Looking for a MMORPG to be immersed in.

Associate
They've still not fixed the Cyrodiil lag? It was the main thing that drew me to ESO (I found the PVE really dull) and had a lot of fun in Cyrodiil when it wasn't lagging. Sadly it lagged far too often and I gave up on the game several years ago. Have often thought about taking another look, but if they haven't fixed the lag it's rather pointless.

They replaced and upgraded the EU servers in April 2023, although I have never experienced any lag in several years (I play at 4k) and I suspect those that complain have potato PCs or bad internet connections.

In the last year they have also added AMD FSR, Nvidia DLSS, frame gen and multi-threaded CPU rendering, which help with performance.

Associate
How much do you have to spend on GW2? I see the game is about a tenner but then all the DLC?
I enjoyed even the base game TBH, I've got the first 2 expansions and I've bought I think a character slot, a permanent salvage tool, and a permanent pickaxe and that's it. But I've claimed all the Living World stories (individual missions) AFAIK, which if you want to do them you now need to buy them IIRC. But the way I play may not be the way you play, so YMMV. I don't feel like anything I've paid for outside the expansion were needed except maybe character slots - there are more classes than slots.
It really depends what you want out of the game TBH.

IMHO, give the F2P game a go, you've got nothing to lose and I think you'll soon learn whether you like it or not. I don't know whether the steam version is the way to go or not as I got it before it was a thing, so I've got no option.

Soldato
They replaced and upgraded the EU servers in April 2023, although I have never experienced any lag in several years (I play at 4k) and I suspect those that complain have potato PCs or bad internet connections.

In the last year they have also added AMD FSR, Nvidia DLSS, frame gen and multi-threaded CPU rendering, which help with performance.

It's widely documented online that regardless of pc or connection cyrodiil pvp was awful. Resolution is nothing to do with it. Search 'cyrodiil lag'. It's great they've added performance improvements but a fairly basic pc could run it anyway. The server change wouldn't tempt me back, just so dull after around 800cp.

Soldato

I played ESO at launch and then for about six years on and off. Had two different PCs in that time, one was recommended spec, the other exceeded the recommended spec by a long way. Both lagged badly in Cyrodiil whenever the zone was busy and also in PVE events with lots of players around. It wasn't my Internet connection either. Never had problems with PvP or busy events in any other MMO, with one exception, SWTOR. Any coincidence that SWTOR runs on a modified Hero engine, just like ESO does?

It's good they've added DLSS and FSR but I wonder how much that can help with responsive gameplay in a busy PvP environment where timing is everything.

Soldato
I jump into GW2 every now and then for a couple of months - for example I've literally just got my Skyscale :)cry:) and knocked out the Seasons of Dragons meta achievement. Not overly impressed with the new expansion personally and I'm just pottering around in WvW now.

Think I burnt myself out on classic WoW playing on the unofficial HC server and then the official one as SoD just wasn't doing it for me (also found that it was full of the worst element of the wow community, probably didn't help)

Soldato
I went through this exact thing not that long ago. Turns out all of them are completely different from the traditional EQ, DAoC and even original WoW. Very little social interaction, little to no jeopardy and all very disappointing.

Caporegime
I went through this exact thing not that long ago. Turns out all of them are completely different from the traditional EQ, DAoC and even original WoW. Very little social interaction, little to no jeopardy and all very disappointing.
the age of the single player mmo

Soldato
wouldnt BG3 / DOS2 sort of fall in to this category if you playing with others? most people playing mmo's often play with thesame people.

ESO still seems very active and popular

i was going to mention this also.
but notised there was an "Old School RuneScape"?

Old school is just the version that predated rs3 released in 2013. Definitely worth checking out as there's a lot of content that is free to try

Soldato
OP
I'm going to have a dabble of FFXIV, if I don't get on with it, try ESO Plus for the majority of the content and simply see how I get on. And then move on from there and to avoid getting overwhelmed.

Associate
I rendered I did buy Elder Scrolls Online up to Elsweyer, and as far as I know if I subscribe to ESO Plus there isn't any need to buy additional packs? Is there a big player base in this game here and elsewhere?
AFAIK, you'll get access to all the expansions except the latest one with plus. Not sure about the dlc for the latest expansion.

Soldato
I'm going to have a dabble of FFXIV, if I don't get on with it, try ESO Plus for the majority of the content and simply see how I get on. And then move on from there and to avoid getting overwhelmed.

Any MMO worth playing demands commitment, you've got to learn the game and then sink time into it, are you sure you want the commitment?

For many people it's their only game.

Last edited:
Soldato

FFXIV is a wonderful MMO but it's a truly huge time investment to get through the story and levelling progression. Definitely worth it if you have the time, but just so you know what's ahead :)

Soldato
I've always been one for MMORPG but never having got into them for one reason or another but I'm looking for one now.

For a very different sort of MMO, look at Aces High, an online WW2 (and sometimes WW1) air combat simulator. I haven't played in over a decade but it's been going since 1999, though I note with concern that the game hasn't been updated in some years. You'll want a HOTAS.

Associate
After all this I'm probably going to try ESO since I already own the game, however not sure if I should pay for ESO+ or buy any expansion higher than Elsweyer (do I need to?)

No don't buy ESO+ just make alts if you need bagspace. As for DLC you can but crowns with gold to get the DLC. Only the expansions you have to pay cash for and they go on sale twice a year. You can currently get Thieves Guild DLC for free for the next week or so during the 10 year Anniversary event

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/65829

Soldato
If you don't count UO, which is clearly the most fun I've ever had in an MMO, I think Rift was the best. The way you could design your skill tree as you wish, change character type mid-dungeon ("Hmm, my tank isn't working, someone else tank and I can support?"), it was a breath of fresh air.

Read this thread as I was thinking similar myself yesterday. "I wonder if there's a good MMO I could lose myself in?"

Soldato
I'd recommend Guild Wars 2. No subscription. You buy the DLC's. There is no need to join a guild until you're doing world vs world, even then its not mandatory.

If you need help doing certain events you can post in chat, or search for groups looking to do that event.

There is a mass ton of content these days.

Back
Top Bottom