***Lumia 950/950XL***

Associate
If only the app situation was better and it had a fingerprint over an Iris scanner.

Yea Iris scanning is a bit like face unlock from google and it's annoying to have to raise phone so it sees your face or eye I guess rather than just resting you finger on home button which you can do with the phone at any angle

Associate
The camera design of the 950 is pretty horrid compared to the XL. I wish they'd just used the same design.

Also are they the mic holes near the top and bottom on the back? Seems like they'd be pretty easy to cover up when recording video. I have the same problem on my 808; I'm always covering up the right mic by accident.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They have it enabled, but you need a NFC payment sim and I don't know how available they are. To keep carriers happy, rather than storing data on phones, it's stored on secure sim cards, unfortunately can't fond much about this. Other than MS have done this as some carriers have blocked android pay. And orange in France where first on board back in 2011.
Something you'll have to ask your provider about.

I haven't had an NFC phone so haven't looked into it much, certainly interested in the answer if anyone knows more info.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in 2 minds about this. I've always loved the philosophy Nokia (or Microsoft now I guess) take towards cameras on phones, and I hope by now they've been able to refine the Pureview technology (and hopefully sort out the OIS which was pretty poor in the 1020 IMO) so that it's near perfection. I mean obviously right now it's difficult to take the camera samples seriously because it's Microsoft reps showing off promotional photos. I have faith in them though, and I believe the camera will be class leading.

However, I'm seriously not convinced by Windows Phone OS in the slightest. I have an 808, which I got because the camera on my M8 is pants. The 808 is cheap and fairly small, so I have no qualms carrying both devices at the same time. With the 950/XL being flagships, it's going to be difficult justifying buying one of these solely for the camera, so I'd have to use it as a daily driver, which I don't think will be an enjoyable experience, as I really love the near limitless customisation options on Android, especially with a custom ROM.

Associate
I cant help but feel that they would be better off priced around £100 lower to attract more people away from Android / Apple. Microsoft could easily afford the loss and it would most likely help them increase their overall market share in the long run.

They do both look like good phones though and I will be considering them when it comes to an upgrade from my Nexus 5 :)

Back
Top Bottom