Lila Connect - VX Fibre 1gig - Stoke on Trent

Associate
My friend has just had a call from Lila to say that they are moving all customers away from static IPs (the select few that have them) and everybody will be on dynamic IPs, but with Open NAT.
Just had an email from them that says:

"I am contacting you today from Lila Connect 2nd Line Support, we are currently changing how we deliver static IP addresses to our customers, at this time, your IP is set to STATIC and your equipment points to that IP address.

The process change on our end will result in your equipment requiring a reconfigure, to acquire IP addresses via DHCP.

The DHCP address we assign acts as a Static IP however, unless a change is forced on our end, it will not change.

If the new IP is needed for any configuration of equipment, we can provide it for you. Any previous Subnet mask, Gateway or DNS information will no longer be needed as the new DHCP address obtains these details automatically.

Whilst there is no deadline for this process change, If there is a convenient time for this change to be implemented, please let me know and we can schedule this for you."

So my IP address will still be static (unless it needs to be changed), I'll just need to change the configuration on my router to DHCP from static.

Last edited:
Associate
Price increase incoming.
  • 250Mbps for £24.98 per month*
  • 500Mbps for £29.98 per month*
  • 1Gbps for £34.98 per month - Currently discounted to £29.98 for the first 3 months*
  • 1Gbps Gamer Package (includes Public IPv4 address) for £39.98*
*If you opted to pay the £650 up-front installation charge at the time you took your initial contract (or at any time since), the line costs of £9.99 per month will continue to be deducted from your monthly charge.

All on a 24 month contract. I'm currently paying £29.99 p/m with a static IP. So the cheapest way for me to keep the same service would to be renew at £39.99 for 24 month. 25% increase after 12 months isn't great.

Associate
Price increase incoming.

All on a 24 month contract. I'm currently paying £29.99 p/m with a static IP. So the cheapest way for me to keep the same service would to be renew at £39.99 for 24 month. 25% increase after 12 months isn't great.
No but the price for the speed is great. BT/Plus net/sky etc are around £30 for 72Mb and there are no mid-contract price Consumer Price Index increases with Lila. I've been lucky and had this for 3 years now and even if it was £50, I wouldn't consider any other provider. I did pay the £650 up front and just before Christmas, locked in the 2 year gaming package so I know it won't change for another 2 years.

Associate
No but the price for the speed is great. BT/Plus net/sky etc are around £30 for 72Mb and there are no mid-contract price Consumer Price Index increases with Lila. I've been lucky and had this for 3 years now and even if it was £50, I wouldn't consider any other provider. I did pay the £650 up front and just before Christmas, locked in the 2 year gaming package so I know it won't change for another 2 years.
£40 per month for gigabit symmetrical with a static ip is still excellent value for money in my opinion.
Completely agreed, I'd not think twice about paying up to £45 for symmetric gigabit
Hard to disagree. I wont be switching. Despite Virgin recently becoming available in my area - I think with their new XGS-PON tech (although I'm not sure if that is actually available in practice yet.) Lila have been rock solid for me, but I'm selfish and I want my price to stay the same forever, please and thankyou.

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone here moved house and moved over Lila? We are currently in the process of moving house (within the same street) and was wondering if there was a moving fee? Thought I would ask before I get in contact with them the move won’t be completed until the 1st of April

Associate
Its the 18month cancellation dance with virgin and i think i might actually jump ship this time. What hardware to lila actually install in the house?

i understand they will only install on the ground floor which is a bit of nuisance as i have my virgin coming into upstairs office with hub running in modem mode and pfsense router running up in the loft.

Associate
Its the 18month cancellation dance with virgin and i think i might actually jump ship this time. What hardware to lila actually install in the house?

i understand they will only install on the ground floor which is a bit of nuisance as i have my virgin coming into upstairs office with hub running in modem mode and pfsense router running up in the loft.
For the install, they install a box on the outside of the property and then a SDD (https://lilaconnect.co.uk/faq?id=faq16) inside the property. The SDD inside needs power while the box outside does not need power. I believe a standard install is on the ground floor where there are power sockets but they may be able to install elsewhere but you'll have to get in touch with them to check this first.

Once installed, you'll be able to plug whatever router you want into the SDD, unlike Virgin you won't need to put anything into modem mode. They do provide a router, Zyxel (https://lilaconnect.co.uk/images/router-guide.pdf) but I don't use it. It's an ok router for general use but your pfsense one will be much better.

Man of Honour

You needn't have waited, my mate didn't have to pay until his VM contract was up.

Soldato
I'm having Lila installed next week on the 1000/1000 package. Anything to be aware of in advance?

I do a lot of gaming, I know they offer a higher 'gaming' package that gives you a public IP to address any potential NAT issues... Is anyone gaming without issue on the standard 1000/1000 package?

Cheers

OcUK Staff
I was told we'd have an installation date in the first quarter of this year; the cable has been on our street for 2 years now, and still no sign of being connected. I'm based in Hanley that has only a copper line available, it would be nice to one day have fibre broadband.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I was told we'd have an installation date in the first quarter of this year; the cable has been on our street for 2 years now, and still no sign of being connected. I'm based in Hanley that has only a copper line available, it would be nice to one day have fibre broadband.

Mine was in for 18 months before it was connected last April.
It was especially painful when 15 months later my best mate rings me saying his street in Blurton is being cabled and 3 months later he's on one week before me :(

Soldato

About the same here. It's taken, I think, almost 2 years to get an installation date after they installed what they needed to install in the street etc. The 'estimated' date of the service going live was constantly delayed

OcUK Staff
I've just had an email, so I guess it's not anytime soon, I'm tempted to go with Starlink as I cannot bear paying £30+pm for a copper line:

Thank you for your email and your query.

Much as there are cables in place in the street outside your home, those need to be connected up to the rest of our network. The work to do this was originally estimated to be completed much closer to when you placed your order originally, however this work was not able to go ahead as we had originally planned due to circumstances outside of Lila Connect's control.

We have since been working to rearrange this piece of work, however it would be connecting up hundreds of properties in the area, so this is no small task. As soon as we have any information on when this work is expected to be completed, our system will notify you automatically via email.

If you have any other questions in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Man of Honour
Well I've had it just over a year and it's just gone off for the first time, hopefully back on in the morning.

Disruption across UKOngoing
2024-04-23 08:48 - Dear Customers,

We are aware of a network disruption in areas across the UK. This may cause some downtime for customers in this location. Areas such as London, Crewe, Leek, Bristol, Guildford and parts of Stoke-On-Trent are affected.

Last edited:
Associate
It went out for me last night at around 11pm for about 20 minutes. It had been fine all throughout the day but I had seen others mention it not working. Also, they now offer 2.5 gigabit connections to the home. Surely no one needs this?

Back
Top Bottom