feedback is light years ahead of what I've experienced before, catching slides become like an instinctive reaction almost like I have a 6th sense and I feel far more connected to the 'road' than I ever have before, the compression through Eau Rouge is incredible and feeling bumps and kerbs that I never knew existed previously. I'm only using the stock settings at the minute (100% in MMOS, 40nm in iRacing, this equates to about half the available power and it's easily 'enough') so I'm sure I can improve it further with a little tweaking.

I fired up Assetto Corsa too and after nearly shaking the house apart when I never changed the FFB down from 150% that I used to run it on I set it to 40% and found it to be vastly improved from what I remembered, I will have to spend a little more time tweaking but I know I'll be spending more time than before in this Sim. I've never felt that any piece of equipment for sim racing I've bought would ever make me faster, with this I feel like there is a possibility it could. The feel from the car is so much clearer, I can push my beloved C-Spec to drifts without losing the back end so driving on or close to the limit I think I'll have a better idea of what the car is doing. I guess I'll have to wait till I can race properly again to find out...

All in (without a wheel rim) this project has cost about £900 which seems expensive but I have not scrimped on parts, the quick release alone cost just over £100 but it will last a lifetime, just like the other parts, our application for this equipment is much lower than what it's built for and to date, no one has reported a problem with an OSW once it's built correctly.

I could say a lot more about the Sam Maxwell rim, his workmanship and attention to detail really are first class. I'm now one of 'those' guys who races in gloves. so I don't damage the suede, honest... :cool:

My Obutto Rev is, I would say, adequate at the force levels I'm running. I still need to get a larger plate to mount it to but big crashes where you have to let go of the wheel vibrate the whole rig a fair amount, so next on my list now will be a change to a full 8020 rig.

So far, in my experience, the hype for DD wheels is real. I'll post a picture or two later if anyone's interested.

Yes please on the pics, particularly any more that detail the build..

Associate
I don't have any more pictures of the build, I changed phones half way through the build (I had a break for a couple of weeks too) and never backed up my pictures. I can take any you'd like though, on reflection now it's a much simpler schematic to follow once I got my head around how it went together.

23315392571_b4de252188_c.jpg

Soldato
That sounds awesome Muska. After trying your CSW and being amazed by that I can't even fathom what the OSW must be like.

Is it possible you can post a shopping list of the parts you bought to put it together? I know there's lots of info about them in the iRacing OSW forum, but it's so disjointed and I have no idea what works with what motor, or encoder, what needs to be soldered to what etc. Half the battle seems to be figuring out what you actually need to do to end up with a decent wheel.

Associate
I'd be glad to, I'm putting together a spread sheet with links to all the parts I ended up buying. There is actually much less soldering than I was expecting, be happy to talk anyone through it in more detail.

Associate
Here is the spreadsheet of all the parts I bought:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cT2IC82gXUVt7cG-t6wsfpHXEQcnj-85AVy6_7gIIl0/edit?usp=sharing

A couple are from china (servo & wire) USA for a couple of the wiring parts but they arrived before the parts I bought from an EU store! You'll also need some insulated connectors & heat shrink

I used this guide while building mine: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4fh84ubdqd1u13/BuildGuideonProjectBruteForce.pdf?dl=0

This one is also worth a read although it's for an Argon build, not IONI: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1gsj42juwkx852/OpenSimwheel-Tutorial.pdf?dl=0

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having procrastinated on it for a few days I've just ordered the CSW v2 and discounted Xbox One rim bundle.

Can't wait!

:D

We can be Fanatec V2 Base and V3 Pedal buddies :D:D:D

Apparently mine have been dispatched, but no tracking information yet.

Slightly annoyed that the BMW rim and Shifter I had to order separately haven't been dispatched yet. I can only assume they were very busy on Friday, because the second order was placed at lunchtime.

Soldato
We can be Fanatec V2 Base and V3 Pedal buddies :D:D:D

Apparently mine have been dispatched, but no tracking information yet.

Slightly annoyed that the BMW rim and Shifter I had to order separately haven't been dispatched yet. I can only assume they were very busy on Friday, because the second order was placed at lunchtime.

Only V1 pedals, however they were a bargain £50 (used) from a mate.

Shifter hadn't crossed my mind .... until now. Assuming I sell on the G27 complete the best value solution is the new logitech G29/G920 upgrade one for £25 and a bodnar usb adapter cable.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Dup

Dup

Soldato
So just resubbed. I have no ratings, sure I did last time. I guess they expire? Although I only ever did MX5 at Laguna Seca from what I remember so I didn't do much. Had my CSR Elite back then.

Got a G27 now and it all feels very familiar. Just been doing practice in the MX-5 on Okayama and managed to get myself into a 1:52.9 with plenty to find. Watched a tutorial but looked like the guy was flat clutchless upshfting in the MX5, but I cant seem to do that... weird. He got a 1:49.* ugh, that'll take weeks to find.

Wish I had a proper rig. Just aint gonna happen, haven't the room or space so my driving is compromised. What I am going to do is mount the pedals on some MDF and also make a hole for the wheel on my chair so the pedals don't move. I think that'll help me find some consistency. Especially with the Nixim brake mod as I need to give it some welly to slow the thing down sometimes!

Hope to experience a race soon. Best get some more practice in and do some time trial for rating.

Man of Honour
Only V1 pedals, however they were a bargain £50 (used) from a mate.

Shifter hadn't crossed my mind .... until now. Assuming I sell on the G27 complete the best value solution is the new logitech G29/G920 upgrade one for £25 and a bodnar usb adapter cable.

Unless anyone has a better suggestion?

Second hand Thrustmaster TH8 RS.

It might cost a bit more than the Logitech shifter and the Bodnar cable, but it will be a ten times better shifter than the Logitech one.

Associate
Argh... first two races in rookie and both times I get spun out by someone barging for position... wrecking the car. I was running for 2nd in my first race, too :(

Sadlly this will happen a lot in rookies, best thing you can do is try to avoid any trouble

Rookies is all about getting your SR high enough to get yourself out of there, don't worry too much about where you finish

Back
Top Bottom