M4 SSD 5200 hour timebomb

Soldato
Crucial release a firmware update that increases speed big time but destroys life span of cells at the same time. Makes you think why so many peeps have the Vertex 2E on this forum??

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
All the more reason to have Windows 7 System Images of your OS drive SSD on a HDD :p I create weekly backups just in case but so far SandForce has no stumbled a single time on the F3.

Soldato
I've had my M4 64GB since November as SSD cache drive on my Z68 board so wonder what will happen after 5200 hours?..... I will probably flash to the new firmware when it comes out .

Soldato
Crucial release a firmware update that increases speed big time but destroys life span of cells at the same time. Makes you think why so many peeps have the Vertex 2E on this forum??
Yeah except that isn't what happened.

Ill hold off ordering for now then..
Sure have a knee jerk reaction to an issue that's getting fixed in less than two weeks.

Wonder if this has anything to do with the 009 firmware at all?

They said it wasn't a firmware issue so who knows, they might have found out it was afterwards.

Soldato
I wouldn't worry, they have said there is a fix being tested. Release expected around the 16th Jan. Seems like pretty good response better than OCZ managed....

Soldato
Just ordered an m4 as well :p

Oh well im sure it will last a while at least i hope, what is the warranty on these anyhow? Is it actually possible to create an image of an SSD and restore it to a mechnical drive? If my drive does die i dont really want the hassle of having to install a new OS on a mechnical drive.

I take it you could take an SSD image then restore it once you recieved a replacement SSD?

Soldato
I think there needs to be some perspective here, as Im sure this will get fixed by an update.
Mechanical drives are not infallible either - I had a 1yr old WD 2TB drive fail on me last month, WD support were great and swapped it out but it goes to show that all things can fail...

Caporegime
Bit wierd if they're all bricking after a certain time period, surely wear should scale with usage (number of read/writes).. it's either going to be a bug or some sort of planned obsoletion mechanism. ;)

Associate
Hasn't altered my plans to get one or recommend them to people they have responded in what i feel is a timely and proper manner not trying to blame everyone or everything else for it and have a fix being released soon. If anything the way they have handled this has made me more confident in my choice in ordering one not less.

Soldato
This is the sort of price you pay for buying into new technology. I bought an M4 SSD at Christmas time and it's the sort of thing that will happen with such relatively new technology.

Obviously it's not ideal from a customer perspective but it looks like they've recognised it and plan to rectify it - which is fair enough really.

Associate
Just over 4000 hours here.

I am not worried cause it appears to be a 'glitch' that will be solved quick enough. From what I understand, it is taking 2 weeks since they have to verify the fix will work with all the various chipsets out there, so it sounds like a relatively simple solution.

Like some people have already pointed out, it is a bit annoying that some people will pounce on Crucial and SSD's for a problem that most people will not even experience.

As far as reliability goes, I have had 3 mechanical hard drives fail on me in the last year, so I am not complaining about my SSD.

Back
Top Bottom