Lit Fibre

Associate
How do you folks manage cutover? I haven't done it for ages --- I only had Virgin available. I am currently with EE. I can't really afford any downtime. Ideally I don't want to pay multiple providers for the same month too.

Is there a "current account switch guarantee" equivalent of internet?
I'm currently running my 'old' Giganet connection (Openreach) alongside my new Lit connection. Not that there's a real need for it, as the Lit connection is rock solid

Soldato
I recently switched FTTP providers as there was a saving to be made. Had my new service installed whilst still in contract with another provider. Couldn't cease my original FTTP service until 19/04/24 and my new FTTP service was installed 19/03/24.

So I've ended up paying for the whole of April on original FTTP service and from 19/03/24 to 30/04/24 on my new service. I'm not really bothered as the monthly savings will soon make up for that.

Soldato
No.

I had Lit overlapping with my BT FTTC for about two weeks. Either you cannot afford downtime or you cannot afford to pay for two services at the same time, you have to pick one. For me the cost of having to take a day of holiday in the event that my internet was out would be quite a lot more than two weeks of FTTC. Just the cost of a return train journey into the office wouldn't have been far off.
Fair --- but I am already on FTTP. Presumably I can't receive two services down the same line and some kind of cutover has to happen no matter what. My question is whether that cutover will be disruptive or invisible.

Soldato
Fair --- but I am already on FTTP. Presumably I can't receive two services down the same line and some kind of cutover has to happen no matter what. My question is whether that cutover will be disruptive or invisible.
In my case I have two different FTTP cables pulled into my flat. Therefore they both ran concurrently until my original FTTP service was ceased. So a little different to your situation where your new FTTP will probably use the same cable meaning there may be some switchover period.

Associate
Just to give an idea (not on/moving to Lit) - my Openreach install is taking place on 10th, but Virgin doesn’t go off until the 17th.

Give yourself a week or two in case of installation delays - gives plenty of time to delay the disconnection if needed.

Associate
The service from Lit Fibre will not be supplied via the EE (Openreach) fibre. LF will pull their own fibre. Go with Virgin and potentially you can have 3 FTTP connections to your house each with their own box on the outside.

Last edited:
Associate
No.

I had Lit overlapping with my BT FTTC for about two weeks. Either you cannot afford downtime or you cannot afford to pay for two services at the same time, you have to pick one. For me the cost of having to take a day of holiday in the event that my internet was out would be quite a lot more than two weeks of FTTC. Just the cost of a return train journey into the office wouldn't have been far off.

Yeah, I would agree with this, you either risk it or you don't. What I will say is that for me the install + activation date worked perfectly as promised when I ordered. I was moving from EE broadband to Lit Fibre and was out of contract, so I was able to cancel pretty quickly after Lit was installed (I even got a refund for my partial unused month :) ). I was working from home so couldn't have any internet disruption.

Caporegime

There won't be a cutover, Lit will install a new fibre and new ONT for their service, it won't affect the operation of your existing Openreach-based connection.

Caporegime
I'm torn, it would be nice if everybody had one fibre cable that ran back to a place where different ISPs could just patch it over to their service, but then you have no options for resilience or having separate work and home connections or things like that.

Associate
I suppose once a service has been put in once though, it can be activated more easily again - so it’s theoretically possible to switch between 2 providers without issue

Soldato
Here's my two FTTP installs...

Install #1 Separate ONT and Router

Q7W8PBm.jpeg

Install #2 (Current) Router with ONT built-in

jJOXwD4.jpeg

Soldato
I'm torn, it would be nice if everybody had one fibre cable that ran back to a place where different ISPs could just patch it over to their service, but then you have no options for resilience or having separate work and home connections or things like that.
Aren't you basically describing the first 40 years of internet there though? :) I don't remember having multiple copper pulls! And those who wanted two lines could pay extra to have it pulled.

Back
Top Bottom