Looking for a MMORPG to be immersed in.

Soldato
I'm feeling like I'm missing something.

I have a lot of games, and generally I dabble in them with sporadic game time.

But I want one game that is my go to.

I've always been one for MMORPG but never having got into them for one reason or another but I'm looking for one now.

I've not really been social to the degree of in game chat but perhaps that's one area I'm missing out on, i feel quite "alone" gaming wise and I don't really like that so that needs to change.

I rendered I did buy Elder Scrolls Online up to Elsweyer, and as far as I know if I subscribe to ESO Plus there isn't any need to buy additional packs? Is there a big player base in this game here and elsewhere?

Any other suggestions?

Soldato
I've always been one for MMORPG but never having got into them for one reason or another but I'm looking for one now.
There is a reason for that. MMORPGs are generally trash and never came close to actualising what they were promising.

My advice is to find a group that hosts gaming nights and rotates between different games.

Last edited:
Associate

I've not really been social to the degree of in game chat but perhaps that's one area I'm missing out on, i feel quite "alone" gaming wise and I don't really like that so that needs to change.

I rendered I did buy Elder Scrolls Online up to Elsweyer, and as far as I know if I subscribe to ESO Plus there isn't any need to buy additional packs? Is there a big player base in this game here and elsewhere?

Any other suggestions?
Im in the same boat, but im filling my time currently with Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth which is taking a lot of my spare time, but i do feel like a MMORPG is something i should enjoy but never can get into, the last one i spent any meaningful time with was Fallout 76, but that was a lone expierence.

Associate
You're probably about 14 years too late ; MMORPGs have nowhere near the popularity they once did. The most popular ones now are probably Final Fantasy 14, World of Warcraft ( even after all this time ) and Lost Ark. There are others eg. Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, ESO ( which you mentioned ) and a slew of Asian/Korean based ones. But the audiences are smaller & more niche. Online communities/gaming has really shifted towards "spectating" via Twitch and FPS/GaaS titles eg. Valorant, Fortnite, Warzone etc.

Soldato
If you can find a good community of likeminded gamers then the game doesn't mater as much. Unfortunately, now it is really just the sweaty types who base their whole personality around a game they play and wont tolerate anything less than the current meta builds etc. Or games like FFXIV which I bailed out fast from as it was mainly kids taking pictures of characters they spent ages getting skimpy outfits for and other stuff that just made me think I wouldn't have enjoyed that crowd even when I was their age.
Also any game where they insist you use Discord is an insta-nope for me, cba with it.

Soldato

Any other suggestions?

What type are you interested in? What activities do you prefer? I think one of the most important decisions up front is do you like FPS type aiming or TAB aiming?

I play them, but I tend to prefer the obscure stuff that no one else likes. Like spending long hours hunting rare monsters, or sailing, hunting sea monsters.

You tend to find me in Black Desert. Honestly it's not really one that I would recommend, it's too "pay to win" but it is has sailing so I spend a bit of time in there. PVP'ers seem to like it.

Of the ones I have tried, Final Fantasy XIV was the best. It is a pay per month subscription, but it is a vast game. And unlike the free ones, everything can be earnt in-game. For example, last time I counted, there were about 70 different rides and they were all rewards for completing in-game targets. I never associated with the community so I can't tell you what it's like.

As a completely different ball-game, Destiny 2. It's amazingly playable, albeit horrendously confusing at first. It's a very team oriented game and you won't get too far solo. The community is generally very friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Used to be my favourite genre but sadly its a genre very much on life support now (life support with the Docs considering pulling the plug) , the heyday of MMOs, its golden age, was imo the 1997 to 2005 period. For me its been pretty much all downhill since then. I think these days, if I was forced to pick one for someone to play, I'd say Guild Wars 2, purely for the amount of content for your money, the aesthetics and its viability both solo and grouped. But even that one is in the shadow of the MMO golden age.

Soldato
Used to be my favourite genre but sadly its a genre very much on life support now (life support with the Docs considering pulling the plug) , the heyday of MMOs, its golden age, was imo the 1997 to 2005 period. For me its been pretty much all downhill since then. I think these days, if I was forced to pick one for someone to play, I'd say Guild Wars 2, purely for the amount of content for your money, the aesthetics and its viability both solo and grouped. But even that one is in the shadow of the MMO golden age.

Oh god we've set him off about the 'good ol days' again.

Soldato
Everquest & ISBoxer :cry:

Run 3 clients on your PC and hire 3 mercenaries - you have your own party and never need to interact with anyone again! Also there is 25 years worth of content.

Soldato

Any other suggestions?

There's hundreds of free hours in FFXIV, the sub is very cheap too, as low as £7.60 for 30 days.

There's pretty much endless content and variety as well, you don't have to do anything beyond the main story quest either, and you can play every "job" which is FFXIV for "class" on one carachter. It's the best MMO out there, but it's not for everyone's cup of tea, but no MMO is.

Beyond that you're looking at ESO and GW, WOW's best days are long long gone, I wouldn't bother. After that you have got PTW Korean rubbish like LA, and potatoe level Old School Runescape.

Soldato
The only MMO I still play regularly is Guild Wars 2. It's a 10 year old MMO but doesn't feel it because of the art style. It still has a lot of people playing so there's the social side there if you want it, but it also plays just fine solo. The community is pretty friendly, helpful and relaxed for the most part.

The combat is fast paced and fun. Exploration is a big part of the gameplay and linked to this are various mounts which all have different purposes, plus the gliding ability.

It's a game with lots of different modes, some are great solo, some you need to group for (loosely for world events, more traditionally for Fractals, Dungeons and Strikes. There's also World vs World which is bit like Cyrodil in ESO or RvR in Daoc, but more chaotic (although some realms are better organised than others). Plus competitive PvP if that's your thing.

To get the best out of the game you do need all the expansions as these add a variety of different ways to travel. But there's no monthly fee, so once you have the expansions you're good to go. Also because progression is 'horizontal' once you hit level cap, the expansions and living world content stay relevant and are usually well populated, unlike other MMOs. Gear that you gain or craft always stays relevant. As such, it's a game you can dip in and out of without worrying too much about losing your progression.

The GW2 art style, story telling and humour is a matter of taste. Personally I love it, but you could find out easily enough from the free trial if it's your thing or not.

There's also FFXIV that's worth a look if you like story driven MMOs but the story in that is HUGE and you will get forced into grouping for dungeons and raids in order to progress the story. But again, the community is very friendly and helpful so it's not usually a problem.

In general though, as others have said, the age of MMOs seems to have passed. But GW2 and FFXIV are two that have had a bit of success hanging in there.

Soldato
Agree

Ultima Online
Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft

That was basically those 8 years for me (and a bit of Eve Online)

I find in many games these days people don't communicate outside their own set little groups and are far less likely to just chill with randoms. Some of my best memories in gaming were meeting random people in Ultima / DAOC and spending 2-3 hours doing random stuff.

Soldato
I remember EQ2 briefly. Think it started off in a little island village thing, and I enjoyed that part but then it opened up and I went back to WOW.
I probably tried every mmo that was released post 2004. One I didnt was a car combat game, forgot the name.. was Auto Assault.
Conan was similar, had a great start zone with all voice acting etc but then you left and it was meh.
Actually, I never tried the lord of the rings one either because although I liked the films, I don't particularly get excited about the setting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom