Knife Thread

Associate
I'm looking for a nice quality 6"-8" chef knife, any recommendations?

Budget around 200 Euros and I don't like modern looking stuff like Global.

Cheers!

Best knife in the £100-£200 price range imo, they do a Damascus version for £150-160 ish if you want it to look a bit prettier.

Associate
Can't go wrong with a Wusthof, assuming that doesn't count as "modern looking stuff" :)

I have a couple of nice Japanese knives which cost more, but if I could only keep one knife it'd be the Wusthof Classic for its general all-rounder qualities and the fact it takes a little less looking after.

I'd go for the half-bolster version rather than the full bolster though, because it can be a pain to sharpen the full-bolster knives, and over time you can find that you end up with a small gap between blade and cutting board at the base of the knife.

Alternatively, if you did fancy a Japanese knife, Cutting Edge Knives have a wide range, with many that are well within your budget. Probably a Santoku or Gyuto, that's pretty much down to your personal preference.

Associate
Flint and Flame are my go to. Pricy but very good quality. If you find them at Christmas markets then they are usually well discounted and you can sign up for the VIP club (lol) for further discounts.

Associate
Flint and Flame are my go to. Pricy but very good quality. If you find them at Christmas markets then they are usually well discounted and you can sign up for the VIP club (lol) for further discounts.

Flint and Flame are not very good knives, they're fine but way overpriced. A chef I work with was gifted a whole set and never uses them. X50 steel is no better than you'll find in a basic Victorinox, heavy handles and not very well balanced.

If they were £20-£30 each? Then no problem, but for what they charge you can get so much better.

Soldato
I have tried many knives and the one i always use now is a Masahiro MSC branded knife that i imported from Japan.
Im not sure you can get them in the UK, maybe a specialty shop.

Anyway I love it, the steel is stainless MBS-26. The blade is quite thin so it has just a little flex but it is just so easy to put an extremely sharp edge on it and it holds it well.

It is a fantastic slicer and in use it is a joy to use in my opinion.

Cost was about £60 - £65 for an 8" model but it was a fair few years since i imported it so i expect they do cost more now.

Man of Honour
Cheers - after much deliberation and looking at many options including the above, I've ordered one of these:

Arrived. It's a tiny bit blingier than expected but very happy with it. Lovely weight in the hand too.

1698142539866.jpg

1698142392523.jpg

Caporegime
I got mine from https://www.musashihamono.com/

The exchange rate is EXCELLENT right now and you can get a bargain. A 20,000 yen knife is like £120, which generally would sell for £200 in a UK store here. IMO this store has much nicer knifes than most UK online stores too.

Do keep in mine above certain threshold will risk import tax, not sure the amount in Austria.

I want to get/try a single bevel knife next, would make slicing more consistent i think? And sharper too as the angle is so much smaller, half as much.

Last edited:

img

img

Associate
Those are some nice looking knives. Do they do a discount if you put in your email?
I like my couple of io shen but would like something like their santoku

Man of Honour
Happy with these three for now. The Nakiri is GREAT for chopping veg, I use it a lot.

IMG-20231123-164656.jpg

I've no idea how, but my wife has cut herself with the petty knife three times in a week. Her mother came to stay for a week and used it multiple times daily with no problems, and I've come nowhere near cutting myself so I think it's a skill gap!

Soldato
Happy with these three for now. The Nakiri is GREAT for chopping veg, I use it a lot.

IMG-20231123-164656.jpg

I've no idea how, but my wife has cut herself with the petty knife three times in a week. Her mother came to stay for a week and used it multiple times daily with no problems, and I've come nowhere near cutting myself so I think it's a skill gap!

She should really be used to handling a small one by now.

Soldato

do they have the stability for cutting something like horizontal cut when dicing onions/mirepoix versus a more bolstered handle ...
I mean the orientals don't prepare veg the same way ?

e: guy/chef? slicing an onion oriental way ? https://youtu.be/VqLs6quVAkc

Last edited:
Associate
I've started looking a lot more recently and have found the need for some new knives, only ever used a set from Tesco which are rubbish. What would you say is the minimum you can spend to get a good knife?

Soldato
I've started looking a lot more recently and have found the need for some new knives, only ever used a set from Tesco which are rubbish. What would you say is the minimum you can spend to get a good knife?
Something like this is a good place to start.

Good quality, no frills.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom