Is it worth Buying an Apple Watch?

Commissario
Don’t understand the appeal of supersized watches like the ultra!
Because for some people, it's the right size.

tmQsNy2.jpeg

Soldato
Yes and no.

I've owned Apple Watches since Gen2 and my opinion has always been the same. I don't go a day without wearing mine and I love how handy it is for every day things it's still a watch. When I got mine I thought it would be a new device to play with but ultimately it is just a watch that does a few tricks.

I love mine and if it broke tomorrow and I'd another immediately (gotta keep this 1000+ day streak going) but I've always found it hard to advertise it.

Caporegime
I have to bite my tongue when I see pictures of skinny wrists with the Ultra strapped on. It looks utterly terrible, the person would be far better off with the small standard watch.
That is how I feel when ever anyone says “sleep tracking”.

But you are right the ultra only looks ok on some people, on me and most others I see it’s a Vtech watch. Ultra 2 now in pink For those tiny wrists :(

IMG-1952.jpg

Soldato
I had the SE (2nd edition), loved it but the battery was lacking for the amount I used it (2 hours of workouts tracking per day + notifications), the issue was I wanted sleep tracking, this was possible but I'd wake up on 20% battery(ish) and needing to charge it before working out.. (which took ages due to lack of fast charge!).

Upgraded to the Ultra and haven't looked back. To be honest though, I think if the SE had fast charge the battery wouldn't be an issue at all.. So maybe the S9 would be a good choice (has fast charge).

WatchOS is just amazing though.. Basically like having an iPhone on your wrist.

I have a 3 and a 5, I kept the 3 when I upgraded and now am never not wearing one, 5 gets worn from 10pm to 8pm and then goes on charge and the 3 pulls cover duty. Main reason I originally got one was because I dont like having sound on my phone and could never feel the vibrations on notifications, so I got the watch so it could vibrate on calls and messages so i stopped missing them.

Because for some people, it's the right size.

tmQsNy2.jpeg
I spooked myself as I couldn't work out how you posted a picture of the time being after the post time, until I realised I was being stupid and had the way time works backwards

Soldato
Yeah, I would replace mine straight away (well I’d have to wait a few days to get it with a 17% discount) as well, but luckily I have the second one to tide me over.

One thing I do need to do though is get my watch winder out and make a decision on what to do with my mechanical watches that I haven’t worn in getting on for probably 5 years.

Last edited:
Associate
I have to bite my tongue when I see pictures of skinny wrists with the Ultra strapped on. It looks utterly terrible, the person would be far better off with the small standard watch.
If battery is a main requirement (which I suspect it is if said person has bought it) then the Ultra is the only option.

Associate
I bought a second hand one and I really like it. I have had other smart watches but given that my phone is an iphone this just works so much more nicely. Notifications a really and and the exercise tracking. All stuff other devices do though. I dont think its something many folk actually NEED but once you have it you get used to having it. Hardly a robust business case! I dont even scratch the surface of what the watch can do though.

Soldato
Love mine, bought both me and my wife one while we were in the US and wear them daily now. Albeit we've switched straps several times for comfort reasons.

Most useful features i've found are,
  • Vibrating when incoming call (especially if i have my phone on silent)
  • Payment access
  • customisable screens
  • Good access to third party apps
  • I use mine to control my car like pre conditioning and lock/unlock features.
  • Health tracking etc are cool but not essential.

Soldato
I can take it or leave if I'm being honest. I used the fitness features on it during lockdown but, as with most other fads, exercising soon took a back seat once "normality" was restored. I also found it very useful for notifications while in the car - I could at least look at my watch and see if it was actually an important message/email or just a Twitter (X) notification.

However, as I mentioned over on the iPhone 15 thread, since I got my 15PM I have found the AOD has pretty much replaced the watch where notifications are concerned. I still use the watch if I'm out and prefer to leave my phone in my pocket (say on a night out for example).

In short, I'm using mine less and less although I'm not quite ready to give it up entirely just yet.

Associate
Just want to get the thoughts from owners as to whether they feel the Apple watch is worth having? I have an iPhone and and Macbook though always wondered if the watch was just another gadget I didn't really need as I ended up feeling that way about my iPad and sold it. I have an old cheapo smart Band which I regularly wear daily but have never tried an Apple Watch.

Debating whether to buy myself one (Apple Watch SE) as an Xmas present? Is it worth it?

Not for fashion for sure, they look very Fisher-Price.

Associate
I have had a gen 3 Apple Watch since they launched & doubt I would ever upgrade it. At first I used to wear it all the time, but the novelty wore off after a while & tend to now just wear one of my mechanical watch's instead. Wife wears hers all the time though but wasted as she never tends to read texts or anything when sent!!! :D

Soldato
The days I forget to wear my Watch I don't really miss it all that much. I find it useful but inessential. Personally, if mine broke I probably wouldn't buy a new one.

Regarding the SE, I personally went for the Series 8 (about a year ago) because I thought the idea of having to interact with the watch just to see the time sounded like a pain in the bum.

Soldato
The days I forget to wear my Watch I don't really miss it all that much. I find it useful but inessential. Personally, if mine broke I probably wouldn't buy a new one.
Same - the battery on my Series 5 is really starting to degrade and when it does finally pack in I highly doubt I'll buy a replacement watch. I was never a heavy user anyway, I really just used mine for checking the time (imagine! :cry: ) and for a heads up of my notifications. So I recently turned off most of the smart features and limited the number of on screen widgets to avoid unnecessary background refreshes and, while it made a considerable difference (around 20-25% extra I reckon), I still only get about 12 hours out of mine.
I had actually forgotten about this thread, but as I mentioned previously, I have been using mine less and less since I got the 15PM with AOD and even more recently I don't think the watch has left my desk drawer in a couple of weeks now.

Man of Honour
My phone lives in my pocket, and I use iMessage/WhatsApp etc on my Mac when working. Most of work systems are protected by 2FA and it's so easy just to tap on my watch when prompted, rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket all the time.

Soldato
Now Timpson are charging ~£80 for a battery replacement of a £100 Seiko, the Apple Watch is seeming like better and better value.

Associate
My phone lives in my pocket, and I use iMessage/WhatsApp etc on my Mac when working. Most of work systems are protected by 2FA and it's so easy just to tap on my watch when prompted, rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket all the time.
Totally agree couldn't be without my Apple Watch (treated myself to the Ultra 2 recently and it's been superb).

Back
Top Bottom