Is Mint still the best user-friendly desktop?

Soldato
That's beutiful, what version of Linux is that? :)
Also is pretty much all Linux versions spyware/telemetry free or do some distros sneak some in?
I no longer have a gaming system so immediately getting away from window's and installing Linux on my Nuc, but don't know what version of Linux to go with yet, I have had a play with Linux mint and lubuntu and liked both :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I use Kubuntu as my home laptop OS. I personally prefer KDE's Plasma UI to Gnome, and Ubuntu has the benefit of allowingnme to install proprietary IBM ThinkPad drivers, which I think really do help the computer.

The only snap that I run is Firefox, as I believe that that's the official distribution mechanism supported by Mozilla (on Ubuntu) now.

Associate
I recently tried Ubuntu for a few weeks on a cheapo Lenovo laptop with an athlon silver chip and found it ran quite a bit slower than windows 11 sadly

Soldato
I've had to (again) admit defeat with linux. Lost count now lol

That said, I've got ubuntu server minimal running on a beelink mini pc for pi-hole and plex, and that's awesome

Does mint support 150% dpi scaling? and does it work properly? Trying so hard to leave windows

Last edited:
Soldato
I like Ubuntu as a server but can't stand Ubuntu's standard DE nor the (aparently closed source) snap implementation and I don't have to deal with it in Linux Mint as it's removed by default, though you can reinstall it if you want. Contrary to that I really like the Cinnamon DE and monthly updates from Clem that are very open and honest. Just my personal opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree :).

Associate
I like Ubuntu as a server but can't stand Ubuntu's standard DE nor the (aparently closed source) snap implementation and I don't have to deal with it in Linux Mint as it's removed by default, though you can reinstall it if you want. Contrary to that I really like the Cinnamon DE and monthly updates from Clem that are very open and honest. Just my personal opinion and I don't expect everyone to agree :).
I mostly use Ubuntu via WSL on windows, but for a Laptop, Mint wasn't useable as a daily vs Ubuntu. It would be a strange world if we did all agree!

Soldato
Just installed latest cinnamon. Like ubuntu, doesn't work with fractional scaling.
Tried on two different laptops and a VM. Just has a meltdown, looks weird, then crashes.

That's me done with linux desktop another year (stick to cli linux, it's what you're good at).

Associate
If fractional scaling is important to you then a KDE desktop environment is the best bet currently. Scaling is available between 100% and 300% in 6.25% increments.

Screenshot_20230210_224104.jpg

Associate
Is there a reason to prefer fractional scaling over adjusting the display dpi setting? I use either xrandr or modify my xserver config for that; never bothered to touch the scaling setting.

Associate
There are a lot of user-friendly distros. Mint is what my dad uses, but his needs are nothing more than web browsing for the most part. I think the most important thing about a distro being user-friendly has little to do with the actual distro itself. The community and how easy it is to search up common issues a person might find are just as important.

Associate
If you like Mint and its Cinnamon desktop but are looking for a fresher underlying distro then Fedora has a Cinnamon spin i.e. a version of Fedora with Cinnamon as the desktop environment. There is also a KDE plasma spin and KDE is a Windows-like desktop that is very customizable and has some Windows style themes

Soldato
OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is by far my favourite distro for ease of use and for performing more complex tasks. It has all the advantages of Arch Linux with pretty much no downsides.

Soldato
My go to is Pop!_OS and I'm looking forward to the new DE, I'm actually using the beta of Deepin 23 at the moment, it has a few bugs but certainly looks pretty if nothing else

fUyzHiY.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom