Lost my love of gaming :(

Soldato
Anyone having trouble with losing interest should give balatro a go. I’m hooked at the minute. :) it’s a poker-ish deck builder rogue-like, with over 150 jokers, which affect gameplay. Thought I’d hate it given the description, and I hate playing cards. But it’s good fun.

Soldato
I think this more common than one would imagine. I'm in the same boat. Have a ps5 and a very decent spec gaming pc and I genuinely can't find the time or inclination to do any gaming on either system. I don't know if it's an age thing, but I suspect it is an industry fed problem. Gaming g these days is quite unoriginal. See all the remakes and remasters as evidence of that. And then I look at live service games and grind fest like "looters shooters" and I find it difficult to get excited about anything.

Maybe at 42 gaming just isn't for me anymore.
That’s like me, although I got rid of my PC. Last game I enjoyed was probably Halo Infinite then TMNT Shredder’s Revenge. I am looking forward to GTA 6 although that might be next year.

Associate
I go through stages where I'm either fully invested into a game for months, or I'm just wanting something I can pick-up and have a quick blast on without having to put much thought into it......I do prefer RPG or good story driven games, but certainly over the last 2-3 years I've found myself draw towards games with less of a steep learning curve..... I was a big Destiny/Destiny 2 and The Division fan, but if you can't consistently keep at them and stay up-to-date you just feel lost when booting up after a few months, which with life lately, always seems to be the case, games just become less accessible.

Associate
I think the massive testosterone rush, coupled with the giddy mind creates something special,a natural high. Everything is possible. Even rubbish graphics don't matter. Your mind fills in the gaps. Being young is a special time. That's what I told my kids. You're only a teenager once, you're only in your twenties once etc etc. Enjoy it while it lasts. I think they understood.

Soldato
I think it's important to play the type of games that you enjoy the most and not force yourself into some grindy daily quests always online games etc. I have done it all and got burned out so many times, currently only sticking to short single player games and having a blast, although I do prefer shorter gaming sessions.

Associate
I think it's important to play the type of games that you enjoy the most and not force yourself into some grindy daily quests always online games etc. I have done it all and got burned out so many times, currently only sticking to short single player games and having a blast, although I do prefer shorter gaming sessions.
Yep, pretty sure daily quest type games are what burnt me out the first time, doing it out of habit rather than particular enjoyment. After coming back to gaming if I ever find myself feeling bored with a game even if I've already put a decent amount of hours into it I'll always just drop it rather than trying to keep playing like I used to do.

Caporegime
I just gave my Series X to my daughter as I have spent hardly any time on it what so ever in the 3 years I have had it.

I play more on my Nintendo Switch however as Nintendo seem to know what I like in terms of a great single player game.

I am still waiting for something epic like Mass Effect, Bio Shock, Red Dead 2, GTAV.

I think we are going through a mini crisis like in the 80's as there is just way too much shovel ware around at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
It must be an age thing. I'm in my 40s as well and just the thought of starting a new game feels like a chore, and has done for a few years now. Gaming PC hadn't been touched for years so I dismantled it and started selling off the parts, moved to a mini PC instead. Still have a PS5 which I do switch on often but I prefer something that requires no thought or effort, just a quick blast, be it for 10 mins or even an hour. Rocket league still fits the bill for me there, several years ago it use to be SSF4. Even these sorts of games though, you will get players spending hours in training mode whereas I prefer to learn on the go and just play, haven't got the time to faff about, it's not like I'm looking to enter any tournaments any time soon.

Man of Honour
I'm the same with modern games they are all a bit "meh" the only thing i play now is sim racing in VR which is fun but if i wan't to get the old love of gaming back i turn to my retro collection firing up my megadrive or snes to play some classics with all the nostalgia and happy memories it makes me feel all warm inside!

Soldato
I oftern go through this pain of loseing my love of gaming, mostly because of work getting me too tired to even want to game in the evening. theres some games coming out this year I really want to play so I hope I get back into it either that or time to change jobs lol.

Associate
As a kid I thought when I grew older and got a job that I would buy all the consoles and games and continue playing.

The reality though is that my last console was an nintendo wiiU and I have pretty much stopped playing games, occasionally play counterstrike but I just find I dont have the time with family, work and going gym.

Would love to just sit and dive deep into a game again though, like back in the day when as a kid you would get hooked on a game and spend hours enjoying it, like final fantasy 7, chrono trigger, zeldas etc.

Associate
It must be an age thing. I'm in my 40s as well and just the thought of starting a new game feels like a chore, and has done for a few years now. Gaming PC hadn't been touched for years so I dismantled it and started selling off the parts, moved to a mini PC instead. Still have a PS5 which I do switch on often but I prefer something that requires no thought or effort, just a quick blast, be it for 10 mins or even an hour. Rocket league still fits the bill for me there, several years ago it use to be SSF4. Even these sorts of games though, you will get players spending hours in training mode whereas I prefer to learn on the go and just play, haven't got the time to faff about, it's not like I'm looking to enter any tournaments any time soon.
I think this is something that Helldivers 2 makes it stand out from the rest it's perfect for the scenario you've just mentioned if you've got a cheeky 30-45 mins free it's unparalleled and because there is no real stand out meta it doesn't matter what loadout you run (unless your going for the higher tier difficulties).

Soldato
It's difficult to find a good game these days.
I have had several of my go-to games ruined by devs in the past year. Destiny 2 and Black Desert. It's left me struggling to find something to play.

Soldato
Not played anything properly in months now.

Think I’m done for a few years, just find most games either tedious or boring and it’s a complete waste of time if I’m getting nothing from it.
I am back playing old stuff like Might & Magic 6. I even got a PS3 Frankensteined recently, modern gaming is crap mostly anyway.

Soldato
I think this is something that Helldivers 2 makes it stand out from the rest it's perfect for the scenario you've just mentioned if you've got a cheeky 30-45 mins free it's unparalleled and because there is no real stand out meta it doesn't matter what loadout you run (unless your going for the higher tier difficulties).
Agreed Helldivers 2 is perfect to just pick up and play. Having a great time with it.

Back
Top Bottom