Knife Thread

Associate
Can anyone recommend a good cleaver? Looking for something a bit showy but usable for relatively heavy tasks, budget up to 150

Meat cleavers generally aren't very showy, they're usually made from a softer (and cheaper) steel so they don't chip/break when cutting through bone. They're very much function over form.

Global make one, I don't really like their knives but it's probably the most showy one I can think of.

I would consider talking to a local knife maker and seeing if they'll do one custom for you, or even just a rehandle on a Wustof/Victorinox or something.

Soldato
Jjust thinking about sharpening. I have a sharpening stone (I think is 120/240) for chisels and I've used 600 and 1200 paper but I should get something to sharpen the new knives (carbon steel) and older store-bought knives (mostly stainless /cromoly). I have a pull through sharpener but given I made the knives I'd like to give them a little more respect.
I was thinking a 800/1200 reversible stone but I see some people use 3000 through to 10000.

Soldato
Jjust thinking about sharpening. I have a sharpening stone (I think is 120/240) for chisels and I've used 600 and 1200 paper but I should get something to sharpen the new knives (carbon steel) and older store-bought knives (mostly stainless /cromoly). I have a pull through sharpener but given I made the knives I'd like to give them a little more respect.
I was thinking a 800/1200 reversible stone but I see some people use 3000 through to 10000.

Yea don't use that stuff you'll destroy your knives.

I wouldn't use less then 1000 unless it's some really old/battered knife, even then.

I would recommend you have 2 whetstones, going from 1000 up to 6000 maybe 8000 depending on what you can get.

It's worth having 2 because ever now and then you use them on each other to make sure the surface is dead flat.

Last time I sharpened my Japanese knife I only used 6000 and only lightly, and it's all it needed was razor sharp again.

Good knives don't need lots of material taken off.

Also get a leather strop and use that regularly as it'll keep the knives sharper for longer.

Soldato

800/1200 is no good, the grits are too close together.

if you want a cheap dual stone then get a King 1000 / 6000 with a stand.

or expensive get separate stones, naniwa professional 1000 and a 3000

Associate
Associate
I was thinking most of the money was going on the set of knives with the included sharpener being a (potential) bonus. Buying it all for just for the sharpener would seem a bit mad.

Pretty sure they mean the knives will be a POS too.

£120 will get you a good chefs knife, a petty knife, a stone and a steel. You don't really need anything else unless you're filleting loads of fish or breaking down whole animals larger than a goat :p

They will be much better quality and the steel/stone can be used on any knife.

There's a really detailed video for the Ninja stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi69N2bvAwE

If you can't be bothered watching it's basically knives turn up pretty sharp with some imperfections, they dull very easily (soft steel), the sharpener kinda works to hone the knives, but it doesn't put a new edge on them like a stone would. Once the edge was ruined it did nothing to improve them.

Associate
Pretty sure they mean the knives will be a POS too.

£120 will get you a good chefs knife, a petty knife, a stone and a steel. You don't really need anything else unless you're filleting loads of fish or breaking down whole animals larger than a goat :p

They will be much better quality and the steel/stone can be used on any knife.

There's a really detailed video for the Ninja stuff here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi69N2bvAwE

If you can't be bothered watching it's basically knives turn up pretty sharp with some imperfections, they dull very easily (soft steel), the sharpener kinda works to hone the knives, but it doesn't put a new edge on them like a stone would. Once the edge was ruined it did nothing to improve them.
I agree with this, buy a couple of quality steel knives a stone and steel, the ninja stuff with be made from premium grade chinese tin cans.

Soldato
I forget we had a knife thread.
One I bought a short while ago..

tVDnZXl.jpg

*puts on flame suit

Associate
Meat cleavers generally aren't very showy, they're usually made from a softer (and cheaper) steel so they don't chip/break when cutting through bone. They're very much function over form.

Global make one, I don't really like their knives but it's probably the most showy one I can think of.

I would consider talking to a local knife maker and seeing if they'll do one custom for you, or even just a rehandle on a Wustof/Victorinox or something.
Good call regarding rehandling. Worth exploring. May even opt to make my own handle as enjoy a bit if wood craft. What im after in the blade is something with hammered or folded finish or similar which could be used for fine slicing but unlikely to break on chicken bones etc. Just like the idea of processing veg and then being able to use the knife as a scoop. Not looking to go through beef shins

Associate
I bought this cleaver a few months ago and have been pleased with the results. I wanted a heavy blade (this one is 650grams) because without the weight it just won't work well. A light blade just bounces off if you want to part joints - doesn't matter so much how sharp it is because it's intertia that counts. Nevertheless it holds an edge fairly well and the simple shape is easy to sharpen.

Associate
Good call regarding rehandling. Worth exploring. May even opt to make my own handle as enjoy a bit if wood craft. What im after in the blade is something with hammered or folded finish or similar which could be used for fine slicing but unlikely to break on chicken bones etc. Just like the idea of processing veg and then being able to use the knife as a scoop. Not looking to go through beef shins

Sounds like you want a Chinese cleaver or a Nakiri.

Soldato
Don't use a Nikiri knife as a cleaver, you'll ruin it.

As posted above cleavers are softer metal, intentionally.

They are designed to be like that, the idea you sharpen them a bit more regularly if you want but won't get destroyed going through bone.

A Nikiri is a much harder metal, it'll stay sharper for much longer, and it great for doing veg, but if you try to go through bone or similar it'll destroy it.

You can, and I did for a long time to be fair, use a cleaver for also doing veg, it works perfectly fine.

Soldato
I'm looking for a nice quality 6"-8" chef knife, any recommendations?

Budget around 200 Euros and I don't like modern looking stuff like Global.

Cheers!
That sounds like a healthy budget - much more than I have ever spent on a knife. If I was going to treat myself l would probably be looking at something along the lines of the Wüsthof Classic 8 Inch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom