Lost my love of gaming :(

Soldato
You’re basically me. 54 here and also happily lost in RDR2’s wilderness. Mostly I am ignoring the missions and just hunting and fishing and enjoying the beautiful game world they created. My Ragnarok disk is just sat in the drive waiting for me to get back into it and right now I have no real desire to do that.
Ha, my twin :) yeah - I love just 'existing' in the world (as I did the first one)...it was just a bit 'heavy' to get into, but now it's clicked I love it (although I need to watch some tutorials on the fast draw mech which I can't sus).

Well I've been off gaming for a long time now, I'd say around 6 weeks. I just don't get the time or even want to. I'm 42 with 2 kids and where I used to stay up late and game I now just watch TV or just go to bed. It's a shame really
I'm not sure what games you'd play, but try something fresh - I never liked minecraft type games but I'm a sucker for the zombie genre, I absolutely love zombie games so 7 days to die I got really into, DayZ even - and then I got (and loved) No Mans Sky - the thing with these games is that I can just 'chill' in them (well, not 7 days but I enjoy the grind)...don't know what it is - I switch between games which are essentially a waste of time and then the really strong SP like Last of Us.

Soldato
OP
Has the love returned and did any specific game(s) help?
It has indeed! The Sniper Elite series has grabbed me, but the winning combo is Switch and Steam Deck. Handheld mobile gaming is the only way I can really do it, and it's enabled me to play at any point I get 5 to 30 minutes to myself.

Playing Tom Clancy's Wildlands at the moment, really enjoying the massive open world.

Associate
It has indeed! The Sniper Elite series has grabbed me, but the winning combo is Switch and Steam Deck. Handheld mobile gaming is the only way I can really do it, and it's enabled me to play at any point I get 5 to 30 minutes to myself.

Playing Tom Clancy's Wildlands at the moment, really enjoying the massive open world.
Good stuff sir, big fan of the Sniper Elite series. You should also try the Zombie Army trilogy if you haven’t already if and when they’re on special.

I haven’t played my Deck for a while I need to go back and try and finish Octopath Traveller 2 and have some and have a play with some old SNES classics.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Good stuff sir, big fan of the Sniper Elite series. You should also try the Zombie Army trilogy if you haven’t already if and when they’re on special.

I haven’t played my Deck for a while I need to go back and try and finish Octopath Traveller 2 and have some and have a play with some old SNES classics.
I'll pick up the Zombie Army one, thanks for the recommendation - I'll get it for my Switch. As much as I like the Steam Deck, the Switch is my favourite console if I can get the game on it. Played Sniper Elite 2 to 4 on the Switch, then 5 on the Deck.

Associate
I've lost my interest in gaming,and it's been about 5 years since I've been bothered with it. I tend to be nostalgic and play Burnout 2 and F-Zero GX and some old platforms. I have hundreds of games, but I just can't be arsed anymore. I feel sad about it. My favourite games were always single player,and it saddens me that I can't get that motivation back.

Associate
Hopefully it will come back, maybe it will maybe it won't. I do enjoy sitting with my Son showing him games he's missed. I got him into Bayonetta 2 on Wii-U recently,he loves it as he's a big fan of Metal Gear Rising. I actually sent him a tenner tonight as Bayonetta/Vanquish is on sale for £9 on PS4. I'm gonna set up Streets Of Rage 2 (bomber games version) for when he and she come up next,show em the good old times :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I lost my interest late last year, but I purchased a ps5 again recently and im enjoying God of War and Pacific Drive currently, apart from the latter new game, I like to replay some older games or finish some I never completed, after god of war I might try Uncharted franchise again.
I have both xbox and ps5 so plenty to dig into when I feel like it.

Last edited:
Associate
As mentioned, it helps to have small responsibilities to avoid.

Also, follow your interests. I've started getting into games that require use of a spreadsheet and programming skills, plus sims requiring looking things up in a manual.

VR is also a fresh start, expectially for sims.
What games require a spreadsheet?

Also aware this is a late reply

Soldato

Puzzled by that too. Maybe he is talking about min / maxing gear at end game. There were some great spreadsheets kicking about for gear optimisation on the Reddit sub for The Division games. Expect Destiny and other looter shooters have them too but I had never delved that deep into them.

Soldato
No games require one but a lot of people enjoy the min/max element and recording every stat possible. Even games like stardew valley, some wanted to know the value of every item you could sell etc so these things always end up getting recorded.

Associate
I think this gen of gaming is the worst in my lifetime. Can't tell you the last time a game blew me away.

I watch some reviews on various games and they always put me off diving into them. We've had some hyped titles released but they always seem to be unfinished or unpolished in some way. If only i was a kid who could happily waste all day with a one game if it was all i had, then i could appreciate the positives. Now it's like i won't bother unless i know it's worth it as time is limited.

But i'm stingy with my wallet which adds to the issue.

SW Battlefront 2 remake (old now even) really annoyed me, just a massive DLC grab, and even then unfinished still.

But Resi 2 did blow me away. Perfect in every way, yet i got it late for the discount. I'd have happily given £50 for it, but the state of gaming is to blame for their own devaluing.

Soldato
I think this more common than one would imagine. I'm in the same boat. Have a ps5 and a very decent spec gaming pc and I genuinely can't find the time or inclination to do any gaming on either system. I don't know if it's an age thing, but I suspect it is an industry fed problem. Gaming g these days is quite unoriginal. See all the remakes and remasters as evidence of that. And then I look at live service games and grind fest like "looters shooters" and I find it difficult to get excited about anything.

Maybe at 42 gaming just isn't for me anymore.

Soldato

Puzzled by that too. Maybe he is talking about min / maxing gear at end game. There were some great spreadsheets kicking about for gear optimisation on the Reddit sub for The Division games. Expect Destiny and other looter shooters have them too but I had never delved that deep into them.
I remember spreadsheets and calculators were particularly useful in X3: Terrain Conflict in station building. Didn't play much of X4: Foundations to see if they're useful there too.

I think there are several games out there where additional support is particularly useful.

Associate
There was about a 10 year period where I didn't really enjoy gaming but the Souls series got me back into it and now I enjoy various genres again. Usually older games though, not that interested in many of the newer games

Soldato
I think this more common than one would imagine. I'm in the same boat. Have a ps5 and a very decent spec gaming pc and I genuinely can't find the time or inclination to do any gaming on either system. I don't know if it's an age thing, but I suspect it is an industry fed problem. Gaming g these days is quite unoriginal. See all the remakes and remasters as evidence of that. And then I look at live service games and grind fest like "looters shooters" and I find it difficult to get excited about anything.

42 pfft you’re a pup lol. PS5 and a PC Helldivers 2 says hello. Seriously good and I am a sprightly 54!

Last edited:
Associate
Nearly 50 and love Titanfall 2, Baldur's Gate 3, and Street Fighter 6.

I love well made games. I relish multiplayer games as well, good for the reflexes!

I cannot get into Red Dead Redemption 2, must be a lack of patience. Its a great game, but slow!

Associate

Go get yourself some emulators. GameCube games and Dreamcast games look fantastic through emulation. Even better than modern games imo. There's a fan made remake of Streets Of Rage 2 from a group called BomberGames.net. CD quality audio, reworked resolution, textures and everything in-between. I think they got taken down a long while ago,but if you like sailing you'll be fine. I'm 41 btw so I feel you bro.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom