***Lumia 950/950XL***

Soldato
I really love the near limitless customisation options on Android, especially with a custom ROM.

I think that's the main thing holding me back, along with the lack of apps. Windows 10 seems nice enough to me but I'd miss the ability to customise things as I like, not that I go for custom ROMs but there's still a lot you can do with Android.

Caporegime
I hope battery life is good. The 920 is very poor in this respect. Lucky now if i get 20 hours on a full charge with very limited use, worse now when im at work in an area with a poor signal. But i do like the windows os, sure it's limited on apps compared to say android. But it suits my use. And it is so easy to use and sycing with a pc or laptop is a doddle.

Caporegime
Well, you have swappable batteries now, so that's something.
Yep, definitely a good move on that front. Recently my 920 battery life got even worse. Priced up a new battery and fitting it in. Was gonna cost £35.00. Thankfully got it sorted by buying a new charger. A loose wire in the original one was the culprit. The slightest movement of the phone whilst charging cut the connection.

Man of Honour
I hope battery life is good. The 920 is very poor in this respect. Lucky now if i get 20 hours on a full charge with very limited use, worse now when im at work in an area with a poor signal. But i do like the windows os, sure it's limited on apps compared to say android. But it suits my use. And it is so easy to use and sycing with a pc or laptop is a doddle.

The battery life on my 1520 has been amazing (compared to how pitiful most smart phones are). I can always get two days and sometimes 3.

Associate
Yep, definitely a good move on that front. Recently my 920 battery life got even worse. Priced up a new battery and fitting it in. Was gonna cost £35.00. Thankfully got it sorted by buying a new charger. A loose wire in the original one was the culprit. The slightest movement of the phone whilst charging cut the connection.

How does a faulty charger affect the battery life? Surely it would either charge the phone or not charge at all, but I don't see how it would cause it to suddenly lose hours of battery life when unplugged.

Soldato
Is anything known about how Microsoft are going to incentivise development of universal apps?

They will probably tout the installed user base, 110 million devices running Windows 10 right now + Xbox One soon to get it as well as a lot of existing Windows 8.1 phones will get the upgrade.

Soldato
They will probably tout the installed user base, 110 million devices running Windows 10 right now + Xbox One soon to get it as well as a lot of existing Windows 8.1 phones will get the upgrade.

I hope they've got something better in mind than that, all that really matters is the windows mobile user base, and sadly that's still low. I hope it rises, I really do.

Man of Honour
MS ******** up in America again, at&t will be the only carrier and available unlocked through Ms store. Despite T-Mobile despite to offer it, even tweeting there disgust. And MS themselfa have said all US carriers were interested in stocking it.

Soldato
OP
lol...I wouldn't believe a thing TMob says, they took WP mobiles off shelves after 3 months, and people are still waiting for Lumia Black update on there mobiles.

No, This comes down to MS saying, we don't want you to handle the updates now, cause you messed up so badly..so we will be sorting it from now on, and you are to put NO kind of bloatware on out phones, AT&T said that was fine, the others are still allowed to sell the 950 range, Tmob are just trying to look like the good guys.

They have been asked several time on twitter " okay, if offered will you stock it then..yes or no definite".....yea...they havnt answered that.

Soldato
OP
I hope they've got something better in mind than that, all that really matters is the windows mobile user base, and sadly that's still low. I hope it rises, I really do.

Well considering MS did such a good job with Asotria that if you hack a little you can get Android Apps running natively on WIN10, Devs from them really have very little excuse.

Soldato
Well considering MS did such a good job with Asotria that if you hack a little you can get Android Apps running natively on WIN10, Devs from them really have very little excuse.

I hope you're right. I just know the company I work for have said no point in developing a windows app while it has such a low user base, and I fear many companies will think like this. Again, hope I'm wrong.

Associate
I don't think any company is making an "excuse" to not.
Many simply don't care or don't really want to put out an app then having to support it long term.

I hope the situation does change though.
The 950 is looking like a solid price, although I don't think I'd pay that much for a Windows Phone especially.

Soldato
OP
I hope you're right. I just know the company I work for have said no point in developing a windows app while it has such a low user base, and I fear many companies will think like this. Again, hope I'm wrong.

Is your company UK based?...cause I think the UK install base is rather healthy for what it is.

Man of Honour
Yep UK based and UK customers, maybe I should suggest they need to take another look at this. :)

I think a lot of regional companies don't look at regional stats. Despite no flagship phones sales are still 11.3% in UK for windows phone, 33.7% for ios and 54.1% for android that 3 month stats ending august 2015 from kantar. That's a decent user base in uk.
And EU as a whole WP is doing quite well. It's the massive markets it's failing at, USA and china are barely of the start line.

And on top of that some apps are so much better than desktop/website alternatives, which means you could potentially massively benefit from windows 10 universal apps in general.

Really wished the banks would jumps on windows on all platforms, the apps are so much mire user friendly than websites. It's the biggest apps I miss, as well as amazon video.

Last edited:
Soldato
Really wished the banks would jumps on windows. It's the biggest apps I miss, as well as amazon video.

Yeah, when I was looking at what apps I might miss I noticed a few banks have windows apps but sadly mine (nationwide) still doesn't. It wouldn't be a massive issue, but its nice to have.

Associate
With Nationwide as well and they have a user request on there website asking for an app for windows phone 8 with 44000 + people voting for it, that plus all the people who haven't voted is not a small amount of people and for a bank the cost of creating an app is nothing (The back end for all the apps will be same I would have thought) .

Natwest who I am also with have had an app for years and is so nice to use. I have just changed to Lloyds today but even there app looks like its just a wrapper for the mobile site. Really is no excuses for these large companies to not have apps for the 3 main platforms. (No matter if you like or hate windows phone, it is not going to go away)

Soldato
OP
Yep UK based and UK customers, maybe I should suggest they need to take another look at this. :)

As above, ignore worldwide share (unless its relevant to your company or what it sells, but in the EU and the UK, its been "healthy", that's being nice, but that's been years with budget phone, no advertising, no buzz and deffo no new flagship since the 930, which was a couple of years ago I think.

If they have an Android app, if you can, tell them to look into MS Astoria, it should be REALLY simple to drop most of the Droid stuff into it with minimal changes.

Soldato
OP
Natwest who I am also with have had an app for years and is so nice to use. I have just changed to Lloyds today but even there app looks like its just a wrapper for the mobile site. Really is no excuses for these large companies to not have apps for the 3 main platforms. (No matter if you like or hate windows phone, it is not going to go away)

I was getting a bit sick of my bank and its very old sign in for Banking that I was looking at Natwest, have to say it was nice to see they also had a top rated app in the store.
Though, it seems to be the ONLY UK bank I think?

Back
Top Bottom