Lian Li O11 EVO

Associate
Hi :)
I see a lot of people install 3*120 bottom fan like this :

Ventilateur-LIAN-LI-UNI-SL120-Kit-de-ventilateur-rvb-modulaire-bo-tier-PC-c-ble-12cm.jpg

( not my setup )
Fresh air come by bottom, but my question is : It's really efficient with the Graphic Card just above ?
Graphic card exhaust air bottom direction, and fan exhaust in Graphic card direction.....
And everyone does that...

Associate
Hi :)
I see a lot of people install 3*120 bottom fan like this :

Ventilateur-LIAN-LI-UNI-SL120-Kit-de-ventilateur-rvb-modulaire-bo-tier-PC-c-ble-12cm.jpg

( not my setup )
Fresh air come by bottom, but my question is : It's really efficient with the Graphic Card just above ?
Graphic card exhaust air bottom direction, and fan exhaust in Graphic card direction.....
And everyone does that...
GPU exhaust sideways and up (if they have the cutout on the backplate). Fresh air from bottom feed the GPU’s fans. Most of the time they won’t even need to turn on, and often will spin slower than they normally would because half of their work is being done by the bottom fans.
Also, for O11 and any variant, bottom and side fans intake, top and rear exhaust.
AIO at the top, still exhaust and on do side, intake. Please, don’t use top as intake.
For aircooled, the same, but top must spin at much lower rpm, to only exhaust residual heat, but avoid exhausting cool air from side intake.
Note that, not only the GPU benefits from bottom intake. PCH and NVME will run at much lower temperature too.

Last edited:
Associate
I never use top as intake ^^
Picture is not my setup ( It was just for example )
But thanks, I m idiot, in my mind, fans of GPU was exhaust, but not, it's intake. I understand now :)
Thanks you man :)

Associate
I never use top as intake ^^
Picture is not my setup ( It was just for example )
But thanks, I m idiot, in my mind, fans of GPU was exhaust, but not, it's intake. I understand now :)
Thanks you man :)
Sorry, wasn’t aiming at you. Bottom intake here at 600ish rpm creates enough airflow, GPU cooler and fans up to 400rpm less compared to without bottom intake.
Airflow should follow a path.
Cases with bottom intake usually perform better for GPU than standard cases. Get for example the 5000d airflow. Bottom fans would act as if the GPU fans are on.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey all. Finally managed to get a B grade Arctic Aio to make this sweet build- recommend checking out the Deals and clearance section on the OCuk website. Some bargains there!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Did anyone bother to get the upright GPU kit in the end? Tempted but feels like it won't fit future GFX cards - would have bought it if the PCIe extension was dealt with better...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
For some previous gen 3000 series (Suprim 3080/90) was a close fit. Considering most 4000 series are thicker, wider and longer, I would suggest (as much as I avoid saying that) wait for the XL version.
Regarding the cable, some people managed to use a longer cable and running it as expected, down and from the back. Crossing a cable, since the IDE/ATA cables, no thank you.

Caporegime
For some previous gen 3000 series (Suprim 3080/90) was a close fit. Considering most 4000 series are thicker, wider and longer, I would suggest (as much as I avoid saying that) wait for the XL version.
Regarding the cable, some people managed to use a longer cable and running it as expected, down and from the back. Crossing a cable, since the IDE/ATA cables, no thank you.
Yeah I have a 3080FE, but I was completely let down by their solution - like the idea since it would reduce any airflow impedance and show off the hardware. XL is probably bigger than I want.

Think I will wait for those cool mobos where all the connectors are on the backside - would have been a massive help...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
Noob question about the amount of fans in these cases. How do you get, for example, 7 fans running ? I don't think my mobo has that many headers - do people use some kind of fan controller or am I missing something obvious ?

Soldato
Well every day's a school day. I had no idea you could daisy chain fans. Thanks.
It depends more on the fans.... in the case of the lian li and some others they do daisy chain but not all in the same way though, some have a split cable at the fan and short cables, others slot together like the lian li and upcoming phanteks.

Some brands will use also use a fan/rgb controller box, the lian li in the pictures are likely using a control box round the back, to simplify connections and rgb in most cases... some rgb fan software even requires you use their hubs

My noctua fans however work using a splitter cable/box (I've got 3 way cables and a deepcool fh04 hub which does the same thing) instead of daisy chaining, your motherboard will tell you how many fans you can run off a header (max load divided by each fan voltage draw) but you're usually fine for 3.

Associate
It depends more on the fans.... in the case of the lian li and some others they do daisy chain but not all in the same way though, some have a split cable at the fan and short cables, others slot together like the lian li and upcoming phanteks.

Some brands will use also use a fan/rgb controller box, the lian li in the pictures are likely using a control box round the back, to simplify connections and rgb in most cases... some rgb fan software even requires you use their hubs

My noctua fans however work using a splitter cable/box (I've got 3 way cables and a deepcool fh04 hub which does the same thing) instead of daisy chaining, your motherboard will tell you how many fans you can run off a header (max load divided by each fan voltage draw) but you're usually fine for 3.
The only thing to watch for is to avoid overloading the fan header. Most motherboards are 1A, some even 2A. But running 3 or 4 fans from same header is usually fine.
My advice, if the motherboard offers few FAN headers is to organize them in groups (all front, all top, all bottom, etc), as sometimes you don't want/need all fans to run at the same rpm, but that is only valid if you have enough FAN headers.

Associate
Turned out my fans couldn't be daisy chained (all Corsair fans from my old case, an iCue 100T), and I only had 4 spare fan headers on my board. Ripped the RGB hub out of the old case which gave me 6 RGB ports for the fans and bought a Corsair Commander hub that gave me an extra 6 fan connectors and RGB ports. So all in all I have 7 case fans and 2 on my AIO all running fine now. Thanks for the replies, was something I hadn't even thought about when I bought the case!

Associate
Most cases now, if populating all fan spots, you can end up with even more fans. Using splitter cables, if the fan can’t be daisy chained is the cheapest option. But to control fans independently, a controller is a must.
Particularly I really like the Aquacomputer Quadro or Octo. Takes a bit of time to understand how it works, but is amazing how much control the user can have over the whole system.
As you’re using Corsair, using their hub is convenient. At least you won’t need another software to control RGB.
But I understand the pain. Things are moving very fast now. Even for cases.

Back
Top Bottom