Is it worth Buying an Apple Watch?

Soldato
Just want to get the thoughts from owners as to whether they feel the Apple watch is worth having? I have an iPhone and and Macbook though always wondered if the watch was just another gadget I didn't really need as I ended up feeling that way about my iPad and sold it. I have an old cheapo smart Band which I regularly wear daily but have never tried an Apple Watch.

Debating whether to buy myself one (Apple Watch SE) as an Xmas present? Is it worth it?

Last edited:
Commissario
I wouldn’t be without mine, I’ve had one since the start and I love it. It’s an extension to the phone for alerts and it’s great for Apple Pay.

You could buy one and you have an extended return period to try it.

Soldato
I wouldn’t be without mine, I’ve had one since the start and I love it. It’s an extension to the phone for alerts and it’s great for Apple Pay.

You could buy one and you have an extended return period to try it.

Pretty much the exact same as me.

I was sceptical at first because I’ve always got my phone with me but once I started wearing it for running and got use to it it’s a daily essential now for me.

Caporegime
No for me, unless you are using apple fitness. Otherwise you can get call alerts and message alerts just as well with a garmin and its far more durable, better battery by miles and lasts forever. It's not as disposable a tech product.

What do you want it to do?

Soldato
OP
No for me, unless you are using apple fitness. Otherwise you can get call alerts and message alerts just as well with a garmin and its far more durable, better battery by miles and lasts forever. It's not as disposable a tech product.

What do you want it to do?

I'm not really sure TBH! My current watch doesn't really have much functionality

Mainly for notifications from apps I guess for the convenience to avoid having to check my phone for call notitications, messages, calendar appointments, etc. Controlling Music Playback for my airpods.

Last edited:
Associate
I think the Fitbits I had were better for the health tracking stuff. Mind you I'm not a runner or anything. However I wouldn't go back now, the other "smart" features make up for Apple's deficiencies in this area IMHO.

Soldato
I’m still using an Apple Watch 2 mainly for receiving phone notifications. Don’t really use it for much else so if I ever move on from it, I’ll likely just get some cheap smart strap widget. Whether you’ll use an Apple Watch depends entirely on how you use such a thing - fitness is the main function. Take that away and there’s no really that much left

Associate
I had the SE (2nd edition), loved it but the battery was lacking for the amount I used it (2 hours of workouts tracking per day + notifications), the issue was I wanted sleep tracking, this was possible but I'd wake up on 20% battery(ish) and needing to charge it before working out.. (which took ages due to lack of fast charge!).

Upgraded to the Ultra and haven't looked back. To be honest though, I think if the SE had fast charge the battery wouldn't be an issue at all.. So maybe the S9 would be a good choice (has fast charge).

WatchOS is just amazing though.. Basically like having an iPhone on your wrist.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Honestly, it’s not really essential.

I like it as a fashion accessory (gold watch and strap for the ultra bling look) and it’s handy for vibrating when I get a call, but otherwise absolutely all notifications are off. It’s just annoying otherwise.

Apple Pay is good, particularly for the tube as you can set it up so you don’t even need to press a button, but that’s about the only time I bother with it.

Find your phone is quite useful to if you are a clumsy oaf like me.

Just buy it for the size of your wrist for goodness sake, most people have sizes that are way too big and they look awful :o

Unless you have tree trunk wrists go for a smaller one.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I absolutely don't see the point in any smart watch apart from fitness, health related stuff.

Having my wrist and my phone notifying me is the worst, all that gets turned off. If I'm in a situation that I can't look at my phone, I probably shouldn't be looking at another device.

Saying that if my smart watch broke, I'd buy another in an instant. But for sleep, health, fitness metrics it makes my life so much easier.

Man of Honour
I have to bite my tongue when I see pictures of skinny wrists with the Ultra strapped on. It looks utterly terrible, the person would be far better off with the small standard watch.

Yep know exactly what you mean. Here’s my watch on my wrist which I think is pretty spot on in terms of size.

VCx1Oy8.jpg

Here is the first photo I’ve found online re: is this too big:

S3IFT6h.jpg

His wrists still look pretty hench compared to my slinky appendages but yeah that’s like a retro sci-fi, at worst almost ‘fisher price my first watch’ look IMO :o

^ that is the absolute max, but personally I’d say too big.

Edit: and here’s one that is deffo too big!

W5drlkr.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Personally If I were to buy one it would be the smaller size of the SE 2 as I’m not a fan of larger watches.

Don’t understand the appeal of supersized watches like the ultra!

If anything I’d say Apple should focus on making a smaller more compact higher end watch with the features of the regular one and charge more for that!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom