LG 27GR95QE (worlds first OLED 240hz 2560x1440p) launches 28 December

Associate
Monitor sounds interesting but concerns about feedback for work use (word Excel etc). Is that a general Oled tech monitor thing or this model?

Soldato
Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on the 27" as it's currently down in price? What you folks think... quality bit of kit for gaming or hold off?

Soldato
Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on the 27" as it's currently down in price? What you folks think... quality bit of kit for gaming or hold off?
Its the best monitor I have used for gaming and media but like any OLED its not a good choice for reading and work productivity. Its very much a gaming monitor rather then a screen for writing and reading documents.

I was not to keen on the default settings. Have settled on Black Stabilizer 60, Gamer 1 mode, Brightness 100, Contrast 70, Sharpness 50.

Soldato
Its the best monitor I have used for gaming and media but like any OLED its not a good choice for reading and work productivity. Its very much a gaming monitor rather then a screen for writing and reading documents.

I was not to keen on the default settings. Have settled on Black Stabilizer 60, Gamer 1 mode, Brightness 100, Contrast 70, Sharpness 50.

Me personally don't use for documents reading that much but I find web browsing perfectly fine and your settings are the same as mine apart from the brightness which I have set at 80 as 100 is far to bright in my room.

Soldato
What's your thought's on the screen coating? Does it impact the display colours etc in anyway?
Yes the coating does impact display colours but no worse then other matte screens. All matte screens impact the colour to some level. Matte v glossy is a personal thing. I prefer matte and hate glossy screens so for me this screen is near perfect. The biggest problem is the change in brightness based on content. 97% of the time its not a problem but I still notice it at times.

That and HDR is terrible but that's a problem with windows not the screen. HDR is stunning on this screen when it works correctly. Just good luck getting HDR games in windows to work correctly.

Soldato
Yes the coating does impact display colours but no worse then other matte screens. All matte screens impact the colour to some level. Matte v glossy is a personal thing. I prefer matte and hate glossy screens so for me this screen is near perfect. The biggest problem is the change in brightness based on content. 97% of the time its not a problem but I still notice it at times.

That and HDR is terrible but that's a problem with windows not the screen. HDR is stunning on this screen when it works correctly. Just good luck getting HDR games in windows to work correctly.

Can't the varying brightness be stopped within settings? I thought it could be by turning off a setting called Smart Energy Saving, stops dynamic brightness adjust apparently. Or are you talking about something else?

Also do you notice VRR flicker with the screen?

Soldato
Can't the varying brightness be stopped within settings? I thought it could be by turning off a setting called Smart Energy Saving, stops dynamic brightness adjust apparently. Or are you talking about something else?

Also do you notice VRR flicker with the screen?
We can turn off the varying brightness caused by Smart Energy Saving. But we cannot turn off the OLED varying brightness caused by the amount of white on the screen. If you open up a solid white window full screen there is a noticeable drop in brightness compared to a 25% solid white window. I very rarely notice it in games but do notice it a lot more on the desktop when opening up a white document or browsing window.

VRR Flicker changes game to game. It seems worse on loading screens rather then in game. I play a lot of Stellaris and I don't notice flicker in game. For Stellaris flicker is worse on the main menu and on the loading screens. Other games like Division 2, Star Trek Online, The Ascent, Tropico 6, Factorio all have zero flicker for me.

Associate
Anyone with this monitor got pictures of what the problem with text clarity actually looks like? Searched online a lot and just looks like there’s two different opinions, it’s either totally awful for productivity or “it’s totally fine”. Is the verdict that this monitor is only useable for gaming and not productivity true or is it being overblown in usual internet fashion?

Soldato
Anyone with this monitor got pictures of what the problem with text clarity actually looks like? Searched online a lot and just looks like there’s two different opinions, it’s either totally awful for productivity or “it’s totally fine”. Is the verdict that this monitor is only useable for gaming and not productivity true or is it being overblown in usual internet fashion?

Can't comment on this monitor but I bought the AW3432DWF and I find the text is terrible. Like you I found people in both camps when it came to text clarity and took a gamble as I thought people on the forums were just getting carried away or being overly anal. It actually irrates my eyes and I have tried playing with every setting but can't get it right.

I spend a lot of time doing work on this monitor which is why I don't think it will work, if you spend most of your time playing games of watching videos then you'll be fine.

Soldato
So i use both my LG 27s for average of 13 hours a day with 10 hours being working in terminals, web browsing etc & the other gaming & not had any issues with text, when i first got it i thought ext was blury but went through cleartype & its very acceptable nothing to complian about

Though to be fair 9 hours of my day is in OSX

only issue i have is Fan noise us a bit high pitched, but i have super senstive ears. (500RPM 120mm noctua are loud to me) BUt i adjusted the fan in lg Special memu from 40% to 30% and its now fine

Associate
Decided to grab this monitor over BF, with the intention of returning it if it wasn't going to suit my productivity work. It arrived today and so far I'm really happy with it, I'm struggling to see a problem with the text. I'm not seeing any colour fringing at all, even if I put my eyes centimeters away from the screen. Maybe the text is ever so slightly blurry but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm looking for it. I don't think it's going to be a problem but time will tell...

Only (minor) irritation so far is that the USB ports only seem to provide power if they're connected to a running PC with the supplied USB-B cable. I even tried plugging the USB-B cable into a USB adapter but that didn't work. My previous monitor supplied USB power to the ports all the time. Not a big deal, I've plugged them in somewhere else, just makes my cable management (even) more messy. Oh and I hate where they've put the 3.5mm headphone jack, yes it makes it easy to access but it's a proper eye sore if you need to use it.

Edit: Oh and I the other thing reviewers had me worried about was the coating, I think it's been blown way out of proportion... it's a very mild coating and I have to look very closely at it (with it turned off) to see any difference against my LG CX55 OLED TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
Decided to grab this monitor over BF, with the intention of returning it if it wasn't going to suit my productivity work. It arrived today and so far I'm really happy with it, I'm struggling to see a problem with the text. I'm not seeing any colour fringing at all, even if I put my eyes centimeters away from the screen. Maybe the text is ever so slightly blurry but I'm not sure if that's just because I'm looking for it. I don't think it's going to be a problem but time will tell...

Only (minor) irritation so far is that the USB ports only seem to provide power if they're connected to a running PC with the supplied USB-B cable. I even tried plugging the USB-B cable into a USB adapter but that didn't work. My previous monitor supplied USB power to the ports all the time. Not a big deal, I've plugged them in somewhere else, just makes my cable management (even) more messy. Oh and I hate where they've put the 3.5mm headphone jack, yes it makes it easy to access but it's a proper eye sore if you need to use it.

Edit: Oh and I the other thing reviewers had me worried about was the coating, I think it's been blown way out of proportion... it's a very mild coating and I have to look very closely at it (with it turned off) to see any difference against my LG CX55 OLED TV.

From my understanding is you don't really get colour fringing with WOLED panels, thats with QD OLED. But the text is more blurry that IPS and VA etc. I'd been on the fence about this monitor now for the last month or so and reading your post tempts me even more. Only thing really stopping me now is the potential QD OLED 2 panels from Dell in January and not really knowing where we stand on warranty with LG regarding burn in.

Have you noticed any VRR flicker?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm 99% a FPS kinda guy so this might be for me!
I almost picked this one up for BF but we're getting 27" 1440p 360Hz OLEDs next year, as well as 32" 4K 240Hz ones (I think they're all QD-OLED).

I have a 27" 1440p 165Hz IPS so figured I'd rather go for a more substantial refresh rate bump or at least a resolution bump.

Associate
Yes I was going to wait until the new 27” QD-OLED panel comes out but I wanted to free up my IPS monitor before Xmas as Santa is bringing my son a gaming/desk setup and it means he will be able to use a monitor instead of a laptop screen. It helped justify the purchase with top tier man maths, haha. Also from reading about QD-OLED panels they appear to suffer with the same problems with text clarity, perhaps even worse? And then there’s the price tag, I’ve read it’s likely the new panels are going to be approx double what I paid for the LG.

I have no doubt the text is less clear than IPS as there’s clearly quite a few people that think it’s a problem. However, it’s just not obvious to me. I was expecting it to be noticeably bad and I don’t think it is. Maybe slightly out of focus is how I’d describe it but it’s subtle imo. I pretty much spend 8-9 hours a day reading and writing text, so I’ll find out pretty quickly if it’s an issue.

Managed to get quite a few hours gaming in last night and it’s so good to be able to have the benefits of OLED without having to game on the TV. Assuming I don’t get cracking headaches from the text it’s a trade off I think I’ll be sticking with.

Edit: Not had any issues with flicker, I played with g-sync on for a bit and then decided to turn it off so I could get all 240hz :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes I was going to wait until the new 27” QD-OLED panel comes out but I wanted to free up my IPS monitor before Xmas as Santa is bringing my son a gaming/desk setup and it means he will be able to use a monitor instead of a laptop screen. It helped justify the purchase with top tier man maths, haha. Also from reading about QD-OLED panels they appear to suffer with the same problems with text clarity, perhaps even worse? And then there’s the price tag, I’ve read it’s likely the new panels are going to be approx double what I paid for the LG.

I have no doubt the text is less clear than IPS as there’s clearly quite a few people that think it’s a problem. However, it’s just not obvious to me. I was expecting it to be noticeably bad and I don’t think it is. Maybe slightly out of focus is how I’d describe it but it’s subtle imo. I pretty much spend 8-9 hours a day reading and writing text, so I’ll find out pretty quickly if it’s an issue.

Managed to get quite a few hours gaming in last night and it’s so good to be able to have the benefits of OLED without having to game on the TV. Assuming I don’t get cracking headaches from the text it’s a trade off I think I’ll be sticking with.

Edit: Not had any issues with flicker, I played with g-sync on for a bit and then decided to turn it off so I could get all 240hz :)
This is really good to hear - definitely helps me more seriously consider the monitor. Do you spend much time in Excel? I've read that it can be a struggle to be in Excel on this monitor and I spend around 40% of my working day in it...

Edit: also love the man maths, excited for my daughter to be old enough that I can justify to my wife giving her an old PC to make room for an upgrade for myself!

Last edited:
Associate
This is really good to hear - definitely helps me more seriously consider the monitor. Do you spend much time in Excel? I've read that it can be a struggle to be in Excel on this monitor and I spend around 40% of my working day in it...

Edit: also love the man maths, excited for my daughter to be old enough that I can justify to my wife giving her an old PC to make room for an upgrade for myself!

My boy has only recently turned six, but start them young and all that :D Although it is mainly because we have literally no idea what else to get him! I don’t use spreadsheets as much as Word, maybe 90/10 split between word and excel.

I’ve got a big spreadsheet open now and I’m not seeing a noticeable difference between excel and word. In windows display settings I’ve got it set at 1440p and 100% scaling. I’d say at 100% zoom in excel with the text being smaller it’s more noticeable but I wouldn’t normally work like that, at 130% zoom in excel it’s not bothering me.

It’s one of those things, yes it’s not as crisp but if I hadn’t read about it online I’m not sure I would have even noticed. It’s more than readable and if it’s not going to give me headaches or similar, I’m not sure I really care that it looks slightly out of focus. If excellent text clarity is important then it’s definitely not going to be the right monitor. I’m not sure there’s anything on the market right now that’s better for gaming though, and having had my OLED TV for a couple of years, it’s hard to look past how bad none-OLED panels are in terms of blacks. Once you’ve experienced what black is actually supposed to look like on a screen, it’s hard to go back. It’s definitely a trade off and the ideal solution would obviously be to have separate screens for productivity/gaming but I don’t have the desk space for it at home.

I ordered mine from somewhere with hassle free returns in case it didn’t work out. The fact I’m struggling to even determine whether it’s a problem means I’m highly unlikely to return it, though for some people it might be a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom